Rolex Sea-Dweller!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crispy-
If you're asking about the Invicta, it does have magnifier
and date is easy to read. Also good to 200M and has uni-directional rotating bezel.

Michael

Hello to all, My first post - and if you folks are not too critical it wont be my last. It has been a little bit intimidating reading such professional threads . Here goes my experience on the Rolex.- I have owned 3 Rolex watchs over the past 23 years (Explorer II, GMT Master, Sea dweller) and not one of them kept accurate time (at least not by quartz stds). Matter of fact I have heard the statement made B-4 that the way to tell a Fake Rolex from a Real Rolex is the Fake will keep good time. I will speak highly of their build quality do to the fact that I am right handed and wear a watch on my right arm. This puts an additional amt. of wear on a watch and only the Rolex (of all the many brands I have sampled) takes that kind of abuse . The Rolex watch also has a good resale value and "Mugger Attraction". Or should I say" Status". I would suggest that if you purchase the Rolex than by all means Dive with it, after all they were built Function B-4 Form. Please check into the Bell & Ross "Hydromax"- it is an oil filled watch currently being tested at 34,000 feet. The Hydromax list for about 1/2 the cost as the seadweller. Sorry for being so long winded.

If you own a Rolex.... Wear it, Dive it.... Why else would you have it?
The Submariner can take a beating, Holds the time well (post 1996 mech. spring design), and you will probably loose your hand before the watch falls off.
On a side note, My brother in law works for an electric company (up north). While working with live wires on a very hot summers day he was hit with +/- 7500 volts and suffered severe injuries. His Submariner actually had the band sections Arc welded together. The time piece still functioned perfectly afterwards. Not that I test any watch by these standards, but that seems pretty tough to me:)

-Crispy

Yeah- All Rolex Oysters ARE very tough. I've heard/read some amazing Rolex survival stories. I also agree that the clasp mechanisms make it unlikely to lose one under routine conditions (at least models with the fliplock clasp). But, I do think there is increased rick of loss/damage UW and it would cause me extreme pain to lose one to the fishies :) Rolex does pride itself on desiging "tool watches" and all power to you for being one with their design philosophy!

cheers,
Michael

I disagree with Avgwhtmale about a Rolex's ability to keep time. I wear a bubble-back from the 1940's. it's accurate unless I take it off for the weekend. But I'd never dive with it, the croco strap wouldn't hold up. I don't wear the Sea Dweller I inherited either, too big for my girlie wrist. If your Rolex is losing time it may need an adjustment by a good watchmaker.

I agree don't wear it unless you don't mind lossing it. One is laying in the ship canel off the Texascity dikes. Lost it sailing. They are rugged and reliable.
Lloyd

I have a Rolex two tone Submariner. I dive with it, though under my wetsuit sleeve. Why not? I wear it most every day. I ride my motorcycle with it and wear it to the gun club.

As far as it's time keeping is concerned, Rolex says they should loose no more than a second a day and gain no more than five seconds a day. This may not sound good. Remember though you must compare it against other self winding watches, not even a cheap quartz. This watch gains two seconds a day.

This is my second one. I had a S.S. GMT Master II. It kept better time. It gained about a second a day. Every other month, I pulled the crown out for 60 seconds. It started out 30 seconds slow. In two months it was 30 seconds fast. on my Submariner, I have to do it every month. No big deal.

Eric

I guess us working stiffs have a hard time relating to anyone that can afford to spend $1,000+ on a watch. I kind of equate that to people that pay for sex.

Personally, I will spend $60 for a Times or Casio and the rest on a family vacation.

My wife bought me a $250 Seiko Sports Timer 100 in 1984. Best watch I ever had and have never found one I liked better. There are a couple of Citizen dive watches I might drop $300 on if I win a lotery of over $1,000. But several grand on a watch... sorry, I just can't relate.

jbichsel once bubbled...
I guess us working stiffs have a hard time relating to anyone that can afford to spend $1,000+ on a watch. I kind of equate that to people that pay for sex.

Strange thing to say. I was a working stiff too and I never "had" to pay for sex. :D

Continue working hard and one day you may feel like rewarding yourself. In my case it was a gift from my wife. She said she saved up from the grocery money. :confused:

Eric

Its nice to know that your Rolex would be ticking while you are lting dead at 1200 Meters!!!

I guess the only true users for such watches are these small pod / Submarine divers.

The Rolex is a beatiful watch and a piece of art, they should just keep it that way and not mess it up by saying it can withstand up to 1200 Meters! what a Unique selling point!!!:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom