Saddest Accident I Have Heard in a Long Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I was wondering if you would have anything to say about this. Are most masts Aluminum? I know I have had a few people say that my Al Vitus road bike can fail catastrophically....

BTW: I did I ever mention that the day we went out on my boat and they cancelled the race for excessive wind, one of the boats in our fleet (i.e. identical to mine) went out and sailed around outside the harbor ... and lost its mast?

I DO remember, now that you mention that!

that was a gusty day. And my little darling's nose...

You know, something about this accident, I just cannot get out of my mind....it has really been bothering me. I usually shake this stuff off, but this one is just awful.

I will always worry about the mast now...

I wonder why all those people could not lift it off.

You know, often accident victims have a blood pressure until the car or whatever is removed. JB was telling me about a Marine that was hit by a tank somehow and they gave him the satellite phone so he could call home before they took it off him, and then he bled out.

He also told me that the only reason we have not lost 5 X as many in this war is that the trauma care is so much better--mostly communications, able to evacuate them faster. Now, we have MANY amputees. We expect many advances in prosthetic limbs, they say.
He carries a one handed tournequet he can apply himself with one hand.
And this stuff called "quick clot" which is like a powder that congeals like jello, or something. He says it is amazing stuff, the medics use it a lot.

So many of the trauma care advances comes from the battlefield.

Good info! Im told by several people that know my boat well that when it was built, they didn't know that much about glass strength and longevity so they used a butt load. Stringers and glass twice whats needed. I won't win any races in this boat but I will be the one still going at the end of the storm...
Bottom cleaners "forgot" about doing my boat today... Grrrr. Buying my own pressure washer, screw em!

A sailboat’s mast is it’s equivalent of an airplanes main wing spar only subject to higher loads in more directions, more twisting loads, a more corrosive atmosphere, and it doesn’t get examined every year during an annual inspection. The Chalks Ocean Airways seaplane that crashed last year had a wing spar fail due to internal corrosion and cracks that were hidden from view and it has forced the grounding of all similar aircraft worldwide. While aluminum corrosion is not as easy to spot with a cursory glance like rust is on steel, with careful visual inspection it is rather obvious. It is possible to do magna flux testing on non-ferrous metals, but typically Zyglow and even X Rays are used more on aluminum that is suspect.

Hemostatic compounds and bandages are incredible and should be in everyone’s first aid kit that ventures away from rapid EMS assistance.

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/t....ctx=quick clot&backto=/agcatalog/results.tam

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/t....ctx=quick clot&backto=/agcatalog/results.tam

Bill51:
It is possible to do magna flux testing on non-ferrous metals

How?

Quoting Illinios Tool Works Inc. (the parent co of Magnaflux)

"The only requirement from an inspectability standpoint is that the component being inspected must be made of a ferromagnetic material such as iron, nickel or cobalt, or some of their alloys. Ferromagnetic materials are materials that can be magnetized to a level that will allow the inspection to be effective."

Nice links on the FirstAid Supplies, thanks

Tobin

Bill51:
A sailboat’s mast is it’s equivalent of an airplanes main wing spar only subject to higher loads in more directions, more twisting loads, a more corrosive atmosphere, and it doesn’t get examined every year during an annual inspection. The Chalks Ocean Airways seaplane that crashed last year had a wing spar fail due to internal corrosion and cracks that were hidden from view and it has forced the grounding of all similar aircraft worldwide. While aluminum corrosion is not as easy to spot with a cursory glance like rust is on steel, with careful visual inspection it is rather obvious. It is possible to do magna flux testing on non-ferrous metals, but typically Zyglow and even X Rays are used more on aluminum that is suspect.

Hemostatic compounds and bandages are incredible and should be in everyone’s first aid kit that ventures away from rapid EMS assistance.

He was traped under it. It took lift bags to get him out. A full on trauma unit onboard could have done nothing more. Sad but true, not everyone can be saved even in the best of situations.

cool_hardware52:
How?

Quoting Illinios Tool Works Inc. (the parent co of Magnaflux)

"The only requirement from an inspectability standpoint is that the component being inspected must be made of a ferromagnetic material such as iron, nickel or cobalt, or some of their alloys. Ferromagnetic materials are materials that can be magnetized to a level that will allow the inspection to be effective."

Nice links on the FirstAid Supplies, thanks

Tobin
Sorry, getting too technical. Magnaflux is a specific process for use on ferrous metals, but the term magna flux is generically (though not always properly) used for certain dye penetration processes that use a ferrous dye and special developer.

So...I wonder what the legal angle will be.

Are there any regulations on a commercial sailing boat to have a mast examined?

Brian, you should save those links for the stuff you were looking for for Iraq.

I have some but I do have issues with giving it to just anyone to use.

Bill51:
Sorry, getting too technical. Magnaflux is a specific process for use on ferrous metals, but the term magna flux is generically (though not always properly) used for certain dye penetration processes that use a ferrous dye and special developer.

Bill,

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but Zyglo crack testing does not involve a ferrous dye. (You really wouldn't want to put a bunch of ferrous metal particles in a aluminum crack anyway)

Zyglo uses a fluorescent dye that penetrates surface cracks, and "highlights" the cracks when exposed using UV light. One of the limitations of Zyglo is it only exposes cracks that are on surfaces that can be examined. Magnaflux can detect hidden faults.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom