Review: DRIS 28lb BP/W System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just took a look at mine and don't see any of the problems listed here. I also tightened the crap out of the tank strap and didn't have any issues with the pin.

I've adjusted everything on mine to where I want it and now that is adjusted to fit me correctly I don't need the crotch strap any more. YAY!

Hopefully it was just an isolated incident with you cam band pins.

I've had my BP/W for about a week now and have taken it for one pool dive and one lake dive. My only issues are:

1) Whoever webbed it messed up. Some of the hardware wasn't in the right places.
2) I sliced my finger on the cam strap buckles after the dive. There are some sharp edges to watch out for.

Other then that, it seems to be a really good rig.

I've never heard of a bpw manufacturer pre-rigging a harness and plate.

What do you mean about hardware being in the wrong place? Do you mean it needed to be adjusted? That's an advantage of a bpw. Infinitely adjustable and perfect fit for the user.

I've never heard of a bpw manufacturer pre-rigging a harness and plate.

What do you mean about hardware being in the wrong place? Do you mean it needed to be adjusted? That's an advantage of a bpw. Infinitely adjustable and perfect fit for the user.

Actually, a lot of them sell them pre-rigged :wink:

As for how it was rigged, we have an Intern, Mark, who is learning to do them. He had done a few, and we didn't have a chance to check his last one. So a couple D-rings were in the wrong spot. Feel free to call him tomorrow and harass him :D I talked with Chris, and everything got moved and taken care of. As he knows, we owe him :wink:

So in case someone (sarcastically) starts wondering why I had it pre-webbed instead of DYI....... this is my first BP/W and I didn't have a buddy around to help me set it up. Yes, I've read a bunch of articles and looked at a bunch of pictures on the subject but as you know, cyberdiving on the internet isn't a *complete* substitute for actual training and/or experience.

Since DRIS offered the webbing service for a whole $5 I figured it'd probably be a good thing to get me off on the right foot.

That said, I did have to break it down a little and move things around and attach things that weren't attached. And I had to learn (thanks to the chat room here on SB... realtime advice) that a hot knife works much better then scissors and a lighter when trimming the webbing.

As I PM'd Mike, it wasn't a big deal because I was just hoping that the webbing service would get me in the ballpark and that ultimately I did need to learn how to do it all myself.

I've now dove the rig 4 times and I think I pretty much have it where I want it. Or atleast until I get a really good buddy who suggests I should do things a little bit different / better.

Actually, a lot of them sell them pre-rigged :wink:

As for how it was rigged, we have an Intern, Mark, who is learning to do them. He had done a few, and we didn't have a chance to check his last one. So a couple D-rings were in the wrong spot. Feel free to call him tomorrow and harass him :D I talked with Chris, and everything got moved and taken care of. As he knows, we owe him :wink:

I guess it just never occurred to me in that all my bpw's are and have been put together ala carte, lol. I have 3 rigged plates and 2 wings. I have owned as many as 6 wings and 5 plates. No two pieces ever were punchased at the same time nor from the same mmanufacturer nor from the same retailer. So I guess I just assumed :).

Some of the pitfalls I faced rigging my early plates:
..threading the harness through the lower slots backwards or twisted
..failing to install the triglides at the lower slots
..failing to install bike tube or equal on the shoulder straps

Couple booboos I've seen on others:
..chest/shoulder d-rings installed bend down making it difficult to clip off to them
..waist buckle installed inside out

Couple of tips:
..install multiple pieces of bike tube on the shoulder straps. No need to unthread if one breaks
..if you've threaded a Halcyon type o-ring between the triglide and chest d-ring, don't bother breaking down the harness to replace. Just loosen the webbing between the triglide and d-ring then thread bungee between the 2. Tie and hit with a flame.
..a good tool to have on hand for webbing is the BernzOmatic mini torche. About the size of sharpie. Great for fixing frayed webbing. Also has a wood burning like tip for making holes.

So one of the things I haven't corrected yet was that the LPI retainer (o-ring) wasn't installed. I tried some caveline to keep the LPI in front of me. I suspect the bungee solution is better but I don't have any spare cord laying around. I've googled and haven't found any instructions or pictures, how exactly does the o-ring get attached to the d-ring?

Edit: I think I got it. People describe it as "attached" to the d-ring but really it's attached to the webbing and "next" to the d-ring pinned by the triglide.

Correct. I've posted pictures before, but I can't at this time.

Checkout marine stores, sporting goods stores or even home depot. You don't need much. Most places just let me snip off a few inches of bungee/shock cord. Melt both ends with a butane lighter so it does not fray. Loosen up the webbing at the chest d-ring and thread it through then tie a knot of your choice. Even if it is much tighter than an o-ring retainer, no matter. The bungee is elastic. On mine, I need to stretch the bungee just to get the lp connector behind it. Even if I fail to connect to the inflator, the hose is going nowhere.

---------- Post added ----------

There's a really great publication out there from 2004 by Dan MacKay. It's a GUE publication, but there is lots of information about setting up a HOG rig with lots of DIY tips that were out there before folks began making stuff in factories. I'll give props to GI3 and JJ for their pioneering innovations even though I'm not GUE trained.

So last week I went diving in key largo and finally got a chance to take some pictures underwater....

P1010546.jpg

P1010547.jpg

P1010548.jpg

P1010554.jpg

P1010552.jpg

P1010561.jpg

Other sightings of the day...

P1010540.jpg

P1010571.jpg

P1010575.jpg

P1010569.jpg

Oh and for those pm'ing me about my email address if you missed it earlier it's Sikanderk88@gmail.com.... if you want to put me down as a referral :wink:

So last week I went diving in key largo and finally got a chance to take some pictures underwater....

P1010546.jpg

P1010547.jpg

P1010548.jpg

P1010554.jpg

P1010552.jpg

P1010561.jpg

Other sightings of the day...

P1010540.jpg

P1010571.jpg

P1010575.jpg

P1010569.jpg

Oh and for those pm'ing me about my email address if you missed it earlier it's Sikanderk88@gmail.com.... if you want to put me down as a referral :wink:

Some nice pictures, I envy you diving in water warm enough to dive sans wetsuit. You could try moving your left waist D ring a little further back toward the plate a couple of inches. I have mine in line with my hip I find it makes clipping and unclipping SPG a little easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom