SAC Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My SAC averages around .55-.50 my best being .465 I am bout 5'9 160lb couldnt really tell you last time I ran or excerised. Diving condition vary but here in Northeast are typically colder. surface temps range from 70-75F and bottom temps drop to mid 40's depending on location samething for Viz conditions depending on site lowest was bout 2-3ft to 50ft

Last edited:
When I started diving my sac was about 0.7 but it dropped rapidly after I did a weight check and ditched a bunch of weight and now averages at about 0.39. When solo diving or on really stress free dives it has gotten as low as 0.28 but I am really not moving much at all then... It's down to 50F/10C locally and it has crept up a bit to 0.42-0.45 though lately.

I'm 5'10", about 170lb and not particularly fit. I think I have a low SAC rate considering and I'm not sure why. I only have one buddy with a better SAC rate.

When I started diving my sac was about 0.7 but it dropped rapidly after I did a weight check and ditched a bunch of weight and now averages at about 0.39. When solo diving or on really stress free dives it has gotten as low as 0.28 but I am really not moving much at all then... It's down to 50F/10C locally and it has crept up a bit to 0.42-0.45 though lately.

I'm 5'10", about 170lb and not particularly fit. I think I have a low SAC rate considering and I'm not sure why. I only have one buddy with a better SAC rate.

Solo diving is much more relaxing for me as well. I can focus on myself and don't have to constantly be looking in all directions for my buddy.

There must be an optimum way to breathe on scuba. This optimum method would allow you to safely absorb the most oxygen and expel the most carbon dioxide from a single lungful of air. I don't know the science of this, but I would be surprised if there have not been many studies on it.

My relaxed, warm water SAC rate is just under .5.... but the northern gulf this year (besides having oil on top of it) has been abnormally cold. So at 90 ft, in 68 degree water, wearing a 3mm suit, I froze, and had a sac rate of .67, had I had to do some major swimming, that would easily have been over .8.

As conditions effect this as much as the human breathing does, what is good for one person is not for another.
I don't know -- I think .7 is widely quoted as an average SAC rate for an adult male. Obviously, how much swimming you do on a dive will affect this a lot. My favorite dive buddy is about as quiet and efficient a diver as you could ask for, and is a very fit man, and his runs about .7.

There is little benefit and considerable risk involved in trying to reduce your SAC rate below what is comfortable and normal to keep your CO2 where it should be.

Being female....males in general are major air hogs. Guys usually start out over 1.0...

Mine is .5 to .6 in warm tropical water. I am fit, 6'1", 220 lbs., and I don't move much on a typical dive unless I'm swept along by a current.

Being female....males in general are major air hogs. Guys usually start out over 1.0...

That's probably part of it. Most of my buddies are male.

I suspect it is also because I am very lazy and don't like to cover a lot of ground when diving so I don't get exerted. When I am by myself I might watch a nudibranch crawl around for ages too, where as with a buddy they'd probably hate me so that drops my SAC even lower!

I recently had a very stressed dive and my RMV was .71, it's usually quite a bit better as I train quite a bit.

Very seldom I have female dive instabuddies. I'm always surprised the low SAC they have. I've been lucky that those insta female buddies have also nice and thin bodies.

As a result of OP Brian Sharpe's question I got to exploring this SAC issue in a little more detail. I emailed Suunto and asked how their computers perform the calculations. It is a little more involved than I expected, but for those of you interested in the details, here is their response:

July 21, 2010
Dear Sir/Madam,
thank you for contacting Suunto.

Please see the extracts from the Dive Manager help file below for a description of how SAC is calculated in SDM:

SAC calculation method:
To calculate Surface Air Consumption (SAC), Suunto Dive Manager first determines the average depth of the dive. It is the average of all depth reading shown on the depth graph in the dive log entry.

It next determines the total amount of air used on the dive. Dive Manager uses information you provide about cylinder size and about pressure gauge readings. Enter this information on the Air consumption tab in the properties window. Dive Manager then calculates the total volume of air used for the dive.

Dive Manager then determines the volume of gas used per minute and adjusts the result to sea level from the dive's average depth. Finally, it adjusts the result from ambient water temperature to zero degrees Celsius.

The result is a volume of gas per minute at Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP). Because Dive Manager uses volumes at STP, you can directly compare SAC numbers from one dive to another, regardless of depth and water temperature. Dive Manager reports SAC in metric or imperial units. Metric units are Standard Liters per Minute (SLM), and imperial units are Standard Cubic Feet per Minute (SCFM).

Accuracy of SAC calculations:
Surface Air Consumption (SAC) is the average volume of gas breathed per minute of dive time expressed in standard liters per minute or standard cubic feet per minute. It is an estimated average for the dive as a whole. It is most accurate for long, square profiles with a constant breathing rate.

The following factors have an effect on the accuracy of Dive Manager's calculated SAC:

accurate cylinder pressure readings
Accurate pressure readings improve SAC accuracy. You must manually record cylinder pressures at the start and end of a dive for dive computers that are not air-integrated. When practical, read gauge pressures after the cylinder warms or cools to water temperature.

changes in breathing rate
A constant breathing rate improves accuracy. SAC is an average for the dive. Changes in breathing rate will skew the average.

rate of depth change
Slow depth changes improve SAC accuracy. Fast changes sometimes skew the average depth for the dive, especially if your computer is set for a long sampling rate.

water temperature changes
Uniform water temperature improves SAC accuracy. Cylinders gain or lose pressure as they warm or cool. This has a minor effect on the amount of air available for use during the dive. The SAC calculation assumes one water temperature for the entire duration of the dive.

Instrument errors
Accurate measurements improve SAC accuracy. The cylinder pressure gauge is the most subject to error. For best results, use a gauge whose accuracy at both high and low pressures is known.

Your dive computer measures depth, dive time, and water temperature. As with any instrument, these measurements have some amount of error. Modern dive computers are accurate enough, and do not have a considerable effect on SAC accuracy.

With best regards,
Suunto Helpdesk

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom