Rolex Sea-Dweller!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

but it's good to a minute a month or so - which in '66 was pretty good. .
Rick

A minute a month is excellent today too. That's two seconds a day.

It's not a quartz watch, it's a self winding chronograph and a piece of jewlery.

Eric

I do not wear my Rolex diving, because I wear a Citizen in addition to my dive computer on my wrist. I know that the Rolex is a watch, but it is also jewlery as well. It is just a matter of degree. Likewise, my car is more than transportation. Most people who have SUV's (me included) seldom need off road capability. I could have basic transportation without airconditioning, cruise, etc. , but I choose to have the nicer things. Perhaps it was the 13 years of college, but I think I have worked for these things. By the way, if it were a choice of a vacation with my children or a watch, the watch would lose every time.

dnhill

chris3536 once bubbled...
Anyone know any good excuses I can tell my wife so I can buy a Rolex?

Here's a couple that come to mind:

1. It's the last watch I'll ever need.

2. I'm going through a mid-life crisis.. It's this or a Corvette.

3. I'll always be on time if I have this watch...

Or if nothing else is working...

4. If you love me, you'll let me buy it...
:)

It's time to admit what serious divers have always known: The Rolex is the best. It's so costly that few will wear it diving. If you want a status item, find another, because the full price you pay for a Rolex could buy a car. Very few people buy Rolex Oysters for status reasons, but for their appreciation of a well made product. Do divers buy expensive Poseidon Cyklon regulators for status? Do people who can afford a Mercedes-Benz buy it for status? Most of them do not because the price of status is too high. If you do deep, decompression diving, and have to hang at a certain depth on a line, then you would be very well served by any Rolex Submariner. P.

Rather than offend anyone about Rolex's, or their watch of choice, I simply offer the following information

If you want a forum that focuses on watches, go to

timezone.com. It's the scubaboard of the timepiece world. And if you're interested in getting a Rolex, take the time to preuse the Rolex board to get an idea of how much to actually pay for a given Rolex.

Many people like Rolex's. Most watch enthusiasts tend to look at different watches.

Having said this, I don't see the point of beating up a $5000 dollar watch diving. I'm sure they can take the abuse, but banging and scratching my expensive watch isn't for me. There are lots of cheap divewatches that provide better functionality for ~100 dollars. They keep better time, and if they get beat up, throw it away and get another one.

And when I'm not diving, I wear my trusty Omega speedmaster, which keeps superb time, and doesn't feel like I've got a 5lb weight on my wrist.

Watches are the quintessential male affectation. Objectivity has little to do with them, like cars, women, golf clubs, etc.

YMMV

Francis

I got my Submariner in 1966. It has been cleaned once or at the most twice in all those years. If yoy take it off for a day or two you do have to reset the time. Used to use it for deep dives before computers. My band has the clasp which is good. When I dive with it I use a neoprene band which completely covers the watch except for the crystal. I trust this watch for any deep dive.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chris3536 once bubbled...
Anyone know any good excuses I can tell my wife so I can buy a Rolex?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most complex excuse is the "Status in Business" line.

Essentially - I need a Rolex/Aston Martin/Italain Suit/Flight in Business Class because it will command respect amoung business associates and I will be able to mix with a more elite group and achieve more business success.

Through that I will get pormotions/salary increases/more business and I will be able to use the extra money to buy you (the wife) compressed carbon and clothes where the label is more valuable than the rest of the garmet. (or Diving vacations)

Many wives can relate to the status arguement easilly because they do it themselves (usually with Jewlery and Clothes) and many wives also have a better ability than their husbands to grasp the long term benefits of such logic.

The advanatages of this are that you get more freedon to decide on which toys... err... status items you "need" because men better understand what commands respect amoung other men.

The "if you love me" angle has the unfortunate side effect of attracting stuff that they choose.

The angle for the Sea Dweller is that a Gold Rolex is too pompus, and all the other "guys" have a normal Rolex but the Sea Dweller has a special signifigance as indicating that you are a diver and that you do not own a Rolex just to show off but because it is an essential piece of sporting equipment. Ie. going one better with a reason.

One better than the Sea Dweller is the Bottom Dweller BTW.

I would NEVER actually take the Sea Dweller in the water because my dive computer tells the time perfectly anyway and its not worth the risk of scratcing the glass on a rock.

The question that comes to mind is, "Why?" If you values are such that a watch is a watch is a watch, (as I guess mine are), then you will never understand the whole, 'status-reward-business accoutrament' thing.

Does it tell time? Yep! Anything else? Well, mine has a depth gage. I don't need anything else.

An affectation, no matter what you call it, is still an affectation.

I've been wearing a rolex explorer II since '89 I've only taken it off to have it re-certified (rolex changes the gaskets and re-pressure tests it every 5 years). I dive with it and never had a problem, i guess it's not quite as waterproof as the sea-dweller (4,000') but rolex says its good to 330' so i just try to stay above that:HAHAHA:

funny, i've never run into a sea-dweller owner who will report whether his watch really held up well at 4,000'

Back
Top Bottom