Review: DRIS 28lb BP/W System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My highland straps just came today and they do look really nice. Unfortunatly I'm being somewhat spatially challenged at the moment and have a problem figuring out how to thread the latch despite the big "1" "2" and "3" stamped on it! :epic-fail:

I've seen pictures of the straps online so I think I have it in the STA correctly, just need to figure out how to thread the buckle.

Of course I'm sure the moment I click "Reply" and embarrass myself I'll go figure it out. :(

Edit: Whew. Ok, this video finally did the trick for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JzE6rnNP2I

I'm sorry but I just don't do this every day. :)

---------- Post Merged at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:52 PM ----------

So at this point I only see one "negative" in the new highland straps compared to my previous scubapro style straps.

I use XS Scuba trim pockets... one on the left and one on the right.

With the old bands, the excess belt material folds underneath on the right side and both pockets slide on easily.

With the new bands the extra material is thread through the buckle and then lays down on the left side of the rig. I can't slide this material into the slot of the pocket because the material is velcro ( male and female ) and so it can only lay down and not slide. I also can't lay it down between the main pocket and the pocket flap because it only has velcro on the inside and not the outside and this would keep the pocket from properly securing the lid.

I guess I could trim the band and melt it with a hot iron. About 3 inches would do it. But these straps are so nice and new that I don't know if I should do this. The other things I can think of is attach some velcro to the outside so it can mate with the pockets or fold the band back under and tuck it in under the buckle.

Can anyone think of any options? You'd hope that since XS Scuba owns Highland and makes the pockets that this stuff would come together a little easier. :)

Last edited:
You could put your pockets on so the weights are sandwiched between the strap and the tank. The pressure means the weight won't move and the extra length the strap has to travel will take up that 3 inches so you can velcro the strap end down.

And although now I can thread those buckles with my eyes closed I have to admit to at least once or twice early on scratching my head trying to remember which way to thread it! Its so simple yet so... not simple when you can't work it out :p

@fbk- My weights aren't moving now, it's just the extra 3 inches are dangly. If your advice fixes that, it's lost on Mr. spatially challenged. :)

It was't about stopping the weights moving, I just added that to aid the explanation. You were worried about the weights coming out if the velcro pocket couldn't close properly with the strap in the way.

Put your pockets so that instead of being [weight] strap (tank) its strap [weight](tank) in other words the pocket and weight are trapped between the tank and the strap instead of being on the outside. That will use up more strap as it has to go around the weights, and you wont have to cut 3" off it.

Just try it if you are too spatially challenged to visualise it :p Or you can put your XS pockets on your waist strap, thats what I do.

Cheers

I think what you are saying is instead of feeding the strap through the weight pocket to literally sandwhich the pocket between the strap and the tank. Is that right?

Hmmm, not sure if I like that or not.

I'm going diving in the morning and my buddy is a lot more DIY then I am. I'll see what he comes up with.

Of course if I just lost about 20 lbs I wouldn't need this pocket at all. Problem solved! :)

You still feed the strap through the slot in the weight pocket.. just turn the weight pocket around so the weight is inside the strap (between it and the tank) instead of on the outside. It seems like a great idea to me, I never liked the idea of the velcro pocket getting caught on something underwater and your trim weight dropping out. This way the weight is trapped and secure. If I ever need trim weights up on my tank straps, thats how I'll be doing it.

Turn the weight around. Now I'm tracking you. Sure, I can try that. (as-in right now)

---------- Post Merged at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Ok, I tried it and it seems good. Personally I've only have 2lbs in one pocket and 1lb in the other pocket. I'd like to get down to just 1lb. ( I seem to roll to the left and putting an extra lb on the right seems to help... for now atleast ).

Sweet glad it worked. Why dont you try just one pocket and put it at the back of the tank. Or off to whatever side you need for anti-roll

I've already done the work to flip them both so I'm done. :) I got to get to the boat around 7:30am so off I go to bed.

So at this point I only see one "negative" in the new highland straps compared to my previous scubapro style straps.

I use XS Scuba trim pockets... one on the left and one on the right.

With the old bands, the excess belt material folds underneath on the right side and both pockets slide on easily.

With the new bands the extra material is thread through the buckle and then lays down on the left side of the rig. I can't slide this material into the slot of the pocket because the material is velcro ( male and female ) and so it can only lay down and not slide. I also can't lay it down between the main pocket and the pocket flap because it only has velcro on the inside and not the outside and this would keep the pocket from properly securing the lid.

I guess I could trim the band and melt it with a hot iron. About 3 inches would do it. But these straps are so nice and new that I don't know if I should do this. The other things I can think of is attach some velcro to the outside so it can mate with the pockets or fold the band back under and tuck it in under the buckle.

Can anyone think of any options? You'd hope that since XS Scuba owns Highland and makes the pockets that this stuff would come together a little easier. :)

How about putting some inner tube on the cam band, and use it to file down the end of the band. It may not be perfectly flat, but it should do a reasonable good job of keeping the end against the cam band.

Back
Top Bottom