Rolling Eyes at LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I prefer being treated as though I am capable of deciding for myself how to spend my money.

Whether or not the customer knows what the heck they are doing, I would agree with this. Smart seller knows how to probe whether not asking questions is an invitation to offer information or not, and shuts up if it isn't. I have no problem with sellers who try to help but I have a problem with sellers who force their opinion.

I can not count the times when I have gone to scuba shop and WANTED something. Something particular that they have. I have made my decision, I have read the reviews, browsed the internet, talked to some people, compared and come to a conclusion. I have checked the prices and come to a conclusion that I am happy enough to buy it from this shop for the price they offer. I want to make a quick stop and get it since I already spent a lot of time on my investigation. I want it.

I go to the shop, pick the item and pull my CC. Now comes the moment I dread. I already know the LDS opinion and I don’t want it. I don’t want to defend WHY I want this product either. I want it, let me out with the thing in my bag. Please. Give me a break and do not make me listen to your (same) speech every time if you think I buy wrong and odd stuff. Maybe it is what I am happy with even though it does not make you happy. I am supporting your shop, leave me alone. At least I am not one of those high maintenance customers who takes up all your time and then goes to buy online!

So a tank with a new hydro, as in having been done last month, requires a shop to "know" and "trust" you to get a fill? :wink: This is why I need to get my compressor pieces rounded back up and find a way to carry it on the Wrangler. Guess what, a current hydro is just that especially when it was two weeks fresh. BTW, one of the "suspect" tanks was a nearly new Faber LP85, it just happened to have a Voit sticker on it, no point in arguing with idiots.

I don't have a problem but I guess you do.

If I owned the shop, I'd have a problem with the overfill, but only because I know how much brown stuff would hit the fan if the overfill caused a problem (especially if injuries were involved). Personally, I don't care. It's not my tank or my shop.

The guy that didn't want to fill your tank wasn't being an idiot, he just didn't want to fill your tank. It's his shop and his decision.

The other guy was happy to overfill your tank, and did.

My point is that both places are entitled to fill or not fill whatever they choose. That doesn't make either of them stupid.

Terry

There was a shop where they would not let me out the door until I rolled the tank on the floor to make sure the nitrox fill was throughly mixed.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Nemrod, as far as the sniping on Ebay goes, that's one reason I DON'T watch the auction. I've already set my bid to the maximum I am willing to pay, and even just 99 cents more has exceeded what I think the item is worth.

What I learned is that it's not the 99 cents; it's that bidding war at the end of the auction that keeps stepping the price up fifty cents or a buck at a time, until it's added up to a decent sum. Now, instead of bidding 99 cents over what my max bid originally was, I'm liable to be ten or twenty bucks more, trying to win for the sake of winning.

If it's worth more than what I bid to you, that's fine. Take it and I hope it works out great for you (honestly, not sarcastically). For me, I'm far better off not stressing the auction, regardless of how great the deal might be.

If I owned the shop, I'd have a problem with the overfill, but only because I know how much brown stuff would hit the fan if the overfill caused a problem (especially if injuries were involved). Personally, I don't care. It's not my tank or my shop.

The guy that didn't want to fill your tank wasn't being an idiot, he just didn't want to fill your tank. It's his shop and his decision.

My point is that both places are entitled to fill or not fill whatever they choose. That doesn't make either of them stupid.

Terry

I don't think you understand that I did not ask for an overfill from either shop and was upset that that they were overfilled (without my specifying such) and yes, he can refuse to fill anything and just as I did, I spent several hundred dollars with another shop because that is my choice to make as the customer when a store refuses to fill two steel 72s in fresh hydro and a Faber LP85 that is brand new without ever taking a close look at them and just waving his arms about dangerous tanks. I suppose if I bought them from him they would no longer be dangerous. N

Nemrod, as far as the sniping on Ebay goes, that's one reason I DON'T watch the auction. I've already set my bid to the maximum I am willing to pay, and even just 99 cents more has exceeded what I think the item is worth.

What I learned is that it's not the 99 cents; it's that bidding war at the end of the auction that keeps stepping the price up fifty cents or a buck at a time, until it's added up to a decent sum. Now, instead of bidding 99 cents over what my max bid originally was, I'm liable to be ten or twenty bucks more, trying to win for the sake of winning.

If it's worth more than what I bid to you, that's fine. Take it and I hope it works out great for you (honestly, not sarcastically). For me, I'm far better off not stressing the auction, regardless of how great the deal might be.

Then I suggest you input odd numbers like 76.99 for all of the people, and there are many who do as you just said, put in an even bill number like 75 dollars. Yeah, it may go in a bidding war for 109.89 but it might also go to me for 75.99 when your top bid was 75.00. No big deal, just that is a beginners mistake on eBay. I too have a max price in mind and if it is less than the item is already at, then I am out and if it is less than my willing max then I wait until the last second and hit bid with my max bid and often win the item, and sometimes not. So it goes, nothing is worth stressing out over on eBay. And as you said, this is not meant to be sarcastic but to improve your bidding strategy, if it matters to you. :) N

Where are you diving in that pic Nemrod?

Wow, three in a row, that is the USS Spiegal Grove, part of my recent 4,400 mile Flariduh Dive Festivus, diving began in Pensacola and ended in Key West.

WPB:

IMG_1152_edited-1.jpg

Pennekamp:

IMG_1383_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1353_edited-1.jpg

Spiegal:

IMG_1271.jpg

N

Terry

Sounds like you got a woody for Nemrod in this post.

Nemrod is right. Any dive shop the refuses to fill a tank thats freshly hydro'ed cause " I don't know where that tank came from " is seriously lacking in business skills.

You can spin it any way you want, its still wrong.

If all the tanks are yours then there is no problem. My point was if you show up to get tanks for say four diffrent divers. Now we have a problem.
Ok, so maybe Ebay isn't all evil. But I can't remember the last itme someone asked for advice on used gear before they bought it. My experience is they showup after is to late.
The rolling the tanks is to funny. LOL

Sounds like you got a woody for Nemrod in this post.

Not a bit.

Nobody is obligated to fill anybody's tank. The guy didn't want to fill it, so Nemrod moved on.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom