rescue signal equipment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I audio signaling device (Dive Alert) and one visual (6" yellow sausage)...Have had to use both.

I usually take with me a 3.5' SMB and my dive lights (HID primary and 2 backups). I own a dive alert, strobe and storm whistle. Since I'm starting to do more boat dives, and more dives where current might be an issue, I should probably start packing the other equipment. I also want to get a rescue streamer and a rescue reflector mirror. What I really need is a bag so I don't turn my left pocket into a CF -- i want to be able to find my backup mask in there by feel -- a backup mask, shears and a bag full of signalling equipment seems like it'd work out okay. If I could find a way to stuff it in my MC storage pak without digging into my back or breaking the plastic stuff that'd finally be a good use for that thing...

uscgrescueswimmer:
Sorry to here about them not getting back to you. Somebody should have gotten back with you. We are pretty busy but still its your Tax Dollars. Id give them another call and tell them you want to tour the station.

I guess the one piece of advice to give is make sure you tell someone reliable were you guys are going to dive and what time they should expect you back. This gives the search team a huge heads up when the time comes to look for you. The reason being say you and your wife go out diving and just tell some people your going diving. Well when no one heres from you and the CG gets the call. The people in the ops center have to do there home work on when you should have gotten back could you have stopped off some were. Then After that is all done they need to find out were you were supposed to dive. Then they get the area then they need to get the local police to see if you car is there. If it is then they need to get permission to launch a boat, a helo or what ever they deem necessary.
Now if you do it the correct way. You guys miss your deadline. Your reliable source says. Hey there not back they were supposed to be back at ??:?? this is were they dove. Now the ball is rolling alot faster they know all the facts right away and gets everything going faster. I hope this helps. Go take that tour.

You have answered one of my main questions. When I lived in the UK and dived with the club boat we always called the CG and told them when,where,how many and what time we should be back. Then a call when we got back to let them know. I have never heard of this being done in the US and wondered if this was a case of divers not doing it or the CG not wanting them to do it.

I will get back to them. Thanks

cdiver2:
You have answered one of my main questions. When I lived in the UK and dived with the club boat we always called the CG and told them when,where,how many and what time we should be back. Then a call when we got back to let them know. I have never heard of this being done in the US and wondered if this was a case of divers not doing it or the CG not wanting them to do it.

I will get back to them. Thanks
The US Coast Guard doesn't have the resources to take "float plans" from everyone, and encourages folks to leave it with a responsible individual. This is not only for divers but recreational boaters as well.

By the way, I hope everyone realizes that a sound device is good for attracting attention of a boat but useless for a helicopter.

uscgrescueswimmer:
I just had a question about what singnalling device's you guys dive with.

(2) 9 foot inflatable marker buoys (1 orange/1 yellow), Jotron strobe and Scubalert (air-horn).

If I get left, I plan on being very visible and noisy. :cool:

Terry

uscgrescueswimmer:
I just had a question about what singnalling device's you guys dive with.

BTW, I'd like to thank you and all your buddies for being willing to jump out of a perfectly good helicopter to save people!

Terry

Tend to have reflective strips on hood and other parts, a D8R torch, a SL6 backup torch, a strobe light, storm whistle and a large DSMB on me for every single dive i do.

Back
Top Bottom