Review of Cayman Brac Beach Resort and Reef Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Mack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I just got back from a weeklong stay at Cayman Brac Beach Resort (CBBR). This was our 1st trip to the Brac although we had been to Grand Cayman a couple of times. We had such a wonderful time from start to finish.

Upon arrival on the Brac our transportation was waiting on us at the airport. Then we were meet with a big smile at the front desk and found out our initial room had 2 double beds. We asked if we could get a room with a king and they made it happen. After that we went into the restaurant and were meet with another big smile from “Oscar Joe”.
We were on the breakfast dinner meal plan and were not disappointed with any meal. This was the best resort buffet we ever had. Each day we ate lunch at the “Tipsy Turtle” and split a meal. The portions were plentiful not to mention delicious just like the main restaurant.
The Friday BBQ was really nice. This being a weekly event it brought many of the local folks out as well. Everyone mixed nicely and it was a terrific time. That evening they had a local guy come out and play some music, which was a nice touch. Several of us got up and helped him out on playing the bongos, tambourines and backup vocals. It made things interesting to say the least.

Monday night they showed a fish video that highlighted many of those you should expect to find. I had never seen a flapping dingbat and saw one on the video and following day BJ pointed out a few. 25 years of diving and my first encounter which was really cool.

The Tuesday night bingo was rather interesting. My wife and I were the only divers that participated. The remaining group was made up local grandmas. We found out that every Tuesday was bingo and Wednesday was bible study and the grandmas did not miss either of them.

Our room with a “King” was clean with an A/C that cooled the room off nicely. We always had plenty of hot water and pressure in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and we had Wi-Fi in the room that made it nice to check e-mails.

The grounds were well kept with plenty of room to spread out and relax. The hammocks in the afternoon after a couple of dives and couple cocktails were fantastic.

The diving was everything that you heard about Cayman Brac. Fantastic!!!!! Our crew (BJ & Eric) were extremely helpful guys. The dive brief before each day was really nice because it just gave you a better idea of what you might encounter. They went into great detail about every dive site. They can probably describe each dive site better than you can describe your own neighborhood!

Unfortunately I had some ear troubles, which prevented me from diving the 2nd half of my trip. I was really pleased to know they gave me a dive credit to use on our next trip. However the care they showed me was really over the top in customer service. Mick and Jennifer both drove me to see the doctor to get checked out and get some medicine. This news must of spread like wild fire because everyone on staff would ask me how I was doing and wanted to know if they could do anything. Customer service on levels was nothing less than 5 stars.

Typical for Reef Divers- superior service and just genuinely good people. Mike and Jen are stellar. If you go back, spend time talking to BJ- he's a very unique person in that he's a native Brakker who scuba dives. Some of the stories he tells are funny as hell.

You should also talk to Perry, the guitarist/vocalist you heard on Friday. He and his wife and son are amazing people and so warmly embrace their visitors, they alone make you want to go back to the island.

Posts like yours remind me why Brac is my retirement destination.

Nice little review - thanks and sorry about your ear - hope it's better now. We will be there in November. Our 2ndvisit. We were there in 2006 and are looking forward to the return. I've never heard of a flapping dingbat - do you have a picture ?

Thanks for the nice report. So sorry to hear about your ear problems, I know how disappointing that can be. My husband is prone to ear infections and it has cut short our diving on several vacations.

We went to the BRBR last October and we liked it so much that we are going back again this fall. We loved everything about it: the island, the diving, the hotel, the food, the people, the dive operation and the diving; and we had fun playing bingo too!

Does the beautiful white Cockatoo named Chaos still live outside the dive shop?

You didn't mention the spa! They have a very nice spa with pleasant, talented staff (and getting a massage is a great way to relax on vacation!)

I am really looking forward to going back soon. How was the weather and water temp while you were there?

I don't have a pic of the "flapping dingbat. It is black about 1/2 the size of your small fingernail. It lives in the sandy areas on the bottom. Ask the DM he will show you one. Really interesting.

---------- Post Merged at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:08 AM ----------

Chaos is still there by the dive shop.

One thing I forgot to mention in my report is to grab a kayak and go down the channel. My wife and I saw a dozen spotted eagle rays one afternoon. Really cool way to see some wild life.

Can't say anything good about Brac Reef. Combine Jennifer, the fact we weren't staying on the resort and our son is 11....let's say we ended up diving elsewhere. Yes there IS another dive op on the Brac. Contrary to what we were so curtly reminded. Mik seems like a nice guy though but it was his day off when we showed. Shame.

As for poor Chaos he's pulled out half his feathers from stress. A staff member mentioned to my wife he hates women.(???). Maybe someone in particular.....

Love the Brac! Aunt Sha's was the best, the Brac'ers make the island a gem and we are going Brac next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom