Safety Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the dive you are contemplating a small pony is NOT a realistic redundant air source. By the time you realize you have a problem, sort out the nature of the problem and respond to the problem that little pony bottle won't be much use.

For the dive you are contemplating a small pony is NOT a realistic redundant air source. By the time you realize you have a problem, sort out the nature of the problem and respond to the problem that little pony bottle won't be much use.

Oh come on!! The other guy on this thread claims that several of his friends do 8 minute (active) freedives. A pony bottle should last 40 or 50 minutes at 120 feet .. no problem at all.

Quick Question about pony setup. If i have a zeagle Octo z breather as reserve regulator and a 13cu pony bottle is it feasible to have a quick connect hose leaving the pony first stage and following the same path as the quick connect line on main tank to Octo z. If catastrophic air failure on main tank ie oring blow out regulator free flow etc., disconnect Octo from main tank and hook to pony tank quick disconnect line. This should reduce extra equipment. From what I understand spear fishing you want as less equipment as possible. This will not work if Octo z has the failure unless I have quick connect on main regulator also to do the same switch. I can't foresee both regulators going out at same time. I'm very particular about maintenance and upkeep especially when it comes to my life. Thanks for all the help if this will work I will post pictures of completed project.
Personally, I would not do this and think you may be overthinking it a bit. The only "gear" you would be reducing is a second stage and instead replacing it with a much more complicated system. When/if you need your pony, you want it as ready to go as possible. There is even a large portion of SB that doesn't even like the idea of diving with the pony off after charging.

I think that DD dives with the pony mounted to the main tank and while I prefer to sling, this may be a better choice for many spearos.

Think it through: In what circumstance are you really, truly going to need the gas in that pony bottle? When you have suddenly lost your gas supply (eg. Dip tube clog, or massive first stage failure). Are you really going to be wanting to sit there, with nothing to breathe, fiddling with disconnecting LP hoses? I think not . . . You might be able to do that if you switched because you were LOW on gas, or had a mild free-flow that wasn't massive, but honestly, this is the same objection I have to the UTD sidemount block. You don't want significant impediments between you and breathing gas in an emergency.

Having a neatly stowed stage reg on a slung bottle is not significantly worse than just having the slung bottle, in terms of weight or streamlining.

How did my question on a pony tank turn into a moral debate on spear fishing? :)

you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka.jpg

Now all we need is someone to mention split fins and we will just about have the full set :D

I am sure they must make a sneaky stealth approach much easier.

Phil

But seriously I echo the reasoned responses you have had. Adding task loading at this depth is not really sensible for a newer diver, and you really would be advised to find out what you don't yet know, that you should known in order to be safe, and then learn and practise the skills to mitigate the risks.

I say mitigate because you can never completely remove the risk. Unless you don't dive.

TS&M also hits the nail right on the head about quick disconnects. When the s**t hits the fan it will be all you can comfortably do to switch to your bailout, without having to disconnect, potentially drop your second stage, reconnect switch on and then start breathing again. Use a properly sized pony, with a functional regulator you can easily reach, switched on and charged and ready to go. Don't add more potential failure points and extra tasks you don't need.

Phil.

Point taken and understood one less thing to worry about if things go bad. just get another reg and pony. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom