Roatan Diving - any good packages via resorts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avoid Fantasy Island even if the package is $100 total. A dump.

I was there about 18 months ago.Their dive operation is hideous. Careless personnel their rental equipment is scarce or falling apart.

The entire place is garbage. See the current issue of "UnderCurrent" and it seems it's gotten worse. I don't see how any reputable travel agency could book people in a place like this.

Sy

I was there 1 year ago, and it wasn't a dump. Only thing I qualified as Bad, was the food. But i'm picky...:coffee:

You were very fortunate.

As I said check the current issue of "UnderCurrent".

Sy

I was there 1 year ago, and it wasn't a dump. Only thing I qualified as Bad, was the food. But i'm picky...:coffee:

CoCo View also has a chat board CoCo Chat if you have any specific questions or just want to talke about diving...also check out the webacams....most of us CoCo Nuts linger there until our next trip...I have several friends there this week but alas I am saving for my Fiji Trip so I couldn't go :-(

You can't go wrong on Roatan. Whether you chose the AIs or West End you'll have a good diving expereince.

Just as an aside, I disagree with florida sungirl. Spooky channel is an awesome dive! Yes, inside the channel is pretty dead- what else do you expect with minimal light penetration. The end of the dive, if enter the channel shore side, is amazing- loads of fish, soft corals- one huge crazed baracuda! The channel itself is a pretty spectacular formation! Great swim-thrus and overhangs, I believe there is still a toadfish in the channel too. This dive gives great variety to a weeks diving and is requested almost every week.

Ok, when you go through Spooky and towards the shore, then you are getting to the snorkel trail I was talking about. And I even know the aggressive barracuda you are talking about.

That snorkel/dive will give you more star fish then you've ever seen, at least two octopus/octopi? dens (look for the "garbage" laying out front) and some of the best shots at sea horses. But just do it as a shore dive.

Depends on the diver I really like the channel(spooky Channel) yes you don't see much of sea life , but going throughout the channel and been surround by walls was something else.Try and you be the judge of it if your are lucky like I was you may see seabass and live conch.

Plan to visit Roatan by the end of January cheaper flys Continental fly direct from Houston and also you can take taca Airlines ,you want to stay on any of the Hotels located at West end that's where the litle of nigth life is(not much of nigth life) and where the restaurants are ,you my like Pura vida resort Roatan Dive Resort – Pura Vida Resort Hotel, Restaurant and Dive Centre, Roatan, Honduras this place is great hotel restaurant and dive shop in location and realy I mean realy short distance to their dock also you may like Seagrape Plantation Resort nice rooms ,great dive shop , dive boats, friendly staff, family operate the only two things I do not like are not restaurant on site and 5 to 10 minutes walk to restaurants Sea Grape Plantation Resort And final you want to do the shark dive with Adventure WAIHUKA Diving Center ,check this video out YouTube - Shark Diving good luck and enjoy your trip you will love Roatan like I do (been there 3 times) .

To give you and idea of what the diving is like, here is my video from a week of diving there in August.

Ron,

That video is very, very well done. I forwarded that link on to a bunch of my friends. Cocoview should just post it on their website.

Good job, man.

-Charles

I stayed at the Inn of Last Resort last year. It's an AI - not really big, but boats had plenty of room and great service from the divemaster. Food is served to you at your table (not a buffet, but they can accommodate allergies or special preferences when needed). They have a nice lagoon for snorkeling and you can get into the ocean to dive from the lagoon, but it's a bit of a swim to get there. Price was pretty reasonable also. The rooms were pretty large and air-conditioned. This resort is not too far from West End. Their web site is Dive Resort and Hotel - Inn of Last Resort, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras, Central America - A Diver's Paradise!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom