Returning to Cozumel in June- Need advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peresonally I don't care for "near the dive sites" beause that puts you "far from town". Better to stay closer to town and use a dive op with fast boats. My vote always goes to Caribe Blu.

Sue,

I've only been to Coz twice (Jan and July 2005) and both times with local dive shop groups. Both times were last year. First one was at Scuba Club Cozumel and the second was at Hotel Cozumel and Resort. If you like a little more resorty place the Hotel Coz is pretty nice. Good food and just a nice place with a great pool. You can also get an all inclusive package if you'd like.

As for the diving I found Paradise (affiliated with the resort) to be very adequate. As good as some of the best I've dealt with. Very safety conscious both in the water and out. It's a short 15 minute stroll into town for nightlife. The big attraction reefs of Columbia and Palancar are about 1/2hr boat ride south which isn't too bad.

I enjoyed myself there enough that I am going back this coming June. In fact I'm going in May also, but staying at the Reef Club, about 15 miles south of town. Like minutes from the big reefs. It's another all-inclusive dig. Don't know if I'll like it as much but will never know till I go.

Scubawife- thanks for making a very good point. Looks like a week of back roll entry after all..........not a dealbreaker, just a preference, but then again, like the crowded pool, a huge boat with tons of diversis no bargain either.
Okay, Casa Mexana it is (I'm getting old too, do you think in ten years we'll WANT the poolside Bingo?) ....but wait, need to check out Caribe Blu..................
Hey, by the way, I'm in Smithtown, where in New York are you?

bfisher-
I hope you like the new place. Please post a trip report when you get back, I'd love to know what the resort is like for my next trip when we leave the kids home :wink:
This trip staying near town may save my sanity when my teenagers get bored and want to shop, etc.
Thanks for the info, hope you have a great trip!!!!!
Susan

susan6868:
Scubawife- thanks for making a very good point. Looks like a week of back roll entry after all..........not a dealbreaker, just a preference, but then again, like the crowded pool, a huge boat with tons of diversis no bargain either.
Okay, Casa Mexana it is (I'm getting old too, do you think in ten years we'll WANT the poolside Bingo?) ....but wait, need to check out Caribe Blu..................
Hey, by the way, I'm in Smithtown, where in New York are you?

We will NEVER want poolside bingo! I will go buy my own bottle of tequila before I play bingo to win one. Then again, on a dive trip it's a big night if I stay awake late enough to have a 2nd drink.

You'll be fine with a back roll. I used to hate them, but after a few years of diving with small ops in Mexico and elsewhere, I've gotten used to it and actually prefer it to the deck duck walk routine. Suit up and roll beats sitting and waiting, and waiting, and then duck waddling to the swim platform when it's your turn to jump.

I used to live on the Upper West Side, now we're in the southern part of Rockland County (just over the GW Bridge and over the NJ/NY line on the NY side). I work in lower Manhattan.

Susan,http:
Check out this op...
//www.divewithcristina.com/default.asp
great lunches, and excellent service.

Personally, I like the Hotel Cozumel/Dive Paradise combination. The dive shop's right across the street from the hotel and has a fast boat take you to the best sites. You can usually get a pretty good package with diving and lodging and as someone mentioned before, you can get the all-inclusive deal. I found the folks at both establishments to be friendly and helpful at all times.

Jcsgt:
Personally, I like the Hotel Cozumel/Dive Paradise combination. The dive shop's right across the street from the hotel and has a fast boat take you to the best sites. You can usually get a pretty good package with diving and lodging and as someone mentioned before, you can get the all-inclusive deal. I found the folks at both establishments to be friendly and helpful at all times.

I will have to agree. I have limited experience on the island (only two trips) but the convenience, efficiency and quality of everything with these two outfits is hard to beat. Even their big boats don't seem to have more that 10-12 divers at one time. Even if they do there are never more that 5-6 divers per DM. And they have fast boats you can request if you want to save some time getting to the reefs.

Reasons not to do this combination. And BTW, these are all just an opinion.
If you want to spend a lot of time working a section of a reef as opposed to cruising with the current
If a good dinner is essential (Breakfast and lunch are average to above average)
If you want to get to the reefs quickly
If you want to take your intervals on the beach
If you want no children around. A note about this one: When we were there there were plenty of children and teen agers around but all of the activities were on the other side of the huge pool area and the kids were not a bother. This wasn't so bad but what drove me to drink more (like I needed help) was the constant, droning, over modulated, indescernable, boring announcing over the PA system while the events were going on.

When I go with a large group from our LDS, like in November, I will probably do this combination. When I go with a smaller group of 4 divers, I am staying in town and booking with a smaller "boutique" dive shop.

Chris

We are going down in May and staying at the Cozumel Palace. Any reason not to dive with Aqua Safari? Haven't seen it mentioned, but they are on-site at the hotel and seem to have the same price range as anyone else and have a choice of small or large boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom