Resort info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread, but I have a similar question. Planning to go back to Coz Aug 26-30.

My non-diving wife and I stayed at Iberostar back in 2002 and generally liked the resort. All Inclusive with decent food, nice pool, and beach area are required. I didn't like their snubbing of offsite dive ops however so I'm not looking to go back there.

I did some diving with Dressel (horrible) and Black Shark (much better).

I'm looking at the other three resorts in that southern region, Allegro, Reef Club, and the Grand Coz. Anyone been to more than one of these and have a stand-out preference?

As for a dive op, I prefer 6-pack to cattle, site flexibility without being stuck doing beginner dives, DIN steel tanks with the possibility of Nitrox would be nice. Looking for a conservative 3 x 2tank over the course of our 5 days.

Recommendations? Thanks so much.

Bobby

The barracuda is a great dive hotel. Good location, good room views. I travel by myself and always meet good people made many friends. I used dive paradise no major complaints. They can be a little disorganized ,but overall good operation. I dont mind the big boats always like the boat ride. If your with wife or kids(non-divers) Id look elsewhere. El cozumelno is nice, long way from dive piers. My girlfriend would kill me if we stayed at barracuda, she needs more luxury than me. Beware of extremly hard beds at barracuda. I like a firm matteress but wow! Some people might wake a little sore.

I hope the beds are not too hard, by wife is going to kill me. We just booked a week at the Barracuda and will dive with Paradise this coming October.
Question for anyone out there. When my week stay is up, if dive conditions are good I might stay a few days longer, and my wife will fly back (she's a non-diver). Depending on what Barracuda will charge me being a 'single diver' I may or may not stay there.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a simpler place to stay, OK, 'Cheaper' place to stay, if I am diving all day, and not with my spouse, I would be trying to save $$$ (spend more on diving).

I always stay at Hotel Cozumel and resort and dive with Dive Paradise!

Bobby_M:
I'm looking at the other three resorts in that southern region, Allegro, Reef Club, and the Grand Coz. Anyone been to more than one of these and have a stand-out preference?
As for a dive op, I prefer 6-pack... Nitrox would be nice... Looking for a conservative 3 x 2tank over the course of our 5 days.Bobby

Here's my two cents worth.

The Occidental Grand is the best resort of the three you mention. It is also the most expensive. If you are looking for an AI in the southern region you will be very happy there.

As for a dive op, I would recommend Christi at BlueXTSea. You will be very happy with the service they provide.

Texas Diver:
Here's my two cents worth.

The Occidental Grand is the best resort of the three you mention. It is also the most expensive. If you are looking for an AI in the southern region you will be very happy there.

As for a dive op, I would recommend Christi at BlueXTSea. You will be very happy with the service they provide.

There have been some very good deals for air/hotel packages for Mexico posted this week on www.travelzoo.com. Don't recall if these hotels were part of any of the deals, but it could be worth checking. A friend of mine got 5 nights at Dreams Tulum w/ air on Continental from Newark for $699 per person. Last time she stayed there it was over $200/nt just for the room. I think that deal was posted on travelzoo by cheapcaribbean.com.

tboxcar:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a simpler place to stay, OK, 'Cheaper' place to stay, if I am diving all day, and not with my spouse, I would be trying to save $$$ (spend more on diving).

Costa Brava is down the street from the Barracuda and is $45/night. I've stayed there a couple of times. Cheap, clean, quiet. No frills but there's a fridge in the room and sometimes a TV.

Back
Top Bottom