Resetting computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just have to say, I'm really glad I asked this. I'm getting way more information than I was planning on and teaching me a lot.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

One other thing. If you did your first dive on scuba on air or nitrox mode, setting it to bottom time should (will?) not reset any of the residual nitrogen loadings from the previous dive. So, if the third dive is scuba the Puck should use the N2 residual loadings from the previous scuba dive and treat the free dive (assuming it was set for bottom time) as an extension to the surface interval. I have no experience with this though ... it is just my reasoning. I think this should be true with other DC's. Is this correct?

During a free dive with lungs at a surface ppN2 the pp is not changing with depth only the lung volume is changing.

That is a start. Lets develope that idea. Why does the lung volume change? Is it:
fccc5297a5ab69af6895fe98f86f5d83.png
???

That is a start. Lets develope that idea. Why does the lung volume change? Is it:
fccc5297a5ab69af6895fe98f86f5d83.png
???

Yes, that is the reason.

Yes, that is the reason.

I'm hoping EFT will agree but that will be a problem as we discuss the idea that P is the sum on the PPs of each of the component gases. So, if V2 is say 1/2 of V1 then P2 has to be 2 times P1. And each of the PP must also be doubled.

Or maybe someone else will explain to me where I am getting this wrong.

I think this matter is being looked at in the wrong light.

The computer is stupid.
It does not know if you just made a 1 hour dive in gage mode or a 2 minute dive.
The computer will respond in the most conservative way.
As far as the computer is concerned it will not provide you data if that data is based on bad input.

Lets look at 2 situations.
#1 gage mode dive made adn then switching into normal mode and making another dive.
#2 havng 2 dive computers

One div scenereo. dive to 120' for max time.

In gage mode you have the same as a watch and depth gage. your ndl is maxed out and you take off the watch and depth gage and replace it with a dive computer in normal mode because you still have max ndl available in that mode.

In situation #2 you dive till you computer says no ndl left, you surface and change computers cause like above it has a full tank of ndl left.

Isnt this like "I cant be out of money I still have checks" As i see it the question should be why is a free diver using a computer to begin with instead of a dedicated depth gage and watch.

I'm hoping EFT will agree but that will be a problem as we discuss the idea that P is the sum on the PPs of each of the component gases. So, if V2 is say 1/2 of V1 then P2 has to be 2 times P1. And each of the PP must also be doubled.

That's right.

Let's say you take a breath at the surface and then descend. Your lungs are diminished in size by the increased water pressure, but the amount of gas molecules is about the same. That increases the pressure inside the lungs.

You and BoulderJohn are correct. The relevant equation is P1V1 = P2V2. For a free diver taking a breath at the surface and holding it throughout the dive the change in lung volume can be deduced from V2 = P1V1/P2. The ambient pressure of the water, P2, is higher than the surface pressure so with P1V1 being constant V2, the new lung volume at depth, must decrease. The original pressure P1 is constant - you are not adding or removing air, and the original volume is constant, i.e. at the start of the dive the volume is not changing.

Last edited:
You and BoulderJohn are correct. The relevant equation is P1V1 = P2V2. For a free diver taking a breath at the surface and holding it throughout the dive the change in lung volume can be deduced from V2 = P1V1/P2. The ambient pressure of the water, P2, is higher than the surface pressure so with P1V1 being constant V2, the new lung volume at depth, must decrease. The original pressure P1 is constant - you are not adding or removing air, and the original volume is constant, i.e. at the start of the dive the volume is not changing.

Keep in mind that the amount of on and offgassing is only dependent on the pp (partial pressure) of N2. Lung volume is determined by the total pressure or the sum of all the pp's of each gas. In another thread I mentioned that both O2 and CO2 exchange across the lung-blood barrier in different directions at the same time, O2 at a much higher pressure drop than CO2. The flow of any gas across this barrier is by diffusion which is fundamentally different than by the force of a pressure difference as would be the case for an embolism. However, a change of pp will effect the total pressure since the pp's are additive. In regards to N2 on/offgassing for a free diver on surface air you might be thinking of total lung pressure increasing with ambient pressure thereby "forcing" more N2 to the tissues. But, the pressure in the lungs is constant and with it the pp's of each constituent gas. Therefore, as the ambient pressure increases the assoiated rise in pressure drop will cause a decrease in volume because the lungs are a flexible container and the diver is not adding or venting gas. (Sorry for the long explanation but I hope this is clearer.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "the pressure in the lungs is constant". Are you suggesting them pressure in the lungs does not change as the diver changes depth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom