Review: DRIS 28lb BP/W System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Highland bands are gorgeous. I use the Scubapro bands, which are almost identical in design to the ScubaMax (generic?) ones originally used on the DRIS systems... And have been very happy with them with no quality issues after many thousands of dives. The Highlands are comparably new, but built beautifully. The next singles rig that I build will probably have them. :)

The Highland bands are gorgeous. I use the Scubapro bands, which are almost identical in design to the ScubaMax (generic?) ones originally used on the DRIS systems... And have been very happy with them with no quality issues after many thousands of dives. The Highlands are comparably new, but built beautifully. The next singles rig that I build will probably have them. :)

Due to supply issues, and it being a far superior product to almost anything out there, we are putting the Highland tank straps with all of our BP/W systems now :wink: This change took place last week and is already reflected on our site.

Due to supply issues, and it being a far superior product to almost anything out there, we are putting the Highland tank straps with all of our BP/W systems now :wink: This change took place last week and is already reflected on our site.

D'OH!! I picked up the HOG 32# wing and BP back in March from you guys and got the other cam bands and can't stand them. Once you finally get them to the correct size, it is extremely difficult to get them to close. The metal buckle isn't big enough and just doesn't get enough leverage to close it tightly nor easily. I usually have to strategically angle myself and put my weight behind them to strap the tank on. Glad to see you guys made that change to the package though. Out of everything from my order, those cam bands were the only thing I haven't liked.

Not sure how people are working these cam bands, but just in case, these work a bit differently than most.

Usually, to attach a tank to a BCD, most people stand the tank up and then slide the BCD down over the tank. They then tighten the cam straps and attach their regulator, and from there are good to go. These cam bands are not designed to do this.

Instead, lay the BCD down on it's face (the FRONT of the BCD - the part that touches your back) and place the tank on top of it. Connect each of the cam bands and close the buckle.

This applies to all cam bands that completely disconnect when they are open... The Scubamax (generic) cam bands that WERE coming with the DRIS system, Scubapro cam bands, and the new Highland cam bands.

The advantage in this system is that the system lays flat during assembly and disassembly, and not standing up... So assembly on a rocking boat, for example, is much simpler and safer. The system also allows for disassembly of the tank/BCD for rinsing post-dive WITHOUT depressurizing your regs... That is, you can remove the tank with the regs still on and rinse everything without removing dirty, salty regs and possibly contaminating the o-rings. It also makes tank changes much simpler between dives... Simply lay the system down, depressurize, and replace the tank... No need to remove the regs from your BCD.

Cam bands that do not come apart when released do not allow for these advantages, and as far as I know, only Highland, Scubapro, and Scubamax's cam bands come completely apart when released.

Another eccentricity about both the Scubapro and the Scubamax cam bands that must be noted: The opening end of the buckle must be buried in order to prevent a horrible entanglement hazard. The buckle should be placed not in the center of the tank like most cam bands, but as far to the side of the tank as possible so as to not offer the hazard. Highland's bands are of a different design and do not offer this hazard regardless of where they are placed.

I'll admit when I first got the straps they confused me. I'm very inclined when it comes to electrical and programming but when it comes to mechanical and carpentry/plumbing I'm somewhat challenged. I eventually figured it out.

I switched between a couple different tanks at first ( al80, lp95, hp100 ) but settled in on the AL80 so I stopped adjusting the velcro. Yes, I laid the rig down when changing tanks and yes I see the need to bury the bands to avoid catching them on something.

As far as I know, I never "he-man"'d the bands. I'd try to firmly ( think assertive rather then agressive ) close them and adjust the velcro tighter or looser as needed until it seemed like a decent amount of force.

I think the problem is there's very little metal on the rivet of those pins. My buddy has similar straps going back to retro gear and you can see how the pin is much more solid where the force is applied.

Agree! Good point about these "come apart" bands, too... Once adjusted, you never have to adjust again, which is another advantage of them. I, too, settled on AL80s, as they are ubiquitous and standard at 7.25" diameter. Phork, it sounds like something's not adjusted right on your bands... If the cams are too difficult to close, then adjust the velcro a little looser and the problem should be solved... Permanently.

...Which leads me to another advantage of them that I forgot to list in my last post: Once they're adjusted permanently, they no longer need to be wet prior to attaching the tank.

Alternatively, if a diver tries to attach their BCD "standing up" as they're accustomed to, I can only imagine that it'd be difficult to do with these bands, regardless of how tight or loose the velcro is.

The solution is in the technique... Like much of scuba. And if you use the right technique, most will see that these "come apart" bands are superior to standard "don't come apart" bands.

