Safety Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85 Im not concerned about my diving ability, I am concerned with reliability of equipment. I dont have a problem doing my part, Im worried about unforeseen equipment problems that my inexperience might not be able to overcome. I dont plan on ending up in the fish cooler.

I have a mere 100 or so dives (nothing compared to several of the people who have answered so far) and I am far more worried about my diving ability than I am about my equipment. I plan to continue to worry about my diving ability until I am done diving.

Focusing on the gear is like focusing on the brand of gas in your car when you have only driven a few hundred miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a side note...

We teach and learn not to touch and harass marine life on our dives.
I'm not completely against spearfishing, although I do frown upon it.
But spearfishing in combination with scuba diving is like fishing schools of fish with a 2 mile wide drag net.

If you want to go spearfishing, learn how to freedive and go down that road.
I'll talk to you again when you can hold your breath for at least 5 minutes...

As a side note...

We teach and learn not to touch and harass marine life on our dives.
I'm not completely against spearfishing, although I do frown upon it.
But spearfishing in combination with scuba diving is like fishing schools of fish with a 2 mile wide drag net.

If you want to go spearfishing, learn how to freedive and go down that road.
I'll talk to you again when you can hold your breath for at least 5 minutes...

I guess we shouldn't tell this guy that spearing on CCR is legal in some states...

I know spearing is legal in many places, but that doesn't make it ok.
Fishing with a 2-mile wide drag net is also legal in many places.

It doesn't say anywhere in any rules that it's illegal to touch / manhandle marine life.
But oh, do we get on our hind legs when we see videos come by like the one with Rusty Berry, or before him Matt Scott.

There's the ethical question.
If you want to level the playing field, do it freediving. And with a spear ONLY, not with a spear gun that shoots a spear with a 15ft rope.

Just saying...

Sorry to step on your toes, dumpsterDiver.
At this point I'm as far as managing a static apnea for 5 minutes.
But I know a few freedivers who can easily hold their breath for up to 8 minutes on an active dive.

To get back to the example of driving a car...
You spearfishing with scuba equipment or CCR would be doing like you doing a little contest in your Mercedes SLR against the little guy with his old Toyota Corolla.

Level the playing field... That's what I'm saying.

I'm not quite sure where this hostility is coming from all of a sudden.
I'm not telling you you're full of crap, am I?

And yes. Freediving sessions consist of 8-12 dives with 3-5 minutes in between each dive.

Go ahead and google spearfishing and freediving. Enough videos pop up for that.

Being at 110 ft affects your perception. It is easy to focus on a task be it find that fish, find that tooth, take the perfect photo, and forget about little details like the passage of time and use of air. Get training and experience at those depths before hunting at those depths.

I don't have videos.
For one, I'm not a spearfisher myself, so I don't go out with my buddies when they go out. I do freediving for the fun of it, just down the line to 30 meters.
And typically, my spearfisher friends don't take cameras down themselves, because freediving AND spearfishing AND filming IS too much.

And you ARE hostile. Just because YOU can't do something doesn't mean no one else can do it. Don't reflect your limitations on the rest of the world.

You know what, dumpsterDiver... I'm not even going to have this discussion with someone like you.
If the limited capacity of your brain can't comprehend anything beyond what YOU think is possible, there's no way I can convince you otherwise.

I bet if I would do a video of someone doing an 8-minute active freedive you'd say the video was tempered with. Simply because you don't understand anything beyond that little tank on your back.
Did you know that the world record for static apnea is just over 22 minutes? Just in relation to that (we'll not go into the yes-no about me having freediver friends who can do an active freedive for 8 minutes) don't you think it would be logical that you could hold your breath for maybe half of that time doing an active freedive?

Oh, never mind that question. Of course you don't think that.

I'll stop the discussion here then. For both our sakes.
A person who resorts to foul language and blunt accusations does that simply because he has no argument.

I know spearing is legal in many places, but that doesn't make it ok.
Fishing with a 2-mile wide drag net is also legal in many places.

It doesn't say anywhere in any rules that it's illegal to touch / manhandle marine life.
But oh, do we get on our hind legs when we see videos come by like the one with Rusty Berry, or before him Matt Scott.

There's the ethical question.
If you want to level the playing field, do it freediving. And with a spear ONLY, not with a spear gun that shoots a spear with a 15ft rope.

Just saying...

Why would I want to level the playing field? This isn't like hunting wild boar with no dogs and a spear or knife, this is 'I like diving, I like shooting things, and fish is tasty'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom