San Francisco Abalone Poacher Busted Three Times in Three Weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems to me like it's a underground network of rental scuba gear/tanks... Remove them from all this gear and it's much harder to poach on just breath dives.... However, that is just not happening, somehow they continue to get airfills and equipment, who is supplying them?

Seems to me like it's a underground network of rental scuba gear/tanks... Remove them from all this gear and it's much harder to poach on just breath dives.... However, that is just not happening, somehow they continue to get airfills and equipment, who is supplying them?

Scuba gear is obviously not difficult to acquire. Kayaks either, apparently. The judge should set a very high bail or no bail at all. Problem solved...

Sounds like we need to take the law into our own hands! CA just like every other state is bankrupt. Just as was stated they are letting inmates go to lower the deficit. Just like finning you have to go after the buyers. Without resources/money wardens, food inspectors, and who ever else is suppose to safeguard the food supply won't be able to do their jobs. So when or if you hear of a restaurant selling abalone boycott them and spread the word they are operating illegally.

Just make sure those restaurants aren't selling legal, "farm-raised" abalone. We had one restaurant here on Catalina that served them.

How is the shop to know they are poaching? They got a C-card,
the get gear and fills.

How is the shop to know they are poaching? They got a C-card,
the get gear and fills.

No c-card required for freediving gear and no fishing liscense needed to buy an ab iron. Cash is the only requirement. You have to wonder if anyone this stupid has had any success poaching before.

Maybe his being sentenced to a year in jail will discourage him.

LA Times:
A San Francisco man who was caught taking abalone out of season three times over a three-week span has been sentenced to one year in prison, fined $20,000 and had his fishing privileges revoked for life.

But only for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But his fishing privileges were revoked for life... and I like the use of the word "privileges" here.

Back
Top Bottom