Rumor: Scubapro Mk17 to be discontinued soon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes Geo7, I know about this "concepts" lets say, about "overbalancing" and natural IP change due to tank pressure, but it is not my concern right now, w/ this regs.
Apologies, obviously I noticed your level of dives and your experience exceeds mine, and I should have clarified that I often write those posts for a wider audience. That's for example why I included what IP means. It was so that anyone can follow this thread.

what I look for is exactly what grantctobin said, an experience of one who actually had breathed from a mk17evo at those depths, how it feels, if its ok, if its nice to dive with. As no one in my folks uses them. (don't ask why, have no idea).
That is a great question actually. Everyone says piston and diaphragm regs breathe the same, but we are talking about extreme depths. So I am curious too. The DIR divers, for example some prominent WKPP divers, used to emphasise that the DS4 was fine for them, as in "good enough". I never heard complains through the last two decades as seemingly the majority of deep divers switched to diaphragm regs. But like you, I'd love to hear if anyone felt any difference.

We should also consider the use as stage tanks vs backgas, since my understanding is that a travelling stage in a cave at depth can be breathed down to low tank pressure, where I wonder if flow rate differences at low(er) tank pressure can come into play. With backgas we should be back in the shallows when we hit 500 PSI, but not stages, I think?

I’d probably get MK19 rather than MK17 because of the swivel, but neither will be inappropriate, especially if you get a good deal with the MK17.
I've consider this, but my hose routing in sidemount will be fine without the swivel, I keep them all facing down, even with the 25's or other regs I have with swivels. In twinsets, it will be ok too. I'm tending to choose the most unbreakable reg possible. A solid block.

Apologies, obviously I noticed your level of dives and your experience exceeds mine, and I should have clarified that I often write those posts for a wider audience. That's for example why I included what IP means. It was so that anyone can follow this thread.
Please my friend, no apologies needed at all. We are all fellow divers.

That is a great question actually. Everyone says piston and diaphragm regs breathe the same, but we are talking about extreme depths. So I am curious too. The DIR divers, for example some prominent WKPP divers, used to emphasise that the DS4 was fine for them, as in "good enough". I never heard complains through the last two decades as seemingly the majority of deep divers switched to diaphragm regs. But like you, I'd love to hear if anyone felt any difference.

We should also consider the use as stage tanks vs backgas, since my understanding is that a travelling stage in a cave at depth can be breathed down to low tank pressure, where I wonder if flow rate differences at low(er) tank pressure can come into play. With backgas we should be back in the shallows when we hit 500 PSI, but not stages, I think?
Yeah, I heard this too, Wkpp migrating to diaphragm, a good time ago. As NAUI, we are kinda like "DIR" , but there´s no mentions about with one should be used, it is kind of personal. My needing is for something that stay clean in dirty environments, just it.

About gas rules, I dont know what people are doing in caves, we use the rule of 3rd in all stages and bottom gas, all the time in any deco dive. Recreational should be ok to come back up with 50bar.

And please, I'm sorry if my comment up there about the overbalancing sound rude, obviously english is not my natural language, sometimes word choices might sound weird. Not at all what I meant.

No worries, it's all good, this is a wonderful online community to learn from each other, and your comment reminded me to be more clear.

I hope people will join in and relate their experience, but not many have made comparisons at those depths. most divers usually report "it works fine for me" sort of comments. One of the reg gurus here, DA Aquamaster actually did comparisons at 60 meters in lakes and found no different breathing feel between the Mk25 and Mk17 on a D400. He wrote that if serviced within the 2 years, it was bulletproof, and he switched completely (except Mk10s for stages).

You said you want a solid, reliable brick of a reg, one that works in dirty environments, and can perform really deep. The reg I can think of for that purpose would be absolutely the Mk17. The flow rate is incredible for a diaphragm reg. The Mk19, the Poseidon Xstream 1st stage, and a sealed Atomic 1st stage could also be good candidates. I like the hose routing and compact size of the Atomic 1st stage, otherwise I'd be diving the Mk17 or Mk11 I think.

How much are the service kits for the Mk25 and the Mk17 in your area? That level of diving requires many regs, and the parts costs perhaps add up and sway folks to the Mk25. Another reason could be that torque seems less critical in assemling a piston first stage, and some divers may be more familiar with servicing pistons?

Looking forward to hear actual experiences of divers that have both.

One of the reg gurus here, DA Aquamaster actually did comparisons at 60 meters in lakes and found no different between Mk25 and Mk17 on a D400.

The reg I can think of for that purpose would be absolutely the Mk17.

How much are the service kits for the Mk25 and the Mk17 in your area? ?

Looking forward to hear actual experiences of divers that have both.
So, that's what I'm thinking too, the 17 is the way to go. That diagrams in the other thread you mentioned, comparing them with de DS4 are excellent. Perfectly stable IP... amazing for a diaph. reg.
Scubapro service kits are plenty available here, and I service them myself, as I've done in my 25's for years.
Well I've made my mind to the 17 w/ G260. There was only 4 of each available and now they are mine. lol.

Let´s see if someone else brings experiences with those regs in deep diving.

I've consider this, but my hose routing in sidemount will be fine without the swivel, I keep them all facing down, even with the 25's or other regs I have with swivels. In twinsets, it will be ok too. I'm tending to choose the most unbreakable reg possible. A solid block.
I have three 1st gen MK17 that I use for deco and stage regs in both BM and SM configurations, never had any issue. However my main SM regs are MK19.

I have three 1st gen MK17 that I use for deco and stage regs in both BM and SM configurations, never had any issue. However my main SM regs are MK19.

Hi, good to hear that. Is there any reason other than the hose routing to choose the 19? Any noticeable difference in performance between these two?

tks!

double post.

Back
Top Bottom