saga of a rookie dry suit diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
So this evening my dive buddy and I attempted to have a nice long evening dive; the moon was shinning and the visibility at 90 feet was crystal clear.

Unfortunately this dive was not to be like the rest; I was wearing my new dry suit and I made such a rookie mistake, I severely underweighted myself. After 20 minutes of diving, my tank started to empty as well we started our gradual assent into shallower water. It was at this time I discovered that I was no longer in full control of my buoyancy.

To make a long story short, we were diving in a man made lake, due to the local Dam, and I had to crawl up to the surface skipping from large rock to large rock. At 20 feet, I had to get my buddy to release air form my wrist seal since I was holding onto the bottom with my left arm.

We learned a valuable lesson this night. When you start dry suit diving expect a large learning curve just like when you first starting diving and also check your ego at the shore when you start diving dry.

Sounds a lot like my first drysuit dive. Half a tank down, and all of a sudden I'm a cork. Funny thing is that a dozen dives later I was back down to the weight I was using that first dive. In my case my bouyancy problems wern't due to under weighting, but rather poor managment of the air in my suit.

Trust me - it'll get a lot better, real quick.

Bryan

PS: Think this was bad, wait until your first flood. Too much postivie bouyancy is nothing compared to too much negative. . .

Back
Top Bottom