ruptured my ear drum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what a freakin joke too, right when the viz is the best of the summer. hopefully ill still be able to make the f-4/p-38 trip on the 11th.

renpirate:
If you rupture the oval or round window in the middle ear, its game over.

I hope you heal quick!

This is not true at all. I ruptured my oval window a year ago. I had to be out of the water for 8 weeks. Bottom line is that it affected my hearing. I have 32% hearing loss in my left ear. Docs advise you not to dive as a precaution, for fear of further damage and more hearing loss.

I have done 150 dives since my injury and do just fine.

Diver_Jan:
This is not true at all. I ruptured my oval window a year ago. I had to be out of the water for 8 weeks. Bottom line is that it affected my hearing. I have 32% hearing loss in my left ear. Docs advise you not to dive as a precaution, for fear of further damage and more hearing loss.

I have done 150 dives since my injury and do just fine.

I am happy to hear that you are doing well and are continuing do do something you enjoy. It is like any injury, if you are willing to work around it and accept the risks of further damage, then you can do what you want.

I think to say it is "not true at all" is incorrect, just as saying that it will definitely end a diving career is invalidated by your experience. However, please do not discount the possible severity of this type of injury. I must point out that you are continuing against medical advise, which can result in further hearing loss. As you probably know all too well, damage to those structures of the inner ear often causes a person to have a reduced sense of equalibbrium. In the Navy, they decertify you for diving when that happens.

In any case, enjoy the wonderful underwater world and let's encourage people to be careful with their ears.

Hey Tyler,

I'm sorry to hear about you rupturing your ear drum. Be sure to let this heal well and don't rush it. If you do, you may reinjure it and find yourself out of the water for a much longer time.

Take care.

Christian

Well who is going to dive the new twins with me this week then?!!? GRrrrrrrrr.

Terry

Damn that sucks. Wait till it heals. I had done the same thing one time when I was sick. I actually ruptured it trying to pop my ears ...out of the water. I ended up having vertigo for weeks.

John

terry new twins???? what???

California Diver:
terry new twins???? what???

Putting the bands and manafold back on the Fabers. Gonna be heavy but at least I won't have to bring two tanks on the boat and swap between dives anymore. :wink:

Terry

BTW: your pm folder is full here so it won't accept anymore messages.

you dont know how much you love diving until you cant dive anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom