Review: DRIS 28lb BP/W System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anyone else unable to find the
DRIS 28lb
BP/W on dive right scuba site? my uncle is thinking of gettin one after seeing mine and its no longer on their site

I hit panic mode when I couldn't find it the other day either. I ordered mine today. I kept doing the I'll order it when I get home and kept forgeting. After that little scare I didn't wait until I got home. CAN'T WAIT TO GET THAT BAD BOY IN THE WATER!!!

---------- Post added May 7th, 2012 at 03:53 PM ----------

I do have a question regarding your setup. You have a cutter attached on the upper part of the left arm strap. What type of cutter is it and where did you get it?

I've had my BP/W for about a week now and have taken it for one pool dive and one lake dive. My only issues are:

1) Whoever webbed it messed up. Some of the hardware wasn't in the right places.
2) I sliced my finger on the cam strap buckles after the dive. There are some sharp edges to watch out for.

Other then that, it seems to be a really good rig.

1. With a backplate and wing, you can pretty much put whatever hardware you want, anywhere you want. There is a standardized way of setting up, but even then it's going to vary from person to person where "the right place" actually is. Simply move the hardware to where you prefer it.
2. Take a file and file off any sharp edges. There should be nothing sharp on your gear - today, your finger... Tomorrow a strap or piece of gear that you really didn't want scratched. Sharp edges are "bad mojo" any way you "cut" it. :)

Glad you like the new gear. :)

I know what the standard way is it wasn't done correctly. There were several things done incorrectly and Mike apologized and said he'd talk to the employee who did it. It wasn't a big deal but I wanted to mention it in case anyone else experiences this.

Agreed on the filing. I mentioned the sharp edges it because 1) I don't really find it acceptable and 2) to post my review with a critical eye.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the rig.

photo.jpg

Ok, I see a bigger problem then a sharp end. The sharp end is actually the pin that holds latch together.

That's not right - it should be rolled over in more of a smooth ring. I'd ask to have that replaced, myself . . .

- Tim

Just got your PM, just email me the address you want it sent to, and we will get a new one out to you Monday :wink:

It just looks like it was missed in QC at the factory.

Fast response, no questions asked... Nice!

My only question would be if there is any possibility that I fastened the velcro too tight and caused too much pressure to be applied to the pin. Not that I'm blaming myself as I'd consider that a design defect if the pin couldn't handle that much force. (I'm not He-Man...) I did notice that the pin is hollow in the middle so I don't know what it can handle.

I guess we'll find out down the road if any more pins become bad as they'll be in a known good state at this point.

And yes, I am grateful for how DRIS handled this. I suspect my LDS would have been staring at me like I was stupid or something. (Oh wait, they already did that when I said I was looking for a BP/W...)

I think that defects in these are not that uncommon . . . I had a pretty new (maybe 6 dives on it) strap like yours have the rivet come out, and the buckle went over the side in Coz a few weeks ago. Not sure if it was a DRIS strap or who made it, but looked identical . . . so failures/defects can happen. I was amazed, looking in the bin when I got the replacement, on how small of a rollover on the rivet is apparently considered acceptable . . . . some just didn't have that much there . . .

- Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom