Rookie Question about extending bottom time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The sub-duck is only good for getting your buddy's attention underwater. I believe the suggestion for signaling devices was for situations where you are on the surface and cannot make it back to the boat.

I think what you may be looking for is called "dive-alert"....

" Dive•Alert gives Scuba divers the ability to signal on the surface using a loud, effective air horn. It is essential piece of Scuba diver safety gear. "

Kevin K:
Why aluminum 80's for doubles with a wetsuit as opposed to steel. thanks, kk

Because steel tanks in the ocean tend to make one VERY negative. If your BC fails, you'll be dealing with 20+ pounds of negative buoyancy until you can get back on the boat. Not fun.

Some good advice so far. I just wanted to point out a few things:
- Be Patient. Your breathing rate will get better the more diving you do. My breathing rate has definitely improved over the last 50 dives.
- You don't have to spend 40 minutes at 90 feet just because the tables say you can. The dive site is from 0-90 feet. There is nothing wrong with spending 10 mins at 90 feet, then enjoy a gradual, slow ascent. As you come up, you can stop at 60, 40 etc. and spend some time there, and you will get a longer dive.
- I don't know where the site is that you are going, but there are sooo many sites, try going to some that are 50-70 feet instead.
- Go slow, move slow. Being new and excited you may be using more energy and breathing faster than you need to. Try to move slow, it is not a race. Some poeple get in the water and swim as fast as possible, swimming slow (try to make 1 kick every 3 to 5 seconds) will help too.
- Doubles takes some training and are more expensive, you might not need them if you do some of the above. Of course if you do go with doubles, get some training, as others have said.
Good luck

H2Andy:
turtle is when your tanks flip you over and you end up face up at the bottom.

it's easy to get out of (just twist your body fast and flip yourself) but can be disconcerting at first.
<snip>
A turn turtle on the Beach/Surf Zone is the most dangerous: An absolute thrashing if caught in a big set & stuck fast in the sand --you'll start losing pieces of your gear with each Shore Breaker, and eventually start losing pieces of yourself if you don't somehow turn back over . . .definitely need a Buddy for Beach Dive with Doubles (or at least let a nearby Lifeguard know your Profile and Entrance/Exit Point). . .

I will advice, dive, dive , dive!!!

Your air consumption is going to get better, by just diving.

If you, see that after several dives you are having the same problem, try steel 120's i dive the 120's myself and is been great for me i come back with 1500psi the most of the time, i was concern just like you a year ago, but now after about 60 dives ever since, my air consumption is getting better and better, the doubles are a good option, but your back is going to hurt, unless you are doing really deep dives, caverns or shipwreck penetrations i will stay with the single tank.

Good luck and have fun.

I wouldn't consider doubles until you have a bit of comfort in the water. I went to doubles for comfort with the rig I dive with. In the water the doubles were more balanced than just diving with one larger can. FWIW I have 2 sets of 72's doubled that have an intersting history use prior to my aquisition.

Now, depending on your weight, strength, fitness, the larger can may be a good option for you to use, but remember to plan your profile based on your limits you're already experiencing.

You can increase your dive time in numerous ways, most notably increased fitness level, more dives to increase your confort level, and practicing your breathing.

Going to doubled cylinders is a pretty substantial step.

I would go for a couple of single steel 120s (I have two 112s) for the time being and work on improving gas consumption. Good thermal protection is definitely a step in the right direction. If you can rent 120s, so much the better.

For a first set of doubled cylinders, AL80s have several advantages, but you are not at that point yet.

Kevin K:
Hello to the Collective, I can dive locally with my own boat for the least amount of money. The diving is 70 to 90 fsw mostly. I took the nitrox class to be able to get more bottom time. Problem is I run out of air/nitrox at the same time- about 20-25 minutes at 85 fsw. How can I extend my time? Bring more volume with me! I could get a steel 120. Can I use double aluminum 80's??? That would be about 150 cuft. Maybe double steel 100's or steel 80's? With nitrox 36 I can stay at 90 for 46 mins-1hr SI- 41 mins-1hr SI- 36 mins if I remember my tables correctly.( It might be for 80 fsw) I would appreciate anyone who would like to help me in the right direction. I have 25 dives under my belt, mostly to 90 fsw, am 6'5", 210 lbs. Temp at depth is about 60 degrees. Since it is a 26 mile ride to the dive spot I would like to maximize my bottom time. I don't want to do anything stupid and am researching best I can. I am going to get a thicker wet suit and I pay attn to my breathing best I can. Advise me, please. kk

Maybe that's what I'll do. Get me a 120 and see how it goes. I realize I need more dives , learn something new everytime I go. Move up slow, and it will be cheaper to start. Thanks for all the good advice. Really appreciate it. By the time I get sixty more dives that would give me a year to get some experience under my wgt belt. Keep asking you guys questions. Thanks a load, kk

if you get a single tank, you should consider staying above 100 feet or so.

i wouldn't do any deep dives with a single

Back
Top Bottom