Rookie Question about extending bottom time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin K:
Hello to the Collective, I can dive locally with my own boat for the least amount of money. The diving is 70 to 90 fsw mostly. I took the nitrox class to be able to get more bottom time. Problem is I run out of air/nitrox at the same time- about 20-25 minutes at 85 fsw. How can I extend my time? Bring more volume with me! I could get a steel 120. Can I use double aluminum 80's??? That would be about 150 cuft. Maybe double steel 100's or steel 80's? With nitrox 36 I can stay at 90 for 46 mins-1hr SI- 41 mins-1hr SI- 36 mins if I remember my tables correctly.( It might be for 80 fsw) I would appreciate anyone who would like to help me in the right direction. I have 25 dives under my belt, mostly to 90 fsw, am 6'5", 210 lbs. Temp at depth is about 60 degrees. Since it is a 26 mile ride to the dive spot I would like to maximize my bottom time. I don't want to do anything stupid and am researching best I can. I am going to get a thicker wet suit and I pay attn to my breathing best I can. Advise me, please. kk

Call me crazy, but wouldn't you be pushing it to stay down at that depth much longer?

NAUI_table1.gif

CBulla:
Clarification is always key, but to be super clear here, I dive in tropical warm water and don't wear a wetsuit. If you want to see it in action, come dive with me and I'll show you :D

I have cold even with 3mm longies in Thailand! Brrrr
Maybe someday I will, planning next trip to Caribe maybe after 18months. Flying via Miami is an option:D

Sin clave hay no son:14:

You have been getting lots of interesting advice here. You have 2 main issues. !) is bottom time and 2 your diving conditions.

As for bottom time. There are several good ways to extend it. You are a fairly inexperienced diver. I would hold off on the doubles for a while. Lets address what usually causes divers higher air consumption:
1) Big guys tend to use more air than smaller folks so get larger tanks' 119's or 130's are nice.
2) New divers and young divers tend to swim far and fast. Slow down and smell the coffee. Take it nice slow and relaxed and your air consumption will improve.
3) Most new divers swim with very inefficient strokes. Work on your finning techniques and methods. Practice several different strokes and work on them until they are smooth and efficient. You will use less air that way.
4) Most newer divers are over weighted and badly trimmed. Work on diving with less weight and observe your posture in the water. Many divers dive with a heads up incline. This is inefficient and uses energy. Work on your trim and dive horizontally and glide through the water.
5) If you are like me and many others you are out of shape. Do aerobic type exercises several times a week and your respiration rate and efficiency will improve.

As far as your diving conditions. I hope you are leaving someone in that boat while you are diving. If you are diving from and unattended boat that far out you are asking for trouble.

AL

Kevin K:
Thanks for the comeback. Where do I get training for doubles, please.
The first thing to practice is opening your wallet, taking all the money out and giving it away. When you can easily manage this skill you are ready to start training for doubles. :)

I agree with Diveral and have a few comments to add. First off, I hope you are not looking at your and your wife’s air consumption as a competition. With very few exceptions woman usually have better air rates then men (I know, I hate this but I always look at my wife as a separate redundant air source when we dive together!). You mentioned that she is more experienced than you – that’s a BIG factor also.

Before you consider doubles you really should get a few more dives under your belt, and correct me if I’m wrong, but by your posts, it appears that you are leaning this way. This will allow you time to improve your air consumption. As others have said, take it easy and take it slow. Also, do you know how to calculate your SAC rate, rock bottom, turn around time? If you don’t, there are explanations of these terms on this board. Do a search and see what these terms mean. If you start calculating your SAC rate, you’ll start seeing an improvement with almost every dive. You’ll have a solid number to compare your air consumption over time and not just psi and a “hunch” that your air consumption might be improving.

So, in summary, start working on improving your air consumption first then start thinking about how you want to dive AL80 may be enough, steel 120’s or (I think even better) steel 130’s, or some other configuration. But, at this stage of your diving, you don’t have enough information to make this decision. To dive doubles at this time would be like putting a band aid the problem. Fix the problem (improved air consumption) then decide.

If you wife is your buddy you should purchase whatever configuration that allows you to stay down the same amount of time as her.

I don't recall if you use twice as much air as her but if you need doubles get them and instructions. The other option is to buy her an al 72 and youself a steel 100 until you SAC rate improves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom