Rescue of an Unconscious Diver Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are precious few caves where this happens. It's an anomaly found only in very shallow caves. I have yet to experience such a cave.

Note: A cave "can" not "does" :wink: There are a WIDE variety of diving situations -- possibly the writer took that into consideration as well??? I assume Florida has few caves with air, but I find caves such as The Bubble Cave and Sacred Cenotes so fascinating. I would rather visit them than dive down a 100+ feet into the abyss. Personal preference I assume.

I would send you up
I somehow, don't ever seeing us diving together. As far as I can tell over the internet, our diving styles, attitudes, philosophies and personalities are non-simpatico. In 48 years of diving, I've never been bent, nor have I had to deal with any life or death events and I attribute this success to the careful selection of my dive buddies as well as my establishment and adherence to conservative personal limits. Safe diving is all about making timely albeit cautious decisions and it's certainly 'no accident'. There's certainly nothing down there worth dying or getting injured over.

"Oh snap!"

I assume Florida has few caves with air, but I find caves such as The Bubble Cave and Sacred Cenotes so fascinating. I would rather visit them than dive down a 100+ feet into the abyss. Personal preference I assume.
There are many rules to survival while diving caverns or caves. It's my personal opinion that many people expose themselves to needless risk by doing "trust me" dives in Cenotes and even in Florida Caves. Too many die because of simple ignorance. Compared to the value of your life, getting properly trained in cavern and cave diving before you expose yourself to those risks is amazingly cheap. Here, what you don't know will kill you. Here is Lamar Hires' incredibly timely video on a Deceptively Easy Way to Die:

There are many rules to survival while diving caverns or caves. It's my personal opinion that many people expose themselves to needless risk by doing "trust me" dives in Cenotes and even in Florida Caves. Too many die because of simple ignorance. Compared to the value of your life, getting properly trained in cavern and cave diving before you expose yourself to those risks is amazingly cheap. Here, what you don't know will kill you. Here is Lamar Hires' incredibly timely video on a Deceptively Easy Way to Die:

Thank you! I don't know what the rules are yet, but I want to learn from someone who does! :)

. . .instead of sending the victim up alone on an uncontrolled buoyant ascent to ultimately embolize and drown on the surface. . .
Your reasoning is flawed here. You treat that as a given when it's not.
Ok Pete. . . I would send you up then in an uncontrolled buoyant ascent into a surface fog bank.

I'll somehow find you later when I finally surface, and start resuscitation efforts then as needed because it's not a given that you'll be immediately unconscious, embolized or drowned. . .
By your own flawed reasoning Pete, you would send up a toxing diver in an uncontrolled ascent into poor visibility/foggy surface conditions because as you say -it's not a given that that diver would embolize and drown. . .

Last edited:
Thank you! I don't know what the rules are yet, but I want to learn from someone who does! :)
I'm certain you'll learn them in time. I failed to point out that a 1000ft penetration dive by someone who has gone through the training is far, far safer than a 25ft penetration by someone who has not.
By your flawed reasoning Pete,
Ah Kev, you still don't get it. My emphasis is on preventing these kinds of scenarios. I would have called the dive due to fog waaaay before I got in the water. You seem to see these conditions as something to be conquered while I prefer to simply avoid them. This is why I posted what I did in my previous response to you. We are non-simpatico in most every respect. I adhere to my second rule of diving which I have named the Rule of Fun: You can call a dive at any time, for any reason with no questions asked and no repercussions.

Ok Pete. . . I would send you up then in an uncontrolled buoyant ascent into a surface fog bank.

I'll somehow find you later when I finally surface, and start resuscitation efforts then as needed because it's not a given that you'll be immediately unconscious, embolized or drowned. . .

By your own flawed reasoning Pete, you would send up a toxing diver in an uncontrolled ascent into poor visibility/foggy surface conditions because as you say -it's not a given that that diver would embolize and drown. . .

I can recommend reading up on Reductio ad absurdum and False dilemma. You're pretty close - if not way within - those fallacies. It may be that your diving style will bend you like a pretzel if you have to take your unconscious buddy to the surface, but that kind of diving isn't representative for the majority of diving around the world.

i think a useful endeavor is to practice this a few times and see just how long it takes. and then use that info to hammer into your head how important it is to avoid toxing in the first place.
gas selection, proper bottle marking, solid switching procedures (buddy verification of gas switches)
I've seen what happens when someone toxes underwater and it's not good. if it happens, hope it happens when you aren't in an overhead environment.

God forbid -if it's Elena you send up because "it's not a given" as you say Pete -in unabashed ignorance. . .
. . .

Ah Kev, you still don't get it. My emphasis is on preventing these kinds of scenarios. I would have called the dive due to fog waaaay before I got in the water. You seem to see these conditions as something to be conquered while I prefer to simply avoid them. This is why I posted what I did in my previous response to you. We are non-simpatico in most every respect. I adhere to my second rule of diving which I have named the Rule of Fun: You can call a dive at any time, for any reason with no questions asked and no repercussions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom