Reserve Light Goes Boom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The new Halcyon LEDs are also way brighter than the old ones. Tested some a few weeks back and the old Halcyon LEDs were 1200 lumens, my Photon Torpedoes were 2500 lumens (appx 3-4 years old???), while the new Halcyon LEDs were 7500 lumens. The new LEDs also have a very nice spot on them, and nice color.

Those numbers sound a bit high :D, but I guess it depends on how you're testing.

Currently the LED manufacturers advertise total 220 - 320 lumen output from the smaller LED chips. Thats under lab conditions with constant and controlled current, constant and optimal temperature etc.

The MB-Sub VB50 head is advertised as having a 1250 lumen output:
mb-sub.com: LED-head VB-50 NEW

But the new LEDs certainly are brighter, maybe just not *that* bright - would be nice though :wink:

Henrik

Not to be a jerk, but why is this in the DIR forum? A light failure isn't peculiar to DIR.

Duh, it was an H light.

Doesn't matter. "H" isn't DIR only.

I know it's picking fly-**** out of pepper, but it's a light and doesn't matter who makes it. I know many folks who never heard of GUE but use some H equipment.

It was tongue in cheek Randy, I have no idea why it's in the DIR forum. It's probably a more appropriate topic for an equipment forum.

It's too early in the morning to get all serious on the internet. :D

The new Halcyon LEDs are also way brighter than the old ones. Tested some a few weeks back and the old Halcyon LEDs were 1200 lumens, my Photon Torpedoes were 2500 lumens (appx 3-4 years old???), while the new Halcyon LEDs were 7500 lumens. The new LEDs also have a very nice spot on them, and nice color.

Andrew had some little LED light last weekend that was as bright as a 21W HID but is half the size of my Photon Torpedo.

Crazy.

It was tongue in cheek Randy, I have no idea why it's in the DIR forum. It's probably a more appropriate topic for an equipment forum.

It's too early in the morning to get all serious on the internet. :D

sorry.. I'm not fully awake and really could use more coffee.

I'm grinning about it now, though.

Back, OT. As was said in the first post. Batteries leaking and causing gas build up is what happened. I had one light crack for the same reason. I store all of my lights with the bezel off or barely on so that gas can escape.

how often are you replacing these guys? were they in there for a long time? maybe I ought to check mine more often

Would like to have the new LUMENS if I can pay a small upgrade fee.

MG
Granted my budget isn't as big as a lot of you guys', but why pay $130 to upgrade a backup light? I have an old xenon scout that got me a almost mile out of a cave, on a scooter.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom