Safety stop anchor double as a sausage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's an idea:

Don't purchase anything.

You don't know what you need, meaning you don't have a use for whatever you're thinking about buying. Wait until you find out what you need, why you need it, and then buy it.

problem solved. Go diving.

Here's an idea:

Don't purchase anything.

You don't know what you need, meaning you don't have a use for whatever you're thinking about buying. Wait until you find out what you need, why you need it, and then buy it.

problem solved. Go diving.

Good idea.

There would be tons of free space in so many garages around the planet. Imagine to have spare bedrooms actually used for the occasional guest.

Nah.... not gonna happen. Most of us enjoy the preparation for the dive, the buying or making stuff for the dive, the actual dive, the post dive and then start again.

Good idea.

There would be tons of free space in so many garages around the planet. Imagine to have spare bedrooms actually used for the occasional guest.

Nah.... not gonna happen. Most of us enjoy the preparation for the dive, the buying or making stuff for the dive, the actual dive, the post dive and then start again.

I know, Ana........blasphemy....

Granny Scuba, the best way to decide what it is that you need is to define precisely what functions the item needs to serve.

1) Indicate to the boat where the divers are.

2) Allow some "fudging" on buoyancy control at a stop.

3) Be a signaling device on the surface.

4) Lift objects from depth.

The first three functions are easily served by any number of deployable surface marker buoys. How visible they are, and how hard you can hang on them, depends on how big they are; taller and thicker buoys are more visible and have more lift, but are more involved to deploy.

What really concerns me is that it appears that the major reason you want this is because your buoyancy control at stops is iffy. I'm not criticizing you -- I had horrible problems holding stops when I was a newer diver. But I'll tell you from personal experience that it takes pretty darned good buoyancy control to inflate and send up one of these buoys in midwater -- MUCH better control than it does to hold a stop! Now, perhaps your plan is to have your husband deploy it and give it to you to hang on, but if your plan is to send it up yourself, working on your buoyancy control is going to be necessary to do that.

If you decide to purchase an SMB, here are the things you have to consider: Size. They range from three feet to 6, 8 or more. The three footers are commonly used in the PNW, where the water tends to be fairly flat, but may be difficult to see in any significant swell. Small buoys are easily deployed at depth -- Deep Sea Supply makes one that will inflate with less than a full breath! Large ones may require inflation from a low pressure hose, or from a regulator. Which brings us to the second consideration: Inflation.

Some SMBs are open at the bottom, allowing them to be filled easily from a regulator. But if they tip over on the surface, they'll deflate and sink. You can also buy them with a "duck bill" valve, so you can inflate from the bottom but it won't empty if it falls over. You can buy them with ports to attach an LP inflator hose, or to inflate orally, or both. My preference is oral inflation, and I have found the tubes to do that are NOT all made equal. Some are much easier to manage with cold lips than others.

Some SMBS have an overpressure valve, so that if you put too much air in at depth, there is a way for it to escape as the buoy ascends. Others don't have this -- a closed bag without an OPV may rupture if overfilled.

Some buoys come with reflective tape, or a place to insert a glowstick -- lots of features to consider.

But knowing what you want it to do will give you a much better ability to choose what to buy.

Took a look at your profile and decided to post a little more.

You shouldn't require a SMB at the very least. My reasoning for this is that you're only going to be doing safety stops. I've never heard of anyone deploying a SMB for a safety stop, it's kind of pointless. A safety stop is only a few minutes long, so you think about it.......uhhhh, yeah. I don't imagine you, at your current skill level, diving in any especially peculiar destination that would require you to be diving in such high current that deploying a SMB from depth would be required.

However, a safety sausage would be a good item for you. If you get blown away from the boat, you surface and blow up your little safety sausage so they can see you. I imagine it's a lot easier than holding up your fin in the air! But a SMB is simply overkill.

If you get blown away from the boat and don't feel comfortable doing a safety stop underwater without the boat by you......then surface. It's a safety stop. It is NOT mandatory.

Don't try and make it too complicated. You're a certified OW diver......take a weekend off and drive down to some of the springs in N Florida, or if you get a long weekend jet down to the Keys and do some diving at the OW level.

Congrats on the soon-to-be grandchild.

You shouldn't require a SMB at the very least. My reasoning for this is that you're only going to be doing safety stops. I've never heard of anyone deploying a SMB for a safety stop, it's kind of pointless. A safety stop is only a few minutes long, so you think about it.......uhhhh, yeah. I don't imagine you, at your current skill level, diving in any especially peculiar destination that would require you to be diving in such high current that deploying a SMB from depth would be required.

Everybody needs a good-sized SMB.

It's great on safety stops because it lets boaters know there's something there, so they will (hopefully) not run the diver over when surfacing.

Even if the owner can't deploy it at a safety stop right now, she will eventually, and at the very least, it's great for being found on the surface.

The the time comes that you've surfaced and there's no boat, it's really nice to have a big, bright bag to inflate.

Terry

My reasoning for this is that you're only going to be doing safety stops. I've never heard of anyone deploying a SMB for a safety stop, it's kind of pointless.

You're kidding!

I do it nearly every dive, more for the practice and kick I get out of it then actual need. But its a good idea in any case. Some of the dive sites I dive at have idiots for captains gunning their boat a few meters above my head and thank god they understand the concept of diver below.

You've never seen people deploying an SMB at a safety stop?

I've never heard of anyone deploying a SMB for a safety stop, it's kind of pointless.

You're kidding right?

You've never seen people deploying an SMB at a safety stop?

No sir, not where I dive. Massachussetts, Rhode Island, NJ, Va Beach, NC, and when I got cert'd in the florida keys I've never seen someone blow a bag for a safety stop.

Besides training, I've used one once. Anchor got yanked out, myself and the other diver I was with started one at 60ft. We were on a 120ft wreck in current. We had one so we used it since we had no reference to the boat. Having one for that situation wouldn't have been required since we didn't have decompression. We could have just surfaced just as easily. I've never had tons of insane boaters driving around by us. I don't really see how it's required for the OP's diving.

As someone mentioned, at her current skill level she isn't even going to be able to properly deploy one.

EDIT: For those that commented that it's useful to be seen on the surface, yes, it is. A safety sausage would do that for her, too.

Back
Top Bottom