Retractable or Coiled Cables for Flashlights, slates, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing I use a retractor for is my compass, which I keep on a hip d-ring so it's out of the way and not dangly. I tried putting it in a bungee mount on the wrist of my drysuit, but I found it a pain to use because I had to reposition it to get a good viewing angle depending on which window I wanted to see (eg. I would set my bearing looking at it from above, but then would have to move it on my wrist to look forwards at it through the side window while swimming. Usually halfway through this I would lose my bearing and have to start over.)

So I guess what I'm saying is that retractors have their place but should be minimized. I keep everything else secure and tight with cable ties, bolt snaps, and bike tire rubber bands.

Coiled lanyards are the worst. I do not use them, but I know someone who carries a bulky light with one, and it hangs way below him, dragging on the bottom and mucking up the vis.

The only thing I use a retractor for is my compass...
Seconded. I took my compass off of its retractor and tried it out on a bungee wrist mount. If I could find the harness, I'd put it back on. Otherwise, I use bolt snaps.

Question for you bolt-snappers about dive slates. Specifically, those who use a slate that is not wrist-mounted.

When you want to use your slate, do you unclip the bolt snap so you can hold the slate out in front of you to write on, etc.? I would assume so. So, in that case, there is nothing to keep the slate "with" you if happen to drop it?

I've been struggling with the idea that I want to keep everything I take in the water with me attached, so I can't lose it. That seems to be in contradiction to the notion (expressed repeatedly here) that retractors are pretty much useless.

I was thinking that if I go with a non-wrist slate, I would want it on a retractor, so it's easy to deploy for use and "goes home" when I let go. But, the opinion here seems to be against that.

And ditto for other things I might want to take, like a light, a non-wrist compass, or even a GoPro.

Thoughts?

Also If you are going to use a retractor get one that you can attach the body to your harness webbing not just clip it to a dring if you have it attached and tight to the webbing under your arm it can be very streamlined.

I'm not sure how many photographers have posted on this thread but I use a coiled bungee on my camera rig. It's a huge bulky pain in the a** that takes pretty good pictures when I don't screw it up. A coiled bungee is the only secure way I have found of keeping it attached to me even if I have to drop it in an emergency situation. Since it's neutral (or very close) it doesn't go smashing into anything.

If anyone wants to post a pic of another way to secure a DSLR with two strobes and be able to drop it at a moments notice and not lose it I would like to see them.

Question for you bolt-snappers about dive slates. Specifically, those who use a slate that is not wrist-mounted.

When you want to use your slate, do you unclip the bolt snap so you can hold the slate out in front of you to write on, etc.? I would assume so. So, in that case, there is nothing to keep the slate "with" you if happen to drop it?

I've been struggling with the idea that I want to keep everything I take in the water with me attached, so I can't lose it. That seems to be in contradiction to the notion (expressed repeatedly here) that retractors are pretty much useless.

I was thinking that if I go with a non-wrist slate, I would want it on a retractor, so it's easy to deploy for use and "goes home" when I let go. But, the opinion here seems to be against that.

And ditto for other things I might want to take, like a light, a non-wrist compass, or even a GoPro.

Thoughts?

Feel free to dive how you want, but I will say few people stick with retractors for long....especially ones that have seen what they look like diving. A wrist-mounted slate is a FANTASTIC option. I get the cheapest ones out there and modify them a bit and now I can dive it comfortably on my bare arm and I can take it with me when I'm diving dry. It's out of my way until I need it. No need to take a giant 8.5x11" slate with you unless you're an instructor that needs clear communication. A clear buddy-briefing should totally negate the need for a slate. Wetnotes in a pocket is another good option.

As for compass: how often do you use one? I RARELY if ever use one....never seen the need. Put it out of sight until you need it. Lights should be bolt-snapped off and tucked/stowed neatly. Same for GoPros. Fear of dropping them should be absurdly minimal. If you're that afraid of dropping them, you have two options: 1) clip them off to a bracelet or 2) don't take them with you.

Retractors simply don't make things "go home" like you'd think. They pull against you while you're using them and dangle aggressively while you're not. They lead to "Christmas tree" divers :D

My example is always this: Tech divers need WAY more than rec divers and they take it all on EVERY dive. If they can find a nice, neat way to store stuff without 100 BCD pockets and 200 retractors....so can rec divers if they tried.

Okay, forget about the slate for a moment. Let me ask the same question again, but about a light, instead.

What do you do with your primary dive light? I gather that most of you generally don't use a retractor to attach your light to you. Instead, you use a bolt-snap.

Do you use a bolt-snap on each end of the light, to keep one end from flopping around? I'm guessing not.

So, victorzamora, you specifically mentioned this - if you have one end of your light bolt-snapped to you somewhere, how DO you secure the other end so it's not just dangling off you? And when you actually use your light, do you unclip the bolt-snap and hold the light in your hand, such that, if you were to happen to drop it, it could just float away?

Do you use enough line in attaching the bolt-snap to the light that you can use the light while it's still clipped to you? And how do you secure it from dangling when you're not using it?

Related question: I read an article about how to attach a bolt-snap to a piece of gear. I think it said to use "cave cord" or "cave line" or something like that. Is that the same thing as regular paracord 550 nylon line (I.e. 550# tensile strength, typically black)?

I try to not carry anything that might require a connector. Diving here in the kelp forests, they are just another potential entaglement factor (that is if we actually had any kelp left after the high water temperatures, low nutrients, hurricane surge and invasive Sargassum decimated it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom