Restaurant Finds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1708962328493.png
1708962412558.png
1708962328493.png

I think I double posted this and left off part of the menu. I usually get the fried fish platter. The fish fills the plate and is served with delicious rice and vegetables. They close at 5, so we usually go for lunch or an early dinner. Cash.

I think I double posted this and left off part of the menu. I usually get the fried fish platter. The fish fills the plate and is served with delicious rice and vegetables. They close at 5, so we usually go for lunch or an early dinner. Cash.
I see three pages that all look the same, but thanks! A 5PM closing time may count it out for me, though; we usually do lunch at the room and dinner around or after sunset.

Can you not pay with a credit card in pesos?
You can, but they scam you on the exchange rate. On the menu it says "Exchange Rate $22 pesos/$1" or something like that. I think it was $22/$1 when we were there but it might have been $23 or $24. Anyways, since the menu is all in dollars they take your total in dollars then convert it at the unfavorable exchange rate and then run your card in pesos. So if your meal was say, $100, they run your card at their exchange rate of $22, so you pay $2200 pesos, and let's say the current going rate is $17 pesos/$1, so your bank converts it to $129. It's just dishonesty to take advantage of tourists naïveté on how exchange rates work. I was a C student but remember just enough from my undergrad Economics classes to know enough to be dangerous 😆! Most people see the higher number of pesos per dollar and think it means they're getting a better deal, but the way they do it, it's the opposite. Last time we ate there, I remembered to bring enough dollars to pay in cash. They aren't the only ones that do this of course.

They've been on a certain organization's naughty list for a while.
Hope to see a bigger navy presence soon.
the police trucks got new paint jobs

1708982371554.png

You can, but they scam you on the exchange rate. On the menu it says "Exchange Rate $22 pesos/$1" or something like that. I think it was $22/$1 when we were there but it might have been $23 or $24. Anyways, since the menu is all in dollars they take your total in dollars then convert it at the unfavorable exchange rate and then run your card in pesos. So if your meal was say, $100, they run your card at their exchange rate of $22, so you pay $2200 pesos, and let's say the current going rate is $17 pesos/$1, so your bank converts it to $129. It's just dishonesty to take advantage of tourists naïveté on how exchange rates work. I was a C student but remember just enough from my undergrad Economics classes to know enough to be dangerous 😆! Most people see the higher number of pesos per dollar and think it means they're getting a better deal, but the way they do it, it's the opposite. Last time we ate there, I remembered to bring enough dollars to pay in cash. They aren't the only ones that do this of course.
If you plan on using a card, insist on the menu in pesos, not dollars. Every restaurant will have menus in pesos. Your card should be charged in pesos based on the menu. USD prices are sometimes listed as a convenience for those paying in USD cash, not as an amount to calculate an exchange back to pesos. That’s is so wrong. That said, many restaurants list prices only in pesos, if they take cards, make sure the charge is in pesos. If paying in dollars keep in mind restaurants and merchants can set their own exchange rate. It’s usually posted on the menu or near the check out. It’s rarely favorable. Restaurants and merchants are not banks and can’t offer the same exchange. The price of convenience. We always pay in pesos to avoid any misunderstandings.

1708982520670.png

La Conchita

1708982601511.png

Aqui &Ahora

1708982721268.png

Leftovers from Friday Night Special at Barefoot Lounge. Best tenderloin on the Island

Back
Top Bottom