reverse profiles??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am really, really looking forwards to your forthcoming advertising campaign here. :D
He's selling South American trips and training if you're ready.

Title: THE RELATIVE SAFETY OF FORWARD AND REVERSE DIVING PROFILES
Authors: McInnes, S
Edmonds, C
Bennett, MH

Yeah, that one, thanks.

Even if it was the most flawed study, like the reverse-profile guinea pigs were all drunk then were bashed over the head, 100% asymptomatic Vs 50% dead really makes me look twice.

Yeah, that one, thanks.

Even if it was the most flawed study, like the reverse-profile guinea pigs were all drunk then were bashed over the head, 100% asymptomatic Vs 50% dead really makes me look twice.

Reading that study it does seem incredibly flawed to me.
The surface intervals were the SAME for both the regular profiles and the reverse profiles.
I don't think anyone disputes the fact that a reverse profile with the same SI leads to a higher nitrogen loading,so of course the reverse profiles caused more DCS. (Or put another way,diving reverse profiles will give shorter NDL times)

Seems like a waste of Guinea pigs to me.

My daughter and granddaughter cooked a new treat today, and the little one said "I want to try first, let me be the squirrel,...or chipmunk....or whatever"

BTW, never ever pick up a Guinea pig by his tail...!!

My daughter and granddaughter cooked a new treat today

Guinea Pig?

Attachments

• 4. guinea pig.jpg
    4. guinea pig.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 67
I also didn't know that HTC- Kewalo did any research. They not treatment only?

Assuming that I have understood right that this is the hyperbaric treatment center in Hawaii, now at the Kuakini Medical Center?

Jon

Yeah back when HTC was in Kewalo Basin, they had a research shed with pigs in it out back. They used the lure of free treatment to get human subjects, and used pigs (something about the similarity of cardio-vascular systems) to do research.

For those who did not read the the use of animals in chamber testing in the UK link:
They would have preferred using pigs, which are physiologically closer to humans, but in those days there were fewer pigs and a lot more goats around London. Goats were basically the second choice, but quite close to humans in terms of respiratory physiology. Experiments carried out to confirm Haldane’s theory form the basis of every decompression table available today, from the BSAC’s own tables to algorithms in computers.’

Hawaii got pigs, bruddah. No mo pig, no kalua pig.

Last edited:
Yes, I knew that DERA still did goats, although I didn't know it was for submarine escape research. I have also heard that ocassionally the French do some goat work too

I've heard that they do sheep in New Zealand

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom