Safety Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It always is fun to see the free dive versus scuba spearfishing debates, especially all the false assumptions that get thrown about... especially by folks who have not done both (or either as in this case).

My experience, which is certainly more limited than DD's for example, is that it is much more difficult to stalk a fish on scuba.... at least it always was for me.

I could fill a cooler with fish free diving with a pole spear, but was lucky to spear more than 1 fish per dive using a pole spear on scuba... on scuba it was REALLY hard for me to get within the pole spear's effective range.

My experience was that free diving of course required a great deal more athleticism, but the "silent approach" that free diving provided allowed me more kills.

But comparing spearing, especially spearing on scuba, to a 2 mile wide drag net???

Sheesh.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
I mean, I'm willing to grant him that spearfishing on breath-hold is in many ways more demanding than spearfishing on SCUBA. But no form of spearfishing I'm aware of is particularly sporting when one defines sporting as 'you and your prey are squaring off with roughly even weapons and it has about the same chance of killing you that you have of killing it'.

Which is unsurprising, seeing as how most spearfishermen I know are doing it for the fish and pleasure of the activity. Only marinuse seems sure there's a kind of spearing into which one can inject an element of macho chest-thumping, and thus equally sure everyone not doing it that way are a bunch of girly posers.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I've removed several discourteous posts.
If you're at all uncertain about what is acceptable, re-read: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/faq.php?faq=tos_items
Not following the terms to which you agreed when you joined ScubaBoard risks having your posts deleted at a minimum, on up to banning from ScubaBoard.

Why would I want to level the playing field? This isn't like hunting wild boar with no dogs and a spear or knife, this is 'I like diving, I like shooting things, and fish is tasty'.

I'm sure there are people who "like hunting wild boar, like shooting things and boar is tasty".

But let's not drag this out any more than it has already.
Seeing that a moderator has deleted most of dumpsterDiver's comments, my responses are thus pulled completely out of context.

Like I already said... I'm not judging spearfishers, and I also think most fish is tasty.

I'm sure there are people who "like hunting wild boar, like shooting things and boar is tasty".

Indeed there are--likely because real boar is a delicious cross between pork's fine-grained texture and beef's richer flavor, with the wild card of whatever the boar has been eating thrown in for variety--but they tend to use dogs, guns, and/or bows (none of which remove the risk of being hamstrung and gored to death, but definitely lessen it).

The point is that while spearfishing, either breath-hold, SCUBA, or CCR, can get you killed...in no form is it really something anyone does because they're trying to pit themselves against a fish in an even fight for the same odds. Your strongly implied claim that spearing on SCUBA is cheating and explicit comparison between that and commercial fishing is utter, reeking bull:censored:. In some ways breath hold is surely more difficult, but it's all more or less the same thing: turning fish into dinner in a relatively safe manner. Because they're fish, we're people, and we have :censored:ing spears.

Sorry to step on your toes, dumpsterDiver.
At this point I'm as far as managing a static apnea for 5 minutes.
But I know a few freedivers who can easily hold their breath for up to 8 minutes on an active dive.

To get back to the example of driving a car...
You spearfishing with scuba equipment or CCR would be doing like you doing a little contest in your Mercedes SLR against the little guy with his old Toyota Corolla.

Level the playing field... That's what I'm saying.

Please identify these people. My previous posts were deleted because they were discourteous.

I think it is rude to post flat out lies on the forum about diving practices. So please provide some information about who these individuals are... Please provide one video of ANYONE ANYONE in the whole world doing this type of dive..

How did my question on a pony tank turn into a moral debate on spear fishing? :)

Quick Question about pony setup. If i have a zeagle Octo z breather as reserve regulator and a 13cu pony bottle is it feasible to have a quick connect hose leaving the pony first stage and following the same path as the quick connect line on main tank to Octo z. If catastrophic air failure on main tank ie oring blow out regulator free flow etc., disconnect Octo from main tank and hook to pony tank quick disconnect line. This should reduce extra equipment. From what I understand spear fishing you want as less equipment as possible. This will not work if Octo z has the failure unless I have quick connect on main regulator also to do the same switch. I can't foresee both regulators going out at same time. I'm very particular about maintenance and upkeep especially when it comes to my life. Thanks for all the help if this will work I will post pictures of completed project.

How did my question on a pony tank turn into a moral debate on spear fishing? :)
Welcome to SB! Pretty impressive first post. Controversy, moralizing, moderation. And ponies! :D

Quick Question about pony setup. If i have a zeagle Octo z breather as reserve regulator and a 13cu pony bottle is it feasible to have a quick connect hose leaving the pony first stage and following the same path as the quick connect line on main tank to Octo z. If catastrophic air failure on main tank ie oring blow out regulator free flow etc., disconnect Octo from main tank and hook to pony tank quick disconnect line. This should reduce extra equipment. From what I understand spear fishing you want as less equipment as possible. This will not work if Octo z has the failure unless I have quick connect on main regulator also to do the same switch. I can't foresee both regulators going out at same time. I'm very particular about maintenance and upkeep especially when it comes to my life. Thanks for all the help if this will work I will post pictures of completed project.

Makes no sense to me.. In an emergency you want to be disconnecting and reconnecting hoses? Does anyone do this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom