safety reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was with a cave instructor last week who said he always recommends reels over spools after he recovered two bodies and two spools that had been dropped during their attempts to find a line. He thinks it's better to have something with a handle.

Go to Divegearexpress.com and Reefscuba.com........But like a lot of gear it depends on personal preference.......Each type has it's positives/negatives.....I use different brands/types for different applications.........The type of line, color, size etc. may also be a factor for you..............The environment and what you plan on using it for will help make/narrow your decision........

I was with a cave instructor last week who said he always recommends reels over spools after he recovered two bodies and two spools that had been dropped during their attempts to find a line. He thinks it's better to have something with a handle.

... that's pretty much what I'm thinking. If I'm deploying a safety line, I'm assuming it's because I have no vis and will be doing it blind ... and probably a bit stressed. I think in that situation, deploying a reel by feel is probably a bit less "risky" than deploying a spool.

To each their own ... but I did specifically say in the OP ... "not a finger spool" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Manta Nano and Nano Plus. Delrin and the new ones can literally be ran over and the spool is made of a material that will spring back into shape. I am authorized to sell them but don't have enough for an initial order just yet. Check out Piranha Dive Gear for them here:
Nano 50ft Model
Nano+ 130ft Reel Model

Safety spool tip: If you're searching for the line, you wanna be on the bottom. Like your hand and spool is touching the dirt kind of on the bottom.

Wow, Jim, those look like a very good deal! I think I paid more than that for my little DiveRite one, and it's plastic.

Wow, Jim, those look like a very good deal! I think I paid more than that for my little DiveRite one, and it's plastic.

I know. I did as well when I first got into tech. And the dr safety reel spool split on me. I ended up super gluing and melting it together with a soldering iron. Then saw these at DEMA and ordered them as soon as I got back. Even sold all the dr ones before these arrived. Funny thing is the dr ones I paid big bucks for at the time came with a spool that I swear was out of the same mold as my crappy trident reel I bought before I knew better.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

That just indicates that those two divers didn't practice using their spools and nothing more. I've had a lot more students jam reels than drop spools. And the one or two that have dropped spools were able to recover them even with a blacked out mask on. The several that jammed reels were not able to recover those.

I don't see dropping a spool any more likely than dropping a reel while searching for a lost line. You aren't just reeling out line while swimming around. You're likely crawling around with a wingspan's or two worth of line out.

What I do see having greater potential is fouling the reel.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom