Saddest Accident I Have Heard in a Long Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How old is your Vitus? In one of my past lives I raced bicycles, I remember Vitus road bikes from the 70's that were 1" tubing, "screwed and glued". Mike Shermer rode one in the "Race across America" for 2 years as I recall. The real problem was that the frames were not stiff. A very powerful female rider used one up in race training in about 18 months, no crashes. I am very happy with my Trek Carbon. But I still ride a 30 year old 531 Reynolds steel/lugged frame too. Endless choices, bring $!!!

Old Diver:
But I still ride a 30 year old 531 Reynolds steel/lugged frame too. Endless choices, bring $!!!

Nothing like brazed (or silver soldered) steel frame. A good friend of mine is a talented frame builder, beautiful stuff, too bad most of these artists end up starving.

Tobin

Old Diver:
How old is your Vitus? In one of my past lives I raced bicycles, I remember Vitus road bikes from the 70's that were 1" tubing, "screwed and glued". Mike Shermer rode one in the "Race across America" for 2 years as I recall. The real problem was that the frames were not stiff. A very powerful female rider used one up in race training in about 18 months, no crashes. I am very happy with my Trek Carbon. But I still ride a 30 year old 531 Reynolds steel/lugged frame too. Endless choices, bring $!!!

I am pretty sure it is from the late 80's maybe? Is there a year on it? I bought it used, it has ultegra derailers.

Trek, Specialized, Felt..I hear good things. I haven't learned enough about all the nuances. Everytime I pass a cyclist though, I am checking them out. That Titanium Merlin was sure sexy....all silver with these flatish spokes...also I am not a hige fan of the big graphics yest. The Merlin was kinda plain. Except for the 7K price tag. I am not serious of course.

Yea, we need a cycling subforum.

"Everytime I pass a cyclist though, I am checking them out."
Already? JBs only been gone a couple of days!:11:
We all know your weakness for spandex. You know those are pads back there, right?:wink:

sigh. I know...I want to say "I am just looking at your bike, mister"

so I just heard that the sailboat had problems with the mast before...on the news.
This one will get litigated...

Whale comes up, Skipper takes evasive action, 3 Y/0 standing by himself on a boat without his parents holding him cracks his head and dies. It was ligitated too... Frikkin lawyers. This one does sound legit thou.

Scared Silly:
Fatigue stress failure more than likely. Which cause cracks to form and propagate. Samething happens to aircraft wings which why they get retired (or end up in third world countries - flying divers to remote islands :D)

Similar thing can happen to guns and aluminum climbing equipment.

Back to the sad news: two children were killed in this area when they fell from parade floats.

then an 18 Y/O shot dead when the cops tried to arrest him for stealing two PS3s. Lets not forget the four marines in the helo crash. Bas stuff happens every day, sucks.

Wildcard:
then an 18 Y/O shot dead when the cops tried to arrest him for stealing two PS3s. Lets not forget the four marines in the helo crash. Bas stuff happens every day, sucks.

A warrant for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon was being served (he did not just "steal" the PS3s and there was video of his crime), his dog attacked the police and he was a known gun owner (even posted some "I am a bad-*** like the Columbine guys" picture).

There is a significant difference between that scenario and children being crushed during what should have been a pleasant time with family.

They said last night on the news that all the halyards (sp?) and rigging were sent off for analysis and that it would take 6-9 months.

Back
Top Bottom