Residue in first stage- help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquarianna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everybody-

I did two dives today with rental tanks from a local place. First dive was fine- reg worked great, and the first stage was clear before and after it. The second dive, I used a different tank from the same place. My first stage was clear before and the reg breathed beautifully during the dive, but after I took it off, the first stage had (still has) a white residue filling most of it. Nothing was different about how I handled or set up the system today.

I took some out to look at, and it's neither sand nor salt. The o-ring on the tank valve looks fine to me, and my buddy didn't notice any bubbles escaping during our dive.

I don't know what this crap is, and I'm really worried that its going to ruin my reg!

So my question to you is, should I try to clean it out, leave it, or what? I'm definitely going to bring the tanks and my reg back to the shop tomorrow (they closed before we ended our dive), but any input from you first would be great. The only thing I can come up with is that the tank had something in it. But I'm still clueless as to what it might be...

I've attached some pictures of it- hope it helps

http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=firststage0012ds4.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=firststage0022rj9.jpg

Could be Aluminum Oxide if it was aluminum tanks that are starting to oxidize.

I would show it to the dive shop that you got the tanks from and they should be able to look inside the tanks to see if it's oxidizing. Could save the next person some heartache as well. They should also offer to clean your reg if it was their tank at fault.

Aquarianna:
Hey everybody-

I did two dives today with rental tanks from a local place. First dive was fine- reg worked great, and the first stage was clear before and after it. The second dive, I used a different tank from the same place. My first stage was clear before and the reg breathed beautifully during the dive, but after I took it off, the first stage had (still has) a white residue filling most of it. Nothing was different about how I handled or set up the system today.

I took some out to look at, and it's neither sand nor salt. The o-ring on the tank valve looks fine to me, and my buddy didn't notice any bubbles escaping during our dive.

I don't know what this crap is, and I'm really worried that its going to ruin my reg!

So my question to you is, should I try to clean it out, leave it, or what? I'm definitely going to bring the tanks and my reg back to the shop tomorrow (they closed before we ended our dive), but any input from you first would be great. The only thing I can come up with is that the tank had something in it. But I'm still clueless as to what it might be...

I've attached some pictures of it- hope it helps

http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=firststage0012ds4.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=firststage0022rj9.jpg
Your reg needs service. I wouldn't dive it until you get it repaired.

It would be nice if the shop that rented you the tank would fix the reg for free, but they may or may not. In either case, service (disassembley, cleaning, replacement parts) is required.

It was probably nothing intentional or incompetent on their part. More likely, someone sucked the tank dry and it got contaminated, then refilled.

The tank needs to be disassembled cleaned and serviced also, although they may have a hard time figuring out which one it is.

This is a great reason for owning your own tanks.

Terry

I was wondering if it was Al oxide...the stuff in the reg is powdery. And no worries- I def. won't be diving it until this is sorted out...

This is a great reason for owning your own tanks.

Agreed.

Aquarianna:
I was wondering if it was Al oxide...the stuff in the reg is powdery. And no worries- I def. won't be diving it until this is sorted out...
It could be, but there's really no way to tell without someone actually looking at it.

Doesn't really matter, though, since pretty much anything in your reg besides the required parts and lube is Bad News.

Sort of like wondering if the things in your swimming pool are alligators or crocodiles. The answer might be interesting, but either way they have to go. :cool:

Terry

I would pretty much demand that they open the tanks while you are there and allow you to take a look. If there is a problem with the tank, it should be pretty obvious. If the tank is badly corroded and they don't offer a free overhaul, then just walk out, argueing with them or doing business with them would seem silly unless they are the only game in town.

I think it should be very simple for the dive shop to WANT to vis the tank and then fix the reg if one of them is oxidizing. I also believe they would be grateful that you brought it to their attention before it caused someone else's reg to fail at depth. No dive shop that wants to stay in business would want that lawsuit and the possible end of their business.

Should be simple: I would walk in with a friendly demeanor and my reg. Show them the reg and say "I'm concerned this could be from one of these tanks. Will you guys open them up and have a look? If it is, will you overhaul my reg?" If you haven't already turned the tanks in that is.

Of course, we're from different countries....Texas vs. California, with different cultures and different ways of treating people....

Don't get mad. I'm just kidding. My wife if from California, but she's recovering.

That's my plan. I know one of the people who works there, so that'll give me a leg up if nothing else :)

Don't get mad. I'm just kidding. My wife is from California, but she's recovering.

Haha, I'm not from California, I only live here :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom