Retractable or Coiled Cables for Flashlights, slates, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seems you are talking about something small, like a point & shoot w/o strobe (self contained). I'd likely have it in a thigh pocket, with either a leash or coil to the pocket (if I was concerned of dropping it)...

Hi SB,
it was small and I used to carry it in my drysuit pocket. However, It now has a wide angle lens and a small attached flashlight. So now it's more like a big jack as opposed to a fat cell phone. It's not a big deal but I think there is probably a better way to stow / use it without it dangling from a retractor.

As for my primary flashlight, I made the following holder from neoprene. I side it on to my forearm after donning my drysuit. It fits quite snug and can't slide off because the diameter is smaller than my gloves. It works really well, is easy to use and was very inexpensive.

fl1.jpgfl2.jpgfl3.jpg

I do use one of the coiled lanyards for my camera. It clips up to short when the camera is not in use, and when unclipped, extends to allow me to use the camera. I do know photographers who simply clip the camera to their BC and unclip it for use, but I'm too paranoid (and probably too cheap) to contemplate losing it altogether, should I drop it.
Me, too. My camera rig is too expensive for me to carry without some kind of leash, so I got one of these. I've exchanged the suicide clip - which was close to impossible to operate with thick wetgloves, or drygloves for that sake - with a big-a$$ boltsnap. Works nearly perfectly for me. In addition, I've tied another boltsnap directly to the rig, so I can basically sling the camera rig like a pony or stage bottle, between my left hip and left shoulder D-rings. Compass, backup computer and slate are forearm mounted, and my primary (AI) computer is clipped to the left hip D-ring with a boltsnap.

Everything else (typically roll-up snorkel, extra slate and dSMB) except for my catch bag is carried in my DS pockets. Usually with a lanyard attached to the bungee loops in my pockets. Some via a boltsnap, other stuff with a loop-in-loop attachment. Depends on whether I need to take the stuff completely off the bungee loop to use it, or if I can operate it while it's still attached to the bungee loop. The catch bag is clipped to the rig via a double-ender.

please don't carry a pistol-grip light attached by a lanyard and then drop it to deal with something. It will spin like a disco ball, creating a signal that looks VERY much like an out-of-gas signal. If you are diving with someone who is trained to light signals, that person is going to be jumping out of their skin every time you let your light go!
Ay-men. The disco ball effect from my first light (a UK C8 with a pistol grip) when I let go of the handle to leave it hanging by the lanyard was about equally annoying for me and my buddy. I don't need a can light, so I've opted for a SOLA as my primary light, but the location (on top of the left wrist) isn't too different from the location of a tec/DIR can light on a Goodman handle. It just sits there, and I don't even have to think about holding on to it. My secondary light is carried GUE/IANTD/DIR style, with a boltsnap tied to the end and clipped to a shoulder D-ring and secured to the webbing with a piece of inner tubing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom