Running My Drysuit Tight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must be lucky...I have a White's Fusion Bullet that I dive and never get hickies from it. In the summer I dive it with cold Under Armor gear and keep enough gas in there to relive the sqeeze and still never get hickies.

Not enough air in the suit (underweighted) and/or no drysuit underwear.

This has been the cause of several suit hickies here in HI, where I'm using a fusion bullet with no undergarment or just a lavacore shirt to stay warm on extended hangs. Oddly, it hasn't felt restrictive, too tight, or at all painful on the bottom when this has occured. Fixing it was just a matter of closing the exhaust valve a few clicks more and running a bit more bubble in the suit/a bit less bubble in the wing.

I must be lucky...I have a White's Fusion Bullet that I dive and never get hickies from it. In the summer I dive it with cold Under Armor gear and keep enough gas in there to relive the sqeeze and still never get hickies.

I wonder if having a nice slippery layer like UA helps there? Makes it hard for the folds of the suit to pinch skin.

I wonder if having a nice slippery layer like UA helps there? Makes it hard for the folds of the suit to pinch skin.

That could be true but like I said, I always keep the squeeze off by putting gas in my suit. I have come up at the end of a dive feeling like I was wrapped in plastic wrap...LOL!!!

Last edited:
Similar

I've been diving dry suits for about 4 years without any hickeys - but finally had something similar happen. It was during a cavern / cave dive - with the cavern passage sloping about 45 degrees downward. At a depth of about 80 feet - I wrestled with a restriction - trying to get past the flow. The majority of the dive was spent with me in a heads down trim - a little greater than 45 degrees.

At the end of the dive - I had the following over my shoulders and upper arms. It never hurt - but I was more focused on the restriction than anything else.

:shakehead:

I think the extended vertical (heads down) position is what really does it. When most of my dive is horizontal - there are no issues.

photo 4.jpg

Bjorn

Back
Top Bottom