Oh, you haven't seen them yet? Like everything Highland, they're stunningly, beautifully made. I'm still partial to the "less velcro" design of the Scubapro bands (and still like to bury my cam buckles, which isn't possible with the Highlands), but a few years ago Scubapro changed the threading direction of the velcro and complicated what I thought was a perfect design... So I'm not as much of a fan as I used to be. The Highlands have even more velcro (which eventually wears out), but the way they use it completely negates the entanglement hazard that the Scubapros have... So the "more velcro" design is excusable because it serves a purpose. No other cam band that I know of is as well designed.

...And then there's that gorgeous fit and finish that is the hallmark of Highland. I mean... Wow.

...And they're half the price of the Scubapros... And twice as well made. I have no idea how they did that.

Personally, I'm keeping my Scubapros... I like the buried buckle (streamlining) and lack of velcro which will eventually wear out. But the wider, better-made Highlands (with no hazard to begin with) are shockingly nice, and will probably find a home on my next rig.

Interestingly, I have a buddy that made a 4-tank tank rack in the back of his pickup truck using these Highland cam bands. They look crazy good, and work great.

The Scubamax cam bands are nearly identical to the Scubapro design, although it sounds like they aren't as nicely made. I have seen them many times (they're easily discernible by the twin white lines in the webbing) and always considered them a "generic" version of the Scubapros, but have never put a few hundred dives on them, so I can't attest to their quality. It sounds to me, based on posts, that the quality is lacking.

After having one of these "come apart" cam bands, I would never consider going back to a "non-come apart" band again. I see people struggle with these things and their plastic buckles (that need to be wet and don't hold an adjustment and require you to stand the tank up) all the time.

---------- Post Merged at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:30 AM ----------

FWIW: Someone asked me about Halcyon cam bands...

Halcyon's cam bands are very similar to Highland's in that they have a wide metal buckle and are beautifully made. Unfortunately, they are of the "non-come apart" variety. Like 90% of the cam bands that are out there, they require a standing tank with no regulator attached for assembly... As well as the lack of many other advantages that I listed above.

Highland's cam bands are a superior product to Halcyon's in that they are "come apart" bands which gives you a whole slew of advantages... Assuming that they're used properly.

Halcyon's also got that ridiculous price attached... Which is common on Halcyon products. Beautifully made, yes, but... How much? Really?

Agree! Good point about these "come apart" bands, too... Once adjusted, you never have to adjust again, which is another advantage of them. I, too, settled on AL80s, as they are ubiquitous and standard at 7.25" diameter. Phork, it sounds like something's not adjusted right on your bands... If the cams are too difficult to close, then adjust the velcro a little looser and the problem should be solved... Permanently.

...Which leads me to another advantage of them that I forgot to list in my last post: Once they're adjusted permanently, they no longer need to be wet prior to attaching the tank.

Alternatively, if a diver tries to attach their BCD "standing up" as they're accustomed to, I can only imagine that it'd be difficult to do with these bands, regardless of how tight or loose the velcro is.

The solution is in the technique... Like much of scuba. And if you use the right technique, most will see that these "come apart" bands are superior to standard "don't come apart" bands.

I've been using the Highland bands for a while now and I love them too! Just to add to the discussion though I find it just as easy to treat these like a regular band when changing tanks, ie stand up the new tank and drop the BC/bands down over the top without unlatching the bands. I find it easier to get it positioned correctly and make sure the 1st stage is facing where I want it than with the tank lying flat. Either way works just fine.

The leverage on these things is something to watch out for.. if you get a lot of tension on the strap they really SNAP shut when you close them, enough to not want to get anything in the way like a finger.

When they are done up that tight it is hard to unhook/separate the buckle without feeding some velcro out. It automatically tightens itself when you tighten it all back up again. As I often dive different sized tanks having to adjust them is a non-issue, its as simple as it gets, and literally takes 2 seconds. I probably overtighten, with 2 straps you really don't need them super tight, but thats just me. They do leave little dents in the tank paint but tanks get beat up anyway.

Best thing about them is how indestructable they are.. I've seen broken plastic cam buckles before. These things are probably the most heavy duty bit of dive gear I have. They weigh a pound or so too so just that little bit less lead to carry (if you need lead). Having used them I couldn't go back to anything else! Good to see some enthusiastic discussion on them :)

Phork, it sounds like something's not adjusted right on your bands... If the cams are too difficult to close, then adjust the velcro a little looser and the problem should be solved... Permanently.

The problem is, when they are dry, it's difficult to close them. When they are wet, after the first dive, it's 10x easier. I've tried to soak them pre dive but it seems that they don't soak long enough to stretch. If I loosen them via the velcro, half way through the dive it's a bit too lose and the tank feels like it moves a bit. It took me about 6 dives to get them to where they are at now, not too lose but not too tight except for initially putting them on. After the first dive, it's not nearly as bad. Again, the main problem is on the buckle from the original ones shipped with that setup, you can't get enough leverage because it's a small, thin buckle. Something wider or a bit longer would be much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom