Rolex Sea-Dweller!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never had to pay for sex either, it was just meant as a question of judgement.

I am continuing to work hard and did just reward my(our)self. Spent $4,000 to take my wife and twin 8-year old daughters to Oahu for 8 days. Did SNUBA with the familty, I scuba'd and we got more out of it than any watch would ever be able to provide.

Just my opinions on what matters in life.

jbichsel once bubbled...

I am continuing to work hard and did just reward my(our)self. Spent $4,000 to take my wife and twin 8-year old daughters to Oahu for 8 days. Did SNUBA with the familty, I scuba'd and we got more out of it than any watch would ever be able to provide.

My point was only that a Rolex is a piece of jewelry. Yes it's a fine watch but $6,500 for a two tone Submariner? That's out of line with many peoples values. Should I wear it while diving? Perhaps not. My wife doesn't think so.

Year after year, I kept looking for my stolen stainless steel Rolex GMT II. It disappeared out of my garage but I kept up hope that it fell into the sofa or something.

I used it at work, lots of co-workers had the same watch. I bought it in the early eighties for about a grand. Today it's $3,500. Why the two tone is $3,000 more for the small amount of gold they use is beyond me. The solid gold is about $15,000.

My wife bought the submariner for me because she knew how much I missed the GMT. Why two tone? Well. I was then making lot's more money than before. We could afford it, but not the solid gold one. We gave nothing up.

If you want it, that's what it costs. Is it worth it? Well I just ordered a dive computer for my scuba rig. There was nothing wrong with my gauges. It's just that I thought it was cool. It even can download my dives into my PC to log my dives. With the protective case, lens cover and software + cable it was around a grand. Do I need it? No. Would YOU like it?

The bottom line is money, you can't take it with you. I ain't leaving it to my wife and kids. They get the life insurance, 401K, my pension money and a chance to divide up my toys.

Eric

BTW, He who dies with the most toys, doesn't win .......... He's still dead!

Oh yeah, check out my photo. http://www.scubaboard.com/t29991/s.html

Hey man... do you live in Daytona? I lived there 4 years... best years ever...

:rolleyes:

I currently have two Rolex's, a Stainless Sunmariner that my parents gave me for X-Mas in 1986 and a stainless Exploroer II that I bought used several years ago. I have dived with the Submariner and consider any Rolex to be an everyday watch, unless you are abusing the watch they are, for the most part, bulletproof, you've really got to try to tear one up.

They do not keep time as accurately as a quartz watch, but mine have always been accurate within a minute or so a month, personally I don't need more accuracy and will trade the durability for the "lack" of accuracy anytime.

Sure, they are expensive, but what isn't; they're great watches and in my opinion worth every penny. I own two and will probably buy another one within a year, probably a stainless GMT. My finace has one, her mother gave it to her when she got a new one, that is 25 years old and runs great, I am buying her another one next week as she want's an all stainless model as well.

I believe in the product and think it is money well spent, ya get what ya pay for. Just a tip for any of you considering buying a Rolex, buy a used one. The only new one my finace or I have ever had is my sub, which was an X-Mas gift when I was in college. On most modes you can save a signifigant sum of money by buing used and you aren't sacraficing anything.

Why not have both? In fact I am deciding on a dive computer at this moment. I am leaning toward a Oceanic Pro-Plus 2. You seem to prefer the Cobra. Can I get some input on this?

Eric

I guess it all gets down to a matter of what each person prioritzes.

For me, my Timex Expedition, $40, tells time just as well as a $4,000 Rolex.

Can I take my Timex to 12,000 ft? No. Can you take your Rolex to 12,000 ft? I don't think so.

Can I take my family on a great vacation for $3,960? You bet.

It's kind of like how I view motel/hotel rooms. If you are lead into a room with your eyes closed, can you tell me if it's a $29 Motel 6 or a $1000 Waldorf Astoria? Not likely.

Besides, they all look the same when you're asleep. Plus I don't vacation to stay in a hotel room.

Eight days in Oahu and the TV got used as a table. Never even turned it on.

Yes, I do dive with a computer. Luckily I am still good friends with my original dive instructor and buy equipment CHEAP.

No offense intended by all this. Just voicing that I have different opinions. I have photos of my kids in Oahu that Bill Gates doesn't have enough money to buy.

Israel Lee once bubbled...
YOU CAN GET A CORBA COMPUTER FOR 775.00$

You can get a Cobra for just over $500 at various online stores, LP being one. Or if you know a LDS well enough, I'm sure you could get a discount.

I just used my first Cobra, loaned to me, in Oahu. Nice, lots of info, but the buttons are kind of hard to push, especially if you're wearing gloves. Also, the ascent scale on the right is sometimes difficult to read underwater.

Since it was a loaner, I did not have access to the PC interface, although I did download the Dive Manager software and take a look at it.

Nice, basic program, but could use some improvement.

song once bubbled...
I disagree with Avgwhtmale about a Rolex's ability to keep time. I wear a bubble-back from the 1940's. it's accurate unless I take it off for the weekend. But I'd never dive with it, the croco strap wouldn't hold up. I don't wear the Sea Dweller I inherited either, too big for my girlie wrist. If your Rolex is losing time it may need an adjustment by a good watchmaker.
My GMT Master I bought new in 1966. It has never kept time as well as a quartz $20 Timex, despite the best efforts of several Rolex service centers... but it's good to a minute a month or so - which in '66 was pretty good. It's on its fourth crystal. It's been to over 40,000' cabin altitude and to over 200' deep and never leaked. I wear it as my everyday watch now, but for diving I wear a Citizen Aqualand Duplex.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom