Saddest Accident I Have Heard in a Long Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh...thank-you. very interesting!

Now next time I am looking out the jet window, I will be wondering if they did that.

catherine96821:
ughhhh...nice thought, thanks.

so how do they check planes for these cracks? Or is it number of years/ hours?
Magna-flux as mentioned, x-rays and eddy current detection. Eddy current is about like magna-flux, except they use an electrical current and look for magnetic variences. Usually it's based on hours of usage, or number of uses, and/or number of days since the last inspection.

Do you work near the air field at K-bay? I am riding there most days now..so I know the campus. I see some radio facilites too. JB and I always try and guess where you work, while we ride. You should tell me so that I can bait him to bet me.

Do you all x-ray those planes? That has to be time consuming.

If you go all the way to the flight line and take the left just before the fence. ( you will have passed the static P-3, a four prop airplane on the right side of the road) Go down that road (B street) and I work in bldg 333. It says AIRSpeed Lab on the sign in front. My truck is usually parked to the right side of the building.

I cannot believe how nice it is to ride out there.
I am over kaleaneole highway over here.

Old Diver:
There is a process called magna-fluxing, where a solution containing magnetic iron particles is painted on the suspect area. The particles congregate in any cracks in larger numbers than on the smooth surface. Then you pass a magnetic wand over the area and the cracks give a stronger reading than the surface. This has been in use in aircraft since the 1940's. There are many more ways now, but this is still very portable and does not require dissassembly of most parts.

Magna-Flux only works with parts that can be magnetized. (Aluminum makes very poor magnets:wink: ) Classic parts for Magna-Flux inspection are connecting rods and cranks in engines.

Dye penetrant testing is often used on aluminum.

Tobin

catherine96821:
I was wondering if you would have anything to say about this. Are most masts Aluminum? I know I have had a few people say that my Al Vitus road bike can fail catastrophically....

You should be so lucky to be strong enough, and ride often enough to fatigue the AL tubes in any frame.

Besides all the Vitus failures I've every heard of involved the adhesive in the joints........

Tobin

oh..yes, that is what everyone tells me. I cannot decide if it is a real danger or they want me to buy a new bike....

they keep saying "catostrophic failure" on hills.

I did see a Titanium Merlin the other day that left me coveting....

but I could get a facelift for that. Specialized seem nice too, I see them around.

I don't know enough to buy an expensive bike. I am just "queer for gear".

I did ask if they could check the joints and they said no, not really.

catherine96821:
oh..yes, that is what everyone tells me. I cannot decide if it is a real danger or they want me to buy a new bike....

they keep saying "catostrophic failure" on hills.

I did see a Titanium Merlin the other day that left me coveting....

but I could get a facelift for that. Specialized seem nice too, I see them around.

I don't know enough to buy an expensive bike. I am just "queer for gear".

I did ask if they could check the joints and they said no, not really.

I've never seen a Vitus fail catestrophically, they just start to sweak.

Tobin

Wildcard:
Think I need to look into my old mast too.

Given the pictures I saw of your boat on SB, the chance of you losing that mast without a failure in the shrouds or stays are quite slim. Its a pretty hefty section and as long as it stays in column, it is incredibly strong. Look for failure points in the shrouds and stays at the turnbuckles, and especially look for missing cotterpins or ring-a-dings. As for the mast, absent enormous corrosion, its not likely to fail. Since you are not racing, your rig will rarely get loaded up real high.

As far as carbon masts, Roy Disney's cracked a carbon mast on his boat on the way to Puerto Villarta. It did not come down, from what I understand, but it developed a crack. Cost, from what I've hard: $3m. I really like aluminum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom