S cylinder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went into my local gaspro to ask about leasing oxygen tanks and was told that they rent only S cylinders. I have been unable to locate specs for that type of tank anywhere, I can find T,K,J,H, etc.. anyone know how many CF an S tank is? btw it's $63 for a fill of ABO. (I'm considering getting into pp blending in the future, just wanting to know what I'm getting into before jumping in)

Tim

P.S. it looked to be about 5 ft tall if that helps . . . but I forgot to write down the info from the tank neck, so maybe I will need to go back again.

It isn't just CF that you need to consider. Unless you want to put some big $$ into a gas pump, the pressure is what will determine how much blending that you can get out of the tank of O2

Since I don't have a choice I was hoping to get as much information on it as possible - the employee at Gaspro did not seem very eager to share information - the impression I was given was "if you don't know you shouldn't be asking."

I walked right by that tank, so I really wish I'd just copied the info off the neck down.

Tim

If your supplier is Praxair - they have an "SSS" stainless steel cylinder which is about 7 X49 but it is only 1000 PSI which would make it pretty useless for PP blending. There is an ALS as well with 150 CF and 2015 PSI.

hmmm - doesn't sound like the one I saw (appeared to be approximately 9x60 inches since it looked like a larger diameter than an 8" scuba tank and came up to my chin with the valve on it) but I really just need to go back and check again I guess. I thought maybe I had misunderstood what she said, but she repeated "S" several times quite confidently and clearly - I think I'll head over to their other store and see if someone there is more helpful (it's an hour drive away)

Thanks,

Tim

I more than probably anyone on this board get annoyed that most of the time people's advice on this board amounts to 'take a class'. However, in this case it may be prudent advice (especially if your profile info and # of dives is still correct).

If you don't want to spring for the TDI gas blender course, at least read the oxygen hackers handbook...

When I first did nitrox (my first course after OW), I *had* to make every dive a nitrox dive. Now, I only get a weak nitrox mix if I'm doing a deep-ish dive (30-45m) or in stage bottles (50-100%). For anything else I generally use air because I get free fills with the local dive club.

I think nitrox is good if you are doing multiple deep dives per day (I used a 36% mix for my third dive after two 40min, 25-30m air dives with a 1 hour surface interval) and are pushing NDL's..

TX101 - Thanks for the advice. I'm in the process of signing up for IANTD Nitrox course (along with my AOW) - as to the blending at this point I'm just kind of curious, so I read the Oxy hacker's guide and was asking around (great reading btw) and am doing my research.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
hmmm - doesn't sound like the one I saw (appeared to be approximately 9x60 inches since it looked like a larger diameter than an 8" scuba tank and came up to my chin with the valve on it) but I really just need to go back and check again I guess. I thought maybe I had misunderstood what she said, but she repeated "S" several times quite confidently and clearly - I think I'll head over to their other store and see if someone there is more helpful (it's an hour drive away)

Thanks,

Tim
Kid,
"S" is the Linde Gasses designator for a 125 cf cylinder,they may vary a little in size,depends on mfg.and date.Here in Jacksonville FL they will lease a 337 for approx $50 a yr.and 20 to 25 for the product.2015 psi for the 125 and 2400 psi for the 337 plus 10% of course.Check another suplier.
Ray

kidspot:
I went into my local gaspro to ask about leasing oxygen tanks and was told that they rent only S cylinders. I have been unable to locate specs for that type of tank anywhere, I can find T,K,J,H, etc.. anyone know how many CF an S tank is? btw it's $63 for a fill of ABO. (I'm considering getting into pp blending in the future, just wanting to know what I'm getting into before jumping in)

Tim

P.S. it looked to be about 5 ft tall if that helps . . . but I forgot to write down the info from the tank neck, so maybe I will need to go back again.
Sounds like a 200 cu ft tank by your description. There's a 300 too, just a little taller and fatter. The 300's we get are filled to 2400 psi. I re-iterate the sentiment that a class would be pretty clever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom