Residue in first stage- help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least the sintered filter is in place and it appears to have done its job, catching the crud before it got into the guts of your first stage. Of course you can’t be certain without seeing inside. At the absolute least, they owe you a new filter.

So I took both the tank and reg in today. At first, they thought it was salt, but then took the tank apart, and yep- oxide was all over the sides with about 2" of water at the bottom.

So they're going to clean it out and look at it thoroughly.

If the problem is caused by poor maintenance on their tanks......I don't think I'd want them servicing my regs!!

The vip and hydro were both current and I've worked with this shop for a while with no problems. But still, I'll likely have another place look it over just for safety's sake.

Thanks for your help guys- another incentive to get my own tanks :D

Aquarianna:
So I took both the tank and reg in today. At first, they thought it was salt, but then took the tank apart, and yep- oxide was all over the sides with about 2" of water at the bottom.

So they're going to clean it out and look at it thoroughly.

The vip and hydro were both current and I've worked with this shop for a while with no problems. But still, I'll likely have another place look it over just for safety's sake.

Thanks for your help guys- another incentive to get my own tanks :D

Sounds like a pretty good shop. That is a bunch of water. Someone messed up that tank. I wonder if any shops pull valves more often than the annual on their rental tanks. That really is a hard one for the shop to prevent. I don't think I would distrust their tech on that basis alone.

Yea, pretty hard to blame the shop. Now if a tank comes back to us empty, we'll crack it and make sure no water got in, but it is very possible that a diver rented the tank, ran the tank to zero and got water in it, then got it re-filled and returns it with a little moisture. Virtually impossible for the dive shop to tell.

Sounds like they are a good shop and willing to take care of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom