Rolex Sea-Dweller!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm upset that I just found this thread now...

I have a new Sea-Dweller that I love. I just started to dive but I don't think that I'll take the watch, it's still too nice looking. As a comment to the fellow that said his Rolex kept terrible time I'd like to tell him that mine is in the order of 15 seconds a month slow. My SUUNTO computer and HP calculator slip WAY more time than that in a given month. His watch must have either been not worn regularly or years past the service requirements.

I view the Sea-Dweller as a tool watch that is great to look at, I've only had a few people ever say anything about it (in 4 months) and most of those we're jewlery store employees.

I wear a Rolex because I'm an engineer and "love the machine", I appreciate its robust design. I would not wear this watch if it was gold/diamond encrusted/otherwise tacky, its just plain cool! It feels like wearing a Hummer on your wrist. (Before they got ruined...)

Have a good day and happy diving. (My first non-cert dive is this comming weekend, I'm very excited)

Craig

I wear a Breitling ColtOcean automatic (up to 500 meters) for the past 5 years

Love the Rolex too.. Wish someone buy it for me as a present.

:wink:

chris3536 once bubbled...
Anyone know any good excuses I can tell my wife so I can buy a Rolex?

Forgiveness is easier to get than permission. You need that watch:wink:

You Decide.

Sea Dweller if you (or your remains) are at 4000 ft. Also if you're in a caissons or sub or diving bell filled with helium. A nice used one would run less than $4400 and chances are the previous owner never took it diving. Will lose 4 seconds or gain up to 5 seconds a day. Average is about 2 seconds lost or gained: ALL automatic (no battery) watches are like this. More links for going over dive suit. Has non-magnified date.

Submariner 1000 ft. No helium escape valve. If you surface rapidly and the helium rushes back out of the watch the glass crystal could pop out. A nice used one would run less than $2600 and chances are the previous owner never took it diving or even into the shower. Will lose 4 seconds or gain up to 5 seconds a day. Average is about 2 seconds lost or gained: ALL automatic (no battery) watches are like this. Have a gold and steel (rolisor) one. Gold would get darker in salt water. Has magnified date.

Sea Dwellers, Submariners are a good professional divers type watch. Upity-rich people sort of look down on someone wearing one of these clunky watches to dinner for example, rolex makes 'normal' sized watches too. Rolex is the baseline of expensive watches...but hey, this isn't a fashion board and we're speaking of utility. I haven't seen a recent one with the actual day (as in day and date, just date).

The Omega Seamaster is nice looking (father had one for surfing with). http://www.omegawatches.com Cheaper less than $2500-$1100 NEW. Used could be $400 and up depending on condition/age. Good to 360 ft. to 1000 ft depending on model. Quartz battery or Automatic depending on Model. They also make women's sized models too. Try http://store.yahoo.com/bluedial/omega-men.html for last year's models at last year's prices. The seamaster comes in like 40 different versions and i could have sworn that a few had the helium escape valve like the rolex sea master. Just a non magnified date.

Seiko Dive watches. Less than $160 NEW. Good to 333 feet. HUGE (relatively) day AND date window that doesn't have or need magnification. I own two of these. You can get one that LOOKS just like the Rolex Sea Dweller if you like the simple classic look. http://store.yahoo.com/bluedial/seiko-diver.html. I own two and they seem to gain less than two minutes a month (even few month's i notice i'm getting close to 5 minutes ahead and just turn back the time...no biggie).

All watches should be serviced every couple of years: valve seals, seals, batteries. Since the oil in/on automatic watches needs cleaning and replacing every two years you should be aware that service for a rolex (even routine service) costs a lot more than getting, say an omega's oil changed. Same service but you pay more just for the name.

Buy your wife a ladies Omega seamaster and then get yourself a rolex if you want (everyone's happy). A slightly used rolex would only be a little more than a new omega.

I currently hold the record for the world's longest post...sorry about that.

As a quick side note- I have had a Sea Master from Omega which I swear is the lemon of all watches. I bought this in 1990 it ran great for a year or two and then frigging died! it has gone back to Omega 6 times- the last time I simply said fix it or replace it. Thy got it right this time. In the meanwhile, I bought a GMT II which I promptly sold bcs 1) It had no expandable link for the band- and 2) my wife wanted some new gear - so I sold it. I then was given the Sea Dweller. The thing is a monster. Flawless time keeping. I maintain, that these beasts are all unique. Not just stamped out in a factory. 10-1 says I'll never end up in a recompression chamber and be gratfull my watch has the helium release valve.. ...but If your a gear head and at all old school.... Its a peice of work!

The thing about owning a sea dweller is the rarity of the watch. Everybody has a standard SUB, but the sea dweller is an oddball due to its higher cost, thickness, no date magnifying bubble and slightly different band.

When another sea dweller owner sees yours, they usually introduce themselves. It has happened to me 3 times in 11 years. (on any given day you will see 3 rolex subs worn by typical yuppi-scum). That may not sound like much, but you almost never see these watches. People with regular subs usually want to touch it, they have gas-escape-valve envy.

By the way, the magifying bubble on a rolex is only glued on, you can put them on any watch. Get the UV cure glue it works better if you work with chemicals.

As Rocky said "If you want to have a good time, you need a good watch". Rolex......There is no substitute. If you have the means...I strongly suggest you pick one up.

Anyone who quotes Ferris Beuler can't be all bad: i can see sea dweller owners noticing each other and striking up a conversation. Actually around where I live Sea Dwellers and Subs are the same price (at official Rolex dealers)...so whomever wears a sea dweller probably chose this watch for some interesting reason (diving). Sadly, in my impetous youth I went for the most gaudy, yuppified rolex I could find: gold and steel rolisor sub with two tone band and a bright blue face and (non-diamond encrusted) dial. I should have gone straight to the black and steel sea dweller. My father gave me his SeaMaster: steel with black dial, steel face...very good looking and keeps slightly better time than the sub.

My father had another Omega Seamaster (this one was quartz) and he took it for a new battery...3 days after official service it stopped working. They overtightened some part and the watch is ruined and they said they couldn't get a replacement part. Bummer. He bought a beautiful Tissot after that (he doesn't surf or dive anymore).

Have the 3 sea dwellers you talked to been divers too?

I wear mine always. Its an instrument. Keeps great time and I can count on it. I set the bezle on every dive.

Vin

I bought my Submariner over 25 years ago. At the time it cost me around $1000 (which was a considerable amount then). I never have to wind it as it has practically never left my wrist (except for the recommended every 5 yearly service). I sleep with it, shower with it and certainly dive with it (which I have been doing regurlarly for over 35 years). I take reasonable care not to bang it up and it still looks as good as it did when I first got it (the case and bracelet does get polished up at every service). It keeps a reasonably accurate time being off by a couple of minutes every few months; not as good as a $24 Timex but certainly as good as I need. It is the only watch that I will ever need or want to own. It is an incredibly fine piece of workmanship. In this age of throwaway items, it is one of the few constants. The Submariner now is a lot more expensive even taking into account inflation. Is it worth it? Only if you are in the market of buying a finely crafted machine that is at once a piece of jewelry as well as being functional. If all you want is a watch that tells time underwater than the Rolex is overkill. There are a lot of waterproof watches that will do as good if not a better job for a lot less. But owning a Rolex is about more than just a waterproof watch.
Peter

I have an Omega Seamaster that I bought in Cozumel last summer (Yes, it's real; and cheaper overseas). Like the Rolex Sea-Dweller, it has a helium escape valve. It cost just under $1,100 in Mexico. Expect to pay $200-300 more in the US, but it is still cheaper than a Rolex, and one can be different than the arm chair divers. Works very well in the water!

Also had a Seiko automatic diver. Had it for 11 years, took a considerable amount of abuse at my job, non water related. Unfortunately, the old girl sprung a leak last week at 107' in a quarry. I blame it more on the abuse than the depth. Paid $180 for it when new at the PX.

Both watches great for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom