Saddest Accident I Have Heard in a Long Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old Diver:
... But I still ride a 30 year old 531 Reynolds steel/lugged frame too. Endless choices, bring $!!!

I trust 531 for a bike ... and only 531. I will not ride a bike that is glued together. I will not ride a carbon bike. (And I do not believe in carbon spars on boats.) While I know that it is not so, the feel of carbon to me is the feel of flimsey and ready to crack.)

catherine96821:
They said last night on the news that all the halyards (sp?) and rigging were sent off for analysis and that it would take 6-9 months.

*That* sounds suspicious to me. I cannot imagine a mast failure that would be caused by a halyard or standing rigging problem where the problem could not be identified by a visual inspection by an average 10 year old.

Perhaps they had to cut away the rigging to clear the mast and need to establish that the cuts were cuts and not failures.

From KITV.com kitv4 news

HONOLULU -- It will be months before the Coast Guard finishes its investigation into the deadly tour catamaran incident off Waikiki Friday night.
A marine surveyor who has seen about 200 broken masts in his career said there are only a few reasons why it happens.
The Na Hoku Two came into compliance with Coast Guard regulations in May after fixing several violations.

The Na Hoku Two limped back to shore Friday night after a devastating mast collapse that killed Jordan Loser, 13, and seriously injured two others.
Witnesses recalled a rough windy ride, but said things were calmer when the mast snapped.
Marine surveyor Mike Doyle said that with Hawaii's constant trade winds, broken masts are not rare.
"Quite a few I think, in the 30 some years I've been doing it there have been 200 dismastings; normally it's a mechanical failure," Doyle said.
By mechanical failure, Doyle said that means rigging gives way or breaks like the fittings that connect the mast's wires to the deck.
"The wire is hard to tell itself, but the swages -- or the stainless steel fitting -- normally show an indication of rust fairly dark rust," he said.
The pressure of strong wind on the sails over time can cause mast fatigue, Doyle said.
"You've got a fair amount of sail on a boat like that. They're taking a lot of passengers -- a lot of weight. There's a lot of pressure from the sails, and the sails can overload the mast and the mast can tend to collapse," he said.
Others agreed, saying tour boat captains need to assess the wind strength and adjust their sails so they don't overstress the mast. Some captains believe that more in-depth and frequent Coast Guard inspections are needed.
"I would say maybe more frequent rigging inspections should be required by the Coast Guard; (that) would help definitely," said Jon Jebson, the captain of the Makani.
The Coast Guard's investigation could take up to six months to complete.

thanks, Melissa, very informative.

So long as a mast stays in column, i.e. streight, it will withstand an awesome amount of loading before it collapses. The standing rigging is designed to hold it in column.

well, can they tighten those things down too tight? Somebody who used to work on the boat was saying something like that to me.

Back
Top Bottom