ringed dry gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
You mean like these?? How are they? First I've heard of possum fur gloves.

Too funny. 'Dette didn't get them off eBay... but she could have! :wink:

I've done hundreds of dives on my DC gloves. Never a failure underwater. Both times they've leaked it was because I clamped a piece of that giant yellow liner in the Oring. Got about 40 or 50 dives on the possum, and they've eliminated that problem.

I love em.

---
Ken

The OSS ones came with my used suit, and I have had no problems. I use cheap blue Atlas 481 blue gloves at about $5 per pair. If you use the gloves like these that are not slick inside, it is a difficult trick to change them (gotta fold in the cuff to get the slick outer surface under an o-ring, which you then seat on the cuff ring). I made a tool to help, and it still takes me 10-15 minutes to change a pair. Slick-inside ones you could change in a minute or less.

I enjoy the Diving Concepts dry glove system.

The suit-side rings fit well onto my bell-shaped latex wrist seals. I was not able to mount the rings onto a DUI stock women's Large-sized trilam suit that I borrowed once. The non-stretchable sleeves were too narrow to accept the rings. The rings fit easily into my BARE crushed neo, men's stock-medium suit.

I apply a dab of silicone gel to both sides of the ring seal every dozen dives or so. It makes it very easy to connect and disconnect the gloves.

I use the unlined gloves because they are fast to dry.
I wear close-fitting knit gloves underneath (from the ski department.) I tried fleece gloves but they didn't feel as warm. Even thin knit gloves feel warmer than thick fleece.
I tried the baggy yellow gloves that came with the gloves, but the long cuff got stuck in the seal sometimes. They are too big for my medium-sized hands (size 8).

I use the Medium-sized (8) Atlas blue gloves, and my wizard buddy is able to install new gloves on the rings for me. It would be difficult for me to do as it appears to require significant hand strength. I was quite envious of Lynne's ability to change to new gloves, in the parking lot at Lobos, between dives. Wow!

I put a piece of cave line in the wrist seal if I plan to dive below 80fsw. Then I can add air from my drysuit into the glove space at depth to keep my hands warmer and more flexible. I can squeeze the extra air back into the suit as I ascend, avoiding the frustrating (but Hilarious!!! :rofl3: ) "Mickey Hand Syndrome".
"Is that a Blue lift bag? A Macy's Day Parade balloon? Or do you just have MHS?"

Caveat: Do not...I repeat... Do Not catch lobsters wearing drygloves.
If you do, factor the cost of glove replacement into the cost of the lobster dinner.
It's even worse if the bugger got away... after holing your glove. Sux!

Lobstering? Wet gloves, everytime.

Have fun being warm!

Claudette

I'm leaving Christmas morning to fly to see J. in Japan (and I'm going stir-crazy thinking about finally seeing her again), so I'm not going to get any more diving in this year, but when I get back, I'm going to have to add dry gloves to my wonderful drysuit. I'm just wondering one thing.

Does anybody ever use wet gloves (including hardware store ones) over dry gloves for additional puncture/tear resistance? It would seem like a less dextrous but warmer alternative to wet gloves on a deep, cold, possibly sharp (or pokey) dive, eh?

TS and M said
Another vote for the Viking bayonet system.

Disadvantages: Rings are very large. The suit-side rings DO stretch the seals. My Mobby's suit seems to have tolerated that very well, but my DC seals started showing cracks within a couple of weeks. Expensive.

I use the Viking system where you pull the glove over the ring. It is compareatively in expensive. Far less expensive then the Scitec-5 system. It has less failure points and with my big hands, the Viking rings get my vote. The scitecs were really hard for me to don. They drew blood for god sakes. The Vikings, no problem. The Vikings aren't picky. The scitec's will leak on you for a bunch of reasons. Looks good on paper, but not a good performer in the field.

Jim

thank you thank you

looks like the diving concepts and the os system and the viking; I have been leaning os and dc, dove with a guy with the os and liked the looks of them

the spendy si-techs with the huge looking rings look to be less liked

also noticed that no one brought up the DUI zips that don't come off, luv the concept but hate the price and non removable during surf. inter.

looks like cotton/wool liners are warm enough, must be the dryness to help stay warm

thank you thank you

I have the Si-Tech rings. The first 2 dives I had wet hands, but after switching to different thickness rings included in the kit, I'm now bone dry on the last 3 dives.

I bought 2 sets of gloves from Seattle Marine for a few bucks a pair - awesome place.

I'm about to try a set of thin mostly wool liners for the colder water instead of my normal running gloves or the thick yellow liners that come with the 495s?

I bought the ring system off eBay for $65-$70 as I recall.

I like it because I can easily remove the entire rings for most of the summer and just use wet gloves if I want.

But without a bit of spit on the o-rings that I learned about on this board, they can be a ***** to twist back off after the dive is done. But if they keep me dry, I don't care.

I am looking for a system that I can use with my neoprene Apollo dry suit. I have heard that there is a removable ring system that attaches on the neoprene sleeve,,,,anyone know which one that would be ????
Thanks,,,

I use neo DC dry gloves and I lobster with them, never had any leaks. I am careful about the way I grab bugs with or without dry gloves. They come with black fleece liners.

I can put them on myself but require a buddy to get them off. They snap on nice and easy though.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom