Sarangani Bay 5,000 Artificial Reef Dome Project!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi justleesa,
What we dit was to get about 500 domes in the water first before the local authorities even knew what we were doing so it was too late for permits by that time and nobody has really bothered us since!
With the exchange rate now, the cost of a dome is still 200 peso's which is a bit more than 4 dollars, still cheap!

Great job guys and definitely a great story. It's hard to believe concrete in that cheap! How long does it take for the dome to become completely covered?

At Atlantis in Dumaguete, their house reef had tires strung together to form a reef, which seemed to work well. I've read in Florida that their tire reefs had to be dismantled because they were reeking havoc on reefs and washing up on shore but concrete seems to be used at lots of places.

Tire reef off Florida proves a disaster - USATODAY.com

Hi,
I started a blog on how the blocks are made today showing a hollow block where the domes idea came from, there should be a seriese of pictures starting tomorow how to make them, I hope these show you how to make them!

Okay, where is the BLOG page? When will you post instructions? We are anxious to make our own and need instructions.

Makar step 1
2560264161_525cc1d77a.jpg

step 2
2561086516_5f3201efe3.jpg

step3
2561086584_e7dbedbabe.jpg

step4
2561086646_e439fd8df8.jpg

step 5
2561086692_b80a90f968.jpg

next
2560264459_d1d5a0e83d.jpg

final product
2560264543_454811fc79.jpg

If I remember correctly, there is a place close to Tinoto that had some old tires put in as an artificial reef? By the local govt or some such entity. These tires had been in the water for quite a few years before the dome project started, but the concrete domes show much more growth in just a couple years vs the old tires that have been there much longer.

Of course, critters will be drawn to anything that offers the opportunity for food and shelter. Interesting critters hang out on old ropes laying on the sand, concrete mooring blocks, old cans and bottles, etc. The point being that providing habitat where there was none before should result in more marine life hanging out. It's just that some things are more suited to drawing interest of the fishies...and these concrete domes seem to work well.

Cheers to these guys for putting so much time, effort, and pesos into this project, they are certainly making a positive contribution. As a diver who has enjoyed a few visits to the Gensan area, I really get a kick out of seeing the progress the domes are making. It is good fun to check out the new dome reefs while diving and see what new critters are moving in as time passes. I'm glad to see this project being discussed here.

Last edited:
How to build a reef dome!
Our main dome we call MAKAR after the local shipping warfe! We also have FISHPORT, MUSHROOM and CAMBRIDGE which we dropped as it was too labor intensive and time consuming to build!
In order to keep prices as cheap as possible we have used only materials that are easily available locally! We found the rubber tubs at the fish port, they are very strong and cost about p1,600 a pair but that was good value as the 3 sets we purchased are still alive and in use and as a bi product we make heavy duty plower pots from the moulds!
In order to make the holes in the domes we first used cut banana storks which worked well but after a while my wife growled at us as we were running out of banana plants so we went to a Torno, a lathe guy who made us some tapered hardwood plugs which could be re used many times!
The oil we used for lubricating the forms was not correct mould oil but used vegetable oil that we got from the fast food outlets, being vegetable oil it is not a polutant so it can be used as mould oil is hard to find here!
The steel rings we use for the reinforcement of the lip of the dome is just 7mm deformed bar!
For 3 of these Makar domes we use 2 bags of cement in the mix!
Step 1,
Clean the inside of the base tub and oil, Place in the oiled plugs as required, we added extra depressions made from the cut tops of vinegar or sauce bottles for transplants!
Step 2,
Make up your desired concrete mix and fill the base to the top of the plugs, do not compact the concrete too much as you need air voids in order to cet a bit of a honeycomb finish making life easy for the marine organisms to take hold!
Step 3,
Clean, oil and set in the center of the lower mould your inner form, be sure to weight this down well or it will float when the main side concrete is poured in! The harder and stronger the concrete makes it harder for the marine organisms to colonize the domes so do not allow structural engineers to get involved!
Step 4,
Pill the bottom few inches with concrete and set in your side plugs and keep on filling your sides until about 2 inches from your desired fill hight and set in your steel support ring! This ring is just for support while you get the dome into position, after that is serves no purpose so do not go craze on good steel! once in position cover the steel with concrete up to about 1 inch from the top of the tub, this eill allow the completed form to be removed more easily when set!
We usually cast one set of domes in the morning then remove the inner form in the early afternoon, the main dome is left to cure for 24 hours before the tub is simply flipped over, you jump un the base of the form and the dome should slide free!
The Plugs can then carefully be knocked out and the completed dome left to cure fore a few day before being deployed in the water!
We also make Anchor blocks from these dome moulds!
The domes can be deployed by simply rolling them into position from shore or lowered into the water form a boat on a rope! ow you actually position them is up to your immagination!
I think that explains in easy steps how to build the makar dome, later I will explain about the Mushroom dome!
If you have any questions, please get back to me!

How To Construct the Domes,
See the Pics of Dr Stan and then Read my explanation text! I hope I made it easy to understand!

This is a cheap and easy way to restore the reefs! I will be over the moon if other people use this or similar simple designs of artificial reef modules to help the oceans!

thanks for this thread. this is something we can duplicate in some areas of anilao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom