San Francisco Abalone Poacher Busted Three Times in Three Weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem here is we're only going after the suppliers. I'm certain the buyers know that these abalones are illegaly purchased. How the hell are you getting fresh local abalones when the harvesting season has ended? You've got to hit the buyers as well.

Unfortunately, I doubt our state has the resources to mount such an investigation. I do hope that the law imposes the maximum penalty allowable, if the court finds them guilty.

C.

The problem is the rewards of getting away with the crime far outweigh the consequences.
In order to stop this fines and or imprisonment wont work, they have no fear of the law or the consequences, they think it's a joke and will do it anyway, they've proved that. They need to be physically stopped from being able to commit these crimes.

I leave the rest to your imagination.

The problem here is we're only going after the suppliers. I'm certain the buyers know that these abalones are illegaly purchased. How the hell are you getting fresh local abalones when the harvesting season has ended? You've got to hit the buyers as well.

Unfortunately, I doubt our state has the resources to mount such an investigation. I do hope that the law imposes the maximum penalty allowable, if the court finds them guilty.

C.

There's a show on NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC channel called "WILD JUSTICE". It's about California Game Wardens.

It's showed them in a couple of episodes going after not only the poachers, but also the "dealers". (stores that sell them).

check it out.

There are Dive stores in the greater SF Bay area who are regular outfitters for the poachers.

Every time the poacher gets busted their dive gear is confiscated. This makes for nice repeat sales. These stores normally know they are selling to poachers. They hope they get busted so they can sell them another full set of gear.

Good for the stores, perhaps, not so good for the endangered Abalone.

What is punishment for poaching abalone? Fines, confiscate gear, car etc.

What do they sell them for?

Hopefully, the penalties are high enough to stop this poaching.

What is punishment for poaching abalone? Fines, confiscate gear, car etc.

What do they sell them for?

Hopefully, the penalties are high enough to stop this poaching.

They sell them for $100 to $150 a piece I heard. 50 abs, that's a lot of money.
The fines can be 20 to 40K but they don't care because they don't have that kind of money and they have nothing to take. The state makes a lot of noise about prison time but at the most they will get three years if it's enfored to the fullest and they do all their time.
There's talk of letting prisoners out right now for bigger crimes. Poachers aren't going to see a day in prison especially when they need to lock up violent criminals.

They know nothing will happen when it really comes down to it so they poach over and over and over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom