San Clemente Island this weekend??? 3/20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's my favorite, too, and I had been looking at this trip, but I decided against it because I didn't think that my sinuses would cooperate. Fortunately, things have improved, and another dive opportunity has presented itself. I'll have to get out there later in the season...

I dove San Clemente last year on the Great Escape (Yes, all the way from Oklahoma) and loved it. It was my first ride ever on a boat like that and I will remember the weekend fondly.

Wish I could go :(

James

kelpmermaid:
It's my favorite, too, and I had been looking at this trip, but I decided against it because I didn't think that my sinuses would cooperate. Fortunately, things have improved, and another dive opportunity has presented itself. I'll have to get out there later in the season...

Me and my dad are planning to go on teh great escape to San Clemente island. Tell me how it is cus i've never been there before. HAve a good one!

Jason,

Here's how I remember it from a "not done that" point of view.

I showed up at the dock around 9 PM the night before. The directions and map they provide are a little tricky. The dock is behind the loud nightclub/grill. Take the walkway that leads behind it.

After you unload the vehicle, make sure you park on the North end of the lot as I hear they will tow you if you leave the car in front of the restraunt.

Stow your gear off to the side walkway of the boat and check in with the DM, who should be in the "Galley Room". He/She may instruct you to put your tank and BC at a tie-down position first.

The DM verifies your receipt from the store (at least he did with me) and gives you a small stack of paperwork to fill out. Somewhere in here, it is a good idea to grab a good bunk downstairs. Just throw some of your stuff on it to mark it as claimed.

The boat headed out about 11'ish, if I remember right. I knew I wouldn't sleep too well because it was all exciting for me. (never even been on a boat like this before).

A couple of us drank warm cider on the bow and watched the stars come out as the boat got away from the lights. It takes about 7-8 hours to get to San Clemente Island, so sleep is a good idea.

About 2 AM, I crawled into my bunk for some sleep. The boat rocks back and forth a bit. It took a little getting used to, but I managed to slip into a slumber after an hour or so.

The crew timed it perfectly in the morning. A voice came over the loudspeaker saying "Good morning. Welcome to the Great Escape and San Clemente Island. We're about 10 minutes from the diving site...." As I got out of the little stairway up to the galley, the orange sun was about 1/3 up from the water. Good timing indeed!

We were anchored off of the North side of the island. San Clemente has tall Northern cliffs that tower over the ocean, adding a surreal element to the experience. The seas were calm and you could hear some of the birds in the distance.

The day started with an immediate morning dive. Everyone collected thier dive gear and and started slipping into wet/dry suits. The DM gave a briefing regarding boat and diving rules, as well as the hazards of San Clemente. He talked about the kelp and what to do if you get tangled. He also warned us that there are still a few unexploded bombs around. Stay clear of them and let someone know where they are if you see any. He then gave me some extra pointers when he saw I was from Oklahoma. I really appreciated that after a weekend of "trust me" dives in Cozumel the month prior.

One big thing I remember about the kelp is that you will not be able to just roll over and swim backwards on the surface like a lake or open ocean You will have to submerge and swim under the patches if you have to move somewhere on the surface. Underwater, I didn't have any problems. It's easy to pull off the stalks as long as you stay neutral and calm.

He then made sure everyone had buddies. I was by myself, so was paired with a stranger. He was a good buddy, but a little heavy on the air consumption. No big deal, though I still had a wonderful time.

Our first dive was known as "Window Pane". It is a pinnacle of rock whose tip is around 30-40 fsw. The sides go down to about 120 fsw. Descending, we could see the bubbles coming up from the hardcore, dry-suit divers already at the bottom. We started to take a deep bounce dive to see what was down there, but hit a nasty thermocline at about 70 feet. It was WAY too cold for me. I gave my buddy the "I'm cold", followed by a "let's go back up and level" sign. We spent that dive wandering around the kelp and coral seeing the cool sights.

Climbing back up the ladder, we were welcomed by a smell of breakfast! They fed us like a hungry army. It was a big, good buffet! They start cooking it before the first dive to make you even more hungry.

After breakfast the boat moved to just off the Southern island tip. This was a shallower dive, but had some surge. It took some getting used to, but was another enjoyable dive. My buddy found a nice, clean clam shell about 6" long. We also found a few abandoned traps. The last dive was back on the Northern cliff area and was a short one. Lunch was served and we headed home - tummies full and tired.

We pulled into port about 8 PM.

Up to then, I had about 50 total dives (mostly lake dives) all within 7 months. For ocean diving, I had only one trip to Cozumel the month before. This trip was a little bit of a shock for me; but it was a very good one.

I met some wonderful nice people that day. I pretty much fell in love with a blonde girl whom I didn't even know, or even remember her name now. (I couldn't figure out if her buddy was a friend, or a guy she was dating - I'm still trying to understand the Southern Cal culture :confused2 ) But who cares. I have a memory of standing on the bow at night looking up to an emerging, starry sky, looking down at the brilliant blue biolumenescent display in the water, and then hearing the voice of a model-material, Californian blonde girl asking me about the stars. Add to that the memory of smelling her perfume in the wind... I'll make a confession here - there is a new definition of Heaven in James' life. Yeah, it sounds cheezy, but I WILL NEVER forget that moment as long as I live.

Disclaimer: An Engineer's existance is sometimes far different than that of the rest of the world. It's not like the college football scholarship or the male model job didn't work out and we took this career as a backup. Moments such as this may be common for the rest of the population, but they are religious experiences for us....just bear with me here... back to the diving stuff....

There you have it, Jason, My Great Escape story - San Clemente Style. Given the opportunity, and the good graces of fate, you will see me in line to board again - with a thicker wetsuit this time...and a pillow.. don't forget an extra pillow..

Take care - happy diving!

James

Stingray81888:
Me and my dad are planning to go on teh great escape to San Clemente island. Tell me how it is cus i've never been there before. HAve a good one!

Falcon99:
Jason,

Here's how I remember it from a "not done that" point of view.

I showed up at the dock around 9 PM the night before. The directions and map they provide are a little tricky. The dock is behind the loud nightclub/grill. Take the walkway that leads behind it.

After you unload the vehicle, make sure you park on the North end of the lot as I hear they will tow you if you leave the car in front of the restraunt.

Stow your gear off to the side walkway of the boat and check in with the DM, who should be in the "Galley Room". He/She may instruct you to put your tank and BC at a tie-down position first.

The DM verifies your receipt from the store (at least he did with me) and gives you a small stack of paperwork to fill out. Somewhere in here, it is a good idea to grab a good bunk downstairs. Just throw some of your stuff on it to mark it as claimed.

The boat headed out about 11'ish, if I remember right. I knew I wouldn't sleep too well because it was all exciting for me. (never even been on a boat like this before).

A couple of us drank warm cider on the bow and watched the stars come out as the boat got away from the lights. It takes about 7-8 hours to get to San Clemente Island, so sleep is a good idea.

About 2 AM, I crawled into my bunk for some sleep. The boat rocks back and forth a bit. It took a little getting used to, but I managed to slip into a slumber after an hour or so.

The crew timed it perfectly in the morning. A voice came over the loudspeaker saying "Good morning. Welcome to the Great Escape and San Clemente Island. We're about 10 minutes from the diving site...." As I got out of the little stairway up to the galley, the orange sun was about 1/3 up from the water. Good timing indeed!

We were anchored off of the North side of the island. San Clemente has tall Northern cliffs that tower over the ocean, adding a surreal element to the experience. The seas were calm and you could hear some of the birds in the distance.

The day started with an immediate morning dive. Everyone collected thier dive gear and and started slipping into wet/dry suits. The DM gave a briefing regarding boat and diving rules, as well as the hazards of San Clemente. He talked about the kelp and what to do if you get tangled. He also warned us that there are still a few unexploded bombs around. Stay clear of them and let someone know where they are if you see any. He then gave me some extra pointers when he saw I was from Oklahoma. I really appreciated that after a weekend of "trust me" dives in Cozumel the month prior.

One big thing I remember about the kelp is that you will not be able to just roll over and swim backwards on the surface like a lake or open ocean You will have to submerge and swim under the patches if you have to move somewhere on the surface. Underwater, I didn't have any problems. It's easy to pull off the stalks as long as you stay neutral and calm.

He then made sure everyone had buddies. I was by myself, so was paired with a stranger. He was a good buddy, but a little heavy on the air consumption. No big deal, though I still had a wonderful time.

Our first dive was known as "Window Pane". It is a pinnacle of rock whose tip is around 30-40 fsw. The sides go down to about 120 fsw. Descending, we could see the bubbles coming up from the hardcore, dry-suit divers already at the bottom. We started to take a deep bounce dive to see what was down there, but hit a nasty thermocline at about 70 feet. It was WAY too cold for me. I gave my buddy the "I'm cold", followed by a "let's go back up and level" sign. We spent that dive wandering around the kelp and coral seeing the cool sights.

Climbing back up the ladder, we were welcomed by a smell of breakfast! They fed us like a hungry army. It was a big, good buffet! They start cooking it before the first dive to make you even more hungry.

After breakfast the boat moved to just off the Southern island tip. This was a shallower dive, but had some surge. It took some getting used to, but was another enjoyable dive. My buddy found a nice, clean clam shell about 6" long. We also found a few abandoned traps. The last dive was back on the Northern cliff area and was a short one. Lunch was served and we headed home - tummies full and tired.

We pulled into port about 8 PM.

Up to then, I had about 50 total dives (mostly lake dives) all within 7 months. For ocean diving, I had only one trip to Cozumel the month before. This trip was a little bit of a shock for me; but it was a very good one.

I met some wonderful nice people that day. I pretty much fell in love with a blonde girl whom I didn't even know, or even remember her name now. (I couldn't figure out if her buddy was a friend, or a guy she was dating - I'm still trying to understand the Southern Cal culture :confused2 ) But who cares. I have a memory of standing on the bow at night looking up to an emerging, starry sky, looking down at the brilliant blue biolumenescent display in the water, and then hearing the voice of a model-material, Californian blonde girl asking me about the stars. Add to that the memory of smelling her perfume in the wind... I'll make a confession here - there is a new definition of Heaven in James' life. Yeah, it sounds cheezy, but I WILL NEVER forget that moment as long as I live.

Disclaimer: An Engineer's existance is sometimes far different than that of the rest of the world. It's not like the college football scholarship or the male model job didn't work out and we took this career as a backup. Moments such as this may be common for the rest of the population, but they are religious experiences for us....just bear with me here... back to the diving stuff....

There you have it, Jason, My Great Escape story - San Clemente Style. Given the opportunity, and the good graces of fate, you will see me in line to board again - with a thicker wetsuit this time...and a pillow.. don't forget an extra pillow..

Take care - happy diving!

James

Glad you had a positive experience! I LOVE the Great Escape...hmmmmm check back in you Dive Log and let me know exactly when you were on the boat, maybe I was there too...Not the blonde, I'm a red head! ....grins.

Stingray81888:

Hi Jason,

When I dive San Clemente Island, I usually ALWAYS book through http://Reefseekers.com They are well organized and SAFE, and a great group to dive with. The boat is usually the Great Escape or the Encore, both located in Long Beach.

The Great Escape is located at a commerical fishing landing. There is a restaurant there as well, but I would not call it a club....far from being a club. LOL

We board after 9pm. I usally load my gear on deck, usually at the bow, for there is more room. Then I check in, fill in the necessary paper work, ect. Make sure you have your C-Card with you, or you will not be allowed to dive. After you have your paper work completed, get yourself a bunk. Then, go ahead and get your BC, weights, first and second stage set up on your tank. That way, it will be ready to go in the morning.

Reefseekers usually gives a briefing at 10:45pm at night. The boat usually leaves for San Clemente Island between 1 and 2am. It is a bout a 6 hour crusie. Take Bomine or Dramamine if you are prone to sea sickness. Even if you're not, it's a good idea anyway.

The diving in San Cemente Island is awesome. The DM will give a briefing of each dive site before the gates open. Viz is usually 80+ feet. Awesome wall diving, crevices, arches, ect. If you have an UW camera, bring it along as well. I just have a Canon Elph 230 and has served me well. No fancy strobes or external lights to bother with. I like the cold water and I use a 7mm wet suit and no hood. I would say water temps are in the high 50's at depth.

I hope this helps as well.

Regards

Hi Jan! September 6th :) Forgive me if I don't remember you :( But then again, there were about 30 people on the boat...

I'm sure I will see you guys again....

James

Diver_Jan:
Glad you had a positive experience! I LOVE the Great Escape...hmmmmm check back in you Dive Log and let me know exactly when you were on the boat, maybe I was there too...Not the blonde, I'm a red head! ....grins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom