rescue signal equipment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I just had a question about what singnalling device's you guys dive with. If you dont why not. The reason I was asking I am a helicopter rescueswimmer with the U.S. Coast Guard and have had the oppurtunity to rescue 2 divers about 2 years ago and being a diver my self had to ask why they had no signalling devices with them. Pretty much they were boat diving in pretty windy conditions about 10 miles off sure and some how they were seperated from the boat. The boat called the C.G. and we were sent out to look for these 2 guys. After searching for about 45 mins we spotted the one guy. (no signalling device) After I picked him up we proceeded to find the other guy about 15 minutes later. We flew them back to sure and went on our way with some thank you's. If it was about 1 hour later it was going to be dark and they had nothing to signal the helo with. So do you guys dive with anything special. Being a diver myself my bc looks more like a survival vest then a bcd. Thanks for the info.

I dive with a sound signalling device (hammerhead, dive alert, whistle etc - not debating the merits of any, just listing some examples) for the surface and a realistic safety sausage (ie not a flimsy tiny, short thing). Where you dive will often dictate the style of devices you need.

A light of some sort is a good idea, too...

I've tried to minimize, even though my sailing experiences color my thoughts about surface survival when diving in the open ocean.

At a minimum on a boat dive I'll carry SMB (orange sausage), whistle, mirror, and bright orange cap (sun protection plus visibility). Have also carried at one time or another water, dye pack, divealert horn.

Bryan

PS And a light, as Alcina mentioned (well, two, actually). And now that I think to mention it, I always take a bearing on the route back to land and write it on my slate before getting in the water, so my compass could count as survival gear too.

uscgrescueswimmer:
I just had a question about what signaling device's you guys dive with. If you dont why not. The reason I was asking I am a helicopter rescueswimmer with the U.S. Coast Guard and have had the oppurtunity to rescue 2 divers about 2 years ago and being a diver my self had to ask why they had no signalling devices with them. Pretty much they were boat diving in pretty windy conditions about 10 miles off sure and some how they were seperated from the boat. The boat called the C.G. and we were sent out to look for these 2 guys. After searching for about 45 mins we spotted the one guy. (no signalling device) After I picked him up we proceeded to find the other guy about 15 minutes later. We flew them back to sure and went on our way with some thank you's. If it was about 1 hour later it was going to be dark and they had nothing to signal the helo with. So do you guys dive with anything special. Being a diver myself my bc looks more like a survival vest then a bcd. Thanks for the info.

my wife and I carry between us sub alert, SMB, signal mirror, flash light, short line to keep us together and a personal locater 121.5 Mhz and 406 Mhz giving our position.
Maybe you can answer a question for me. I contacted our local CG and asked if I could do a tour of there facility and ask questions on what they would like from us divers so I could do an article for the board. I was told sure we will get back to you, they never did. Are they not interested in divers that want to be safety conscious?.

PPS: Your last line ("Being a diver myself my bc looks more like a survival vest than a bcd.") reminded of an article on survival gear for divers, by Robert Delfs.

6' SMB, whistle, strobe, HID light, backup lights. Just bought a Starflash mirror, looking at adding a Rescue Streamer, looking at upgrading the strobe, possibly an 406MHz EPIRB one day.

uscgrescueswimmer, what's your opinion on the Rescue Streamers?

Scubaroo:
6' SMB, whistle, strobe, HID light, backup lights. Just bought a Starflash mirror, looking at adding a Rescue Streamer, looking at upgrading the strobe, possibly an 406MHz EPIRB one day.

uscgrescueswimmer, what's your opinion on the Rescue Streamers?

The rescue streamer is a good device the thing with rescue devices you need to make sure your using the right one at the right time. That big orange thing on top of the water sticks out well. Using the strobe at night is awesome. We can see the littlest flash of light when flying at night with NVG'S on. We actually find someone that was arcing is battery to signal us. A flash light is good to have at night. The epirb is great to have since its a position locater. The best type is to have it registered so they can contact the owner and see if they are out at see. It takes some time for the satelites to pass over and triangulate your position but once it does and we get close our instruments can follow the signal. I think finding somebody at night is almost easier than during the day. I find it funny how all the suits most people use are black, blue, colors hard to see from the air. Hell I dive in the brightest suits they have. Hope this helps.

cdiver2:
my wife and I carry between us sub alert, SMB, signal mirror, flash light, short line to keep us together and a personal locater 121.5 Mhz and 406 Mhz giving our position.
Maybe you can answer a question for me. I contacted our local CG and asked if I could do a tour of there facility and ask questions on what they would like from us divers so I could do an article for the board. I was told sure we will get back to you, they never did. Are they not interested in divers that want to be safety conscious?.

Sorry to here about them not getting back to you. Somebody should have gotten back with you. We are pretty busy but still its your Tax Dollars. Id give them another call and tell them you want to tour the station.

I guess the one piece of advice to give is make sure you tell someone reliable were you guys are going to dive and what time they should expect you back. This gives the search team a huge heads up when the time comes to look for you. The reason being say you and your wife go out diving and just tell some people your going diving. Well when no one heres from you and the CG gets the call. The people in the ops center have to do there home work on when you should have gotten back could you have stopped off some were. Then After that is all done they need to find out were you were supposed to dive. Then they get the area then they need to get the local police to see if you car is there. If it is then they need to get permission to launch a boat, a helo or what ever they deem necessary.
Now if you do it the correct way. You guys miss your deadline. Your reliable source says. Hey there not back they were supposed to be back at ??:?? this is were they dove. Now the ball is rolling alot faster they know all the facts right away and gets everything going faster. I hope this helps. Go take that tour.

Back
Top Bottom