Review: Whites Fusion Drysuit - say goodbye to cave cut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with you about the pockets... They stink!

I asked the whites folks about this when they had a demo day, and did not hear anything encouraging :(

I also agree that the pockets stink. After struggling for a few minutes tonight to put wetnotes back into my right pocket that also contained a backup mask, I had to hand the wetnotes to my buddy and ask him to stow them for me. I'm tempted to try to pull them off and sew some of those huge Halcyon pockets on there . Those things are awesome. They might sag a bit out of water, but in water I'll bet they'd be fine.

In general, the suit is a bit of a pain out of water. It's tougher to don/doff. My zipper is also very tight. The pockets will sag when full when the suit is wet. Despite all that, the suit is so amazing in the water that I gladly put up with the out of water annoyances. What's a little more pocket sag out of water, if it fixes the pocket issue in water.

I like the pockets on mine... Now this is my first DS and also the first time I have had anything with pockets, but I have not had any troubles with mine. They can be annoying out of the water once I undo my crotch strap and if I want to keep the suit on, I have to take the stuff out of the pockets. Like I said since I have never had a suit with pockets before I have nothing to compare them too. The only things that I have kept in mine is a couple of spools in one pocket and a waterproff box in the other for my truck key. I have taken the spools out and put them back just to see how big of a pain in could be and I found it quite easy even while wearing my Atlas Drygloves. I also really like the Tech skin over my lycra skin. Not that I have anything bad to say about the lycra skin, because I abused that pretty hard and it still looks perfect. I just like that the Tech skin feels a little more robust and I llike the fact that the suit is a little more snug. Although it does make it a little tougher to get into with this undies...

Phil

I find the pockets to be good enough, although I don't use them like suit cases. Skdvr why don't you keep your truck key inside the suit?

Skdvr why don't you keep your truck key inside the suit?

I could put them into my undergarment pocket but I cannot stand things in my pockets if I can feel them there. I hate having my keys in my pants pockets, or my walet or anything else really. Since the Fusion is snug it would really drive me crazy with them under the suit. When I was renting a DS I would just put them in an undergarmet pocket, but I cannot stand it in the fusion.

I only bother if I am in a little more remote location that is not around a bunch of other divers. I am always afraid some punk will come by and grab what ever they can...

Phil

I could put them into my undergarment pocket but I cannot stand things in my pockets if I can feel them there. I hate having my keys in my pants pockets, or my walet or anything else really. Since the Fusion is snug it would really drive me crazy with them under the suit. When I was renting a DS I would just put them in an undergarmet pocket, but I cannot stand it in the fusion.

I only bother if I am in a little more remote location that is not around a bunch of other divers. I am always afraid some punk will come by and grab what ever they can...

Phil

Next time we go to Mermet....Im coming home with a new truck :D

Phil

One key shouldn't be an issue, flat against you in the pocket. You don't need to bring the whole keychain.

One key shouldn't be an issue, flat against you in the pocket. You don't need to bring the whole keychain.

I guess I could do that, but I have been dropping my key chain in my pocket. Not that there is a lot of keys on there. Just 3 and the Key FOB. So I would at least take the truck key and the key fob to make sure that they could not just get into the truck and take any of the other gear.

I know, I know, I am a little paranoid. If I am at a scubadiving quarry then I do not worry about it. Really the only people around are divers. Not that there cannot be divers that are a-holes and would steal your stuff, but for 99% of the diving population I would not be worried about it. I am more concerened when I dive at a quarry that mainly catiers to swimmers, most of which are drunk teens and me and my buddy are probably the only two divers there. Or if we are shore diving at a lake, and again it is just me and my buddy being the only divers at the waters edge.

Phil

I also agree that the pockets stink. After struggling for a few minutes tonight to put wetnotes back into my right pocket that also contained a backup mask, I had to hand the wetnotes to my buddy and ask him to stow them for me. I'm tempted to try to pull them off and sew some of those huge Halcyon pockets on there . Those things are awesome. They might sag a bit out of water, but in water I'll bet they'd be fine.

I thought the issue with firmer pockets was different: That the outer material has to stretch, and the material firmer pockets are made out of isn't stretchable, so no matter how you attach the pocket to the outer material, and regardless of whether the inner material holds it up, wherever you put the pocket ain't gonna stretch and it won't fit or work right.

I've been trying to think of various ways to do this, and the only conclusion I've come to is that we need to find some big-enough, d-ringed-enough pocket made out of neoprene that could be sewn in.

I am gonna sew on some dive rite zipper pockets as I am sick of velcro sticking to gloves and the suits. I dive cold water so dry gloves with thick liners or 7mm wet gloves are required almost year round below 20' and fumbling with velcro that sticks to everything is a pain and Dive rite came out with those new pockets that look pretty nice so I got a pair and intend to attach as soon as the suit arrives.

Back
Top Bottom