Rescue vs Self-Reliant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which class would be the best to take in my situation? My goal is to have rescue, DM & Self-Reliant diver completed in the next 9 months. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Please no husband bashing as I am already there and am literally sick to my stomach.

I like the SDI Solo class. It gives you a card that says "Solo" The PADI class, while good, only gives you a card that says "self-reliant" on it, which boats might or night not accept as being the same thing as "solo".

It will teach you how to dive safely alone, which turns your current dives completely on their head. Before, you were solo, you just didn't know it. At least now you'll be trained for it and recognize what you're doing.

The class is well worth it because instead of wondering where your husband is and if he'll be able to help in an emergency, you'll learn how to plan an execute dives where you are your own "buddy" and can rescue yourself. This completely turns the dive upside down and makes it one where your husband (if he even cares), has to wonder where you are, when he runs off and ditches you underwater.

You're just fine. You can handle your own dive because you planned it that way and know what to do.

In fact, at that point, you can dive when/where you want and not even bother bringing your husband. Recommend that he set up his own dives with some other buddy and/or group and dive without you.

---------- Post added August 18th, 2014 at 06:45 PM ----------

Thanks everyone!!! I'm going to schedule a solo course here within the next couple of weeks. I'll check into the SDI courses as well.

---------- Post added August 18th, 2014 at 05:54 PM ----------

Kari, I thought about carrying doubles. I just dove with my new Halycon yesterday. It's configured for a single tank, but as I progress...anything is possible. Cavern training is on my list too.

For recreational diving, sidemount with small doubles is pretty cool. A couple of 40's or 50's will give you complete redundancy, however, slinging a 19 or 30 with a standard single tank setup works very nicely too.

flots

Last edited:
If you're diving solo, then you need to learn to dive solo. That means the PADI self-reliant or SDI solo programs. Do rescue later.

Rescue does teach better buddy skills, so maybe the hubster needs to take that while you take the solo diver course...

+1 What Dirty Dog said... A solo class would probably be the best for your current situation. Just make sure you take it from and instructor who actually dives solo regularly. Anyone can go through the course material, but real life examples will make your class so much more meaningful.

...But along with that I'd start looking for buddies who do have the kind of buddy skills you want. I bet it would not be hard to find a slew of them in Florida.

Here here... There's a very large group of SOFLA divers here on SB. I dive out of Pompano at least a couple times a month. I don't mind diving with others at least for the first couple of dives :wink:

I took the SDI Solo course and conducted the PADI Self-Reliant course. My opinions:

From a standards standpoint alone, Self-Reliant is a bit better. See my post here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...di-lacking-solo-diver-course.html#post5912881
However, as flots am pointed out, there can be an advantage to having the word “Solo” on the card.

Overall they are very similar.

so, I strongly recommend you find the best possible instructor to conduct either course.

best wishes,

k

My husband & I just relocated to South Florida. To be honest, I HATE diving with him as he has no buddy skills what-so-ever. On our last night dive, I was trying to follow his light but lost him quite a few times. I'm tired of playing catch-me-if-you-can. I've discussed this with him to the point of nausea over the past 4 years. I'm extremely frustrated, especially now that we are living in a dive destination as I can only imagine it's going to get worse.

I think there're meaningful issues packed into that blurb that are worth unpacking. The great buddy debate is often had on Scuba Board, because there are a range of views on personal vs. interpersonal responsibility, risk tolerance and estimation, and perceived needs to adhere to commercial norms. Some expectation you have has been frustrated, leaving you angry, bitter and sick to your stomach over it. Let's take a quick look at that.

From what I've seen, buddy expectations (which vary according to training, individual personality, the dive conditions at hand and experience) seem to fall into rough groups:

1.) Dedicated Solo Diver; trained, goes diving alone.

2.) Same Day, Same Ocean - 2 guys enter together but don't pay much attention to each other. A pair of independent photographers are the stereotype.

1.) & 2.) are apt to be seasoned divers, not OW newbies.

3.) General Vicinity Buddies - can work okay in aquarium-like conditions (e.g.: Bonaire). These guys might be 20 feet apart looking at different stuff on the reef, but they look for and at each other occasionally, one is the nominal leader' and they will signal each other gas remaining and conduct the dive together. This 'loose' form of buddy diving is fine for some, but draws derisive criticism from others, and is a bad choice for harsher conditions like low-viz diving. Guide led group dives where everybody follows the guide are comparable to this style.

4.) 'Tight Buddy Technique - jumping to more of an extreme, this pair dives more 'in sync,' perhaps not straying much more than arm's length from each other. No helicoptering (one buddy higher in the water column, harder for the other to see), either could reach the other within a few seconds, either is likely to notice a problem in the other quickly, etc...

5.) GUE/DIR Team Diving - if it's the way I've seen described in some of TS&M's posts, I imagine it's racketed up another level. I'm gonna skip it here.

When conditions are quite good, amongst casual (often but not always vacation) divers, I suspect 3.) is very common. 4.) Is what I see advocated on Scuba Board, except by the self-reliant/solo crowd (and some of them advocate it, if buddy diving is the plan).

If you take a diver who's got 4.) expectations and drop her in the water with a 3.) diver, you're got a recipe for conflict.

The question is, what's hurting you about all this? Is it...

1.) Fear that you are only trained to buddy dive, and are in inordinate danger diving without tight buddy procedure?

2.) Fear that you 'owe' your buddy (however negligent he is) a 'duty of care,' and that his buddy negligence makes him high risk to die and you will live with self-imposed guilt that you 'should have done more.'

3.) Do you feel conscientiously bound to honor social norms - if you've been taught only buddy diving is acceptable, and only if done right, then 'doing it wrong' bothers you (some people have issues with breaking rules because they're rules).

Richard.

A very thorough analysis.

SMAE, I think the answer to your question is obvious. If you're more worried about your buddy take Rescue first. More worried about yourself, take Self Reliant first. I don't think it matters much since you plan to do both & DM (which has little to do with your problem--it's a teaching thing) within 9 months.

Find the right instructor and you can probably get both the PADI card and the SDI card, in one class with one set of dives, with the advantages of each.

...//... My goal is to have rescue, DM & Self-Reliant diver completed in the next 9 months. Any help would greatly be appreciated. ...

Now for a slightly different take on this. Hubs may or may not come around. Try taking Wilderness and Remote First Aid from the American Red Cross with him.

You really should have current FA/CPR/AED certs before you take any water rescue course anyway. Don't rush it. Safety awareness takes time to sink in. This particular course is both hard to find and very worthwhile. So if your hubby doesn't click and "get it" with W&RFA topside, you might as well forget it at depth.

Go it alone, calm down, you can either build team skills or self centric skills. Take it from one who is resigned to self centric skills, the rest of your dive life should be dedicated to becoming the sharpest knife in the box. OK, I know that this is your second choice, but it is a very strong second choice...

A pony you take is better than one you leave at home. I sling a 19. That is 1/4 of an AL80 which is enough to get me to the surface safely. Slinging makes it easy to use. Everything is right up close. Also on my usual local dive boat as I come up the ladder the mate unclips and removes which makes life even easier.

Who the Hell leaves a 40 at home?! I'm always excited when I can sling a 40 rather than an 80...managing a 40 is basically the same weight as anything else (30, 19, whatever), whereas slinging an 80 (or 3-4 of them) is just no damn fun.

And if the OP is on a tech route, being familiar with 40s will help her when it comes to deco bottles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom