safety reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For my reels, I use Dive Rites. I have a basic DR Primary & Cavern/ safety reels that I use for primary tie offs & jumps. The regular primary, cavern/ safety reels is the line will jump off the spool & bind up in a heartbeat,.... goodness knows, I've had to untangle & rewind them countless times.....:(:D For safety reels I use the DR sidewinder reels. I do this because 1. they don't jam as easy because of the close machining, 2. they have a different feel from my other reels. I have knots tied into my safety reels every ten ft to use as a feel reference in 0 vis conditions.

That just indicates that those two divers didn't practice using their spools and nothing more. I've had a lot more students jam reels than drop spools. And the one or two that have dropped spools were able to recover them even with a blacked out mask on. The several that jammed reels were not able to recover those.

or they died and dropped their spools

I ended up going with a Ralph Hood ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good reels. I've got 3 of 'em I got off ebay for $100. Had to change the #24 wreck line they had on them for #18 cave line, but other than that they were good to go. I have managed to foul them more than once, but my reel skills are still pretty rudimentary. Most of my buddies do use spools for jumps now, and I must admit they are lighter, quicker, and simpler -- they can lay down a jump faster than I can, primarily because I have to fiddle with a lock screw and they don't. I can maybe reel up a little faster with a knob and handle, at least until I let too much slack and get a loop-around; then I've got several minutes of untangle time...

Good reels. I've got 3 of 'em I got off ebay for $100. Had to change the #24 wreck line they had on them for #18 cave line, but other than that they were good to go. I have managed to foul them more than once, but my reel skills are still pretty rudimentary. Most of my buddies do use spools for jumps now, and I must admit they are lighter, quicker, and simpler -- they can lay down a jump faster than I can, primarily because I have to fiddle with a lock screw and they don't. I can maybe reel up a little faster with a knob and handle, at least until I let too much slack and get a loop-around; then I've got several minutes of untangle time...

I think you're learning why some of us advocate spools so much :wink:

I use spools for jumps. I want the reel for safety. I will put #18 high vis yellow line on it when it arrives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... at least until I let too much slack and get a loop-around; then I've got several minutes of untangle time...

I can relate. I don't have much in the way of line skills either. Someone once told me: "reel more, swim less", which seems like good advice :)

Loose line has a mind of its own ... and it's an evil mind. I have a term I use for when my students allow slack in a reel or spool ... underwater macrame ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom