Review: DRIS 28lb BP/W System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I got the wing those were my thoughts exactly even though its clearly shown in the pictures with no cam slots. I'm also all for being as secure as possible and I see what you mean but with the STA securely bolted to the BP this rig feels solid as a rock. I was also bummed because I can't use this wing with my transpac if I ever wanted to. But now I'm not sure how much diving the old transpac is going to get now that I've seen the light.

I think I might just take a hot poker and burn slots in the material to run the cam bands where I want. I have done that with another brand of wing I owned because I wanted ONE central located cam band. I have even had to cut slots in a plate to do this too. I am all about speed and conveneience and also a solid rig... It just seems silly not to have slots for bands in the wing...
I have made my own STA's out of sections of 8" dimaeter pvc pipe and then always bolted the assembly together in one location using the STA to lock it together, but again, i see no reason not to run cam band(s) through the plate itself.

Maybe I am missing something....

I've done a ton of business with divegearexpress, and they're fantastic. A lot more affordable than Extreme Exposure, too, and definitely just as top-of-the-game as EE....But I think you're about to get a deal from Dive Right In. :)Two of the guys that work for me are using Miflex (braided) hoses, and they love them. They really like the flexibility of them, but I've heard of a couple of instances where the braiding has either begun to fray or become compromised. Since the braid is intregal to the hose's strength, it would be clear that this wouldn't be a good thing....So the few that actually use them love them, but I don't think they've really caught on in the world of backplates and wings and long hose primaries and such. I think that most of us still feel that the "normal" style rubber hose is less likely to have issues because there's no braid to snag and/or fray.Since I have no personal experience with them (my guys use them but I do not), maybe I can get one of those guys to comment on their experience using them.
My entire setup is with miflex hoses (lighter with more flex). Love them except for one thing. The long hose rubbing on the back of the neck could get uncomfortable without a wet hood. I noticed this in Greece after a week of diving. Easy solution.....Give a little slack. I always dive with a trilam drysuit and see no sign of wear on my hood or neck seal just in case your wondering.

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct. When using an STA, you don't run the bands thru the wing(unless built into the wing), only the STA. This is how STAs are built and has nothing to do with the wing. This wing doesn't have an STA built in to it for a couple reasons. I feel they arean't always as sturdy (depending on design), alot of people don't like them because they need to add more parts and most people need the added weight of an STA. That extra pound can make a big difference. Plus, it is only a pound. It is still suitable for travel diving and you won't need any weight at your destination (unless Aluminum Plate).

There is no need to run the bands all the way thru the wing and plate. The bolts are already holding it secure. Plus, most cambands aren't long enough to make that long trip thru the STA (not built in), wing, plate, and back out as the external STA adds a couple inchess needed for this.

, but again, i see no reason not to run cam band(s) through the plate itself.

Most external STAs have the tank bands covering the bolts. If you want to go thru just the wing, you will need to put holes into your cambands for the bolts to go thru. More of a PITA than something that needs to be done. Or you will have to go thru the plate, which you say you don't like to do :wink: There really is no reason to go thru the wing and plate. The STA is bolted to it...your not getting any stronger than that when assembled properly.

I've done a ton of business with divegearexpress, and they're fantastic. A lot more affordable than Extreme Exposure, too, and definitely just as top-of-the-game as EE.

...But I think you're about to get a deal from Dive Right In. :)

Two of the guys that work for me are using Miflex (braided) hoses, and they love them. They really like the flexibility of them, but I've heard of a couple of instances where the braiding has either begun to fray or become compromised. Since the braid is intregal to the hose's strength, it would be clear that this wouldn't be a good thing.

...So the few that actually use them love them, but I don't think they've really caught on in the world of backplates and wings and long hose primaries and such. I think that most of us still feel that the "normal" style rubber hose is less likely to have issues because there's no braid to snag and/or fray.

Since I have no personal experience with them (my guys use them but I do not), maybe I can get one of those guys to comment on their experience using them.

Me too and yes they are. They are my LDS and I live in Japan.

Ditto what others have said. I bolt my STA down with 4-star hand nuts and it's rock solid. My cam bands only go through the STA. Many thousands of people dive like this everyday. The setup is solid. But this is likely not true if your STA is made from a section of PVC piping. PVC piping can likely only be used as a roll control device for a direct mounted setup, where the cam bands go through the BP and wing (unless I am underestimating the strength and solidity of PVC piping; my only PVC piping application is to make a hanger for my drysuit).

I think I might just take a hot poker and burn slots in the material to run the cam bands where I want. I have done that with another brand of wing I owned because I wanted ONE central located cam band. I have even had to cut slots in a plate to do this too. I am all about speed and conveneience and also a solid rig... It just seems silly not to have slots for bands in the wing...
I have made my own STA's out of sections of 8" dimaeter pvc pipe and then always bolted the assembly together in one location using the STA to lock it together, but again, i see no reason not to run cam band(s) through the plate itself.

Dive Right In Scuba - is it possible to get this package with a short back plate?

I'm not familar with this kit, but it seems with 28 lbs on your rig, you have no ditchable weight. In the event of an issue with your bcd or whatever, it could be a challenge ascending to the surface. The other thought, is that if you wanted to switch to doubles in the future, the BP would be too heavy so you would have to get another BP as well. However, as has been pointed out, the price is right. How heavy is the BP?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